Where Do You Play Real World Pinball Tables?

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I do wish somebody would tell operators that it's actually pretty easy to keep a pin in good functioning order... and that it might take a fair bit more money in that state too. :rolleyes:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I do wish somebody would tell operators that it's actually pretty easy to keep a pin in good functioning order... and that it might take a fair bit more money in that state too. :rolleyes:

There's definitely a death spiral that these machines get into. The operator spends less money on maintenance because the pin is seen as a low-earning legacy item, things start breaking, and then it takes in even less money and the operator starts itching to unload it.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
There's definitely a death spiral that these machines get into. The operator spends less money on maintenance because the pin is seen as a low-earning legacy item, things start breaking, and then it takes in even less money and the operator starts itching to unload it.
I'm sure the crazy prices pinballs are fetching has accelerated that process too.

I've only met one operator who really looks after his pinballs, and that's because he loves them. I briefly worked for a rival operator and I got into trouble for spending too long fixing up a Whitewater and a Monster Bash before they went on site. It paid off in the end though, as they worked perfectly for months after that.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
The other day I checked out the candlepin bowling alley down the street, Academy Lanes in Haverhill, Mass., and saw that they had a Stern Iron Man. It wasn't powered up at the time, though (it was a Friday morning, when the place caters to a mostly retiree crowd; I was there with my daughter, who had the day off from school. They probably fire it up on weekends with the other few arcade games they've got.)

Still, that's a pin within walking distance for me.

SilverBallAddict

Sep 1, 2012
All this talk of real world pinball has me green with jealousy! I don't know of any tables near me whatsoever. If anyone knows if any in Edinburgh, Scotland, or anywhere fairly close, please post. Would love to get my fix on a real table.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Ventured out from London for some pinball action by the sea - what a depressing experience! Found a few tables, but every one of them had problems that made them pretty much unplayable. Fish Tales (broken DMD, weak flippers), Monster Bash (very weak flippers), Revenge from Mars (weak flippers, DMD faulty), Playboy (not working), Indiana Jones (weak flipper but just about playable), Addams Family (weak left flipper, multiball broken, ball gets jammed easily), RBION (broken DMD), Elvis (rubbers split on flippers so didn't bother) and Dr Who. Thank god for Pinball Arcade.

Last edited:

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Found a great looking and playing Lord of the Rings at the Garden Cinemas in Greenfield, MA. They also had a Jurassic Park that looked to be in good condition, but my daughter, whom I was taking to the movies, barely tolerated my few games of LOTR so I didn't get a change to have a go at the JP. Maybe next time!

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas... I usually go a few times per month. As awesome as it is, there are still so many tables that I want to play that they just don't have.

Jazza

Aug 19, 2012
Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas... I usually go a few times per month. As awesome as it is, there are still so many tables that I want to play that they just don't have.

Can't wait to go this place. Locked in for the next Vegas trip.

damon5334

Sep 5, 2012
Surprised I hadn't seen this one posted yet for fellow St. Louis..ians?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/orbit-pinball-lounge-saint-louis

21 and up, and smoke free.
Just opened a month or so ago. They have about 10 tables, all in pretty good condition (from what I could tell).
$.50 a credit, so fairly cheap IMO
They have:
Star Wars
Tales from the Crypt
Simpsons
South Park
WWF Royal Rumble
Monopoly (was out of order last time I went)
Last Action Hero
Jurassic Park
Starship Troopers
and one other table that I'm forgetting.

SuperGrafx

Aug 26, 2012
I actually have several great options nearby:

Funworld (Ironman, AC/DC, Transformers @ 4 tokens for 3 plays)
Pinball Wizard Arcade (a literal pinball heaven with well-maintained machines)
Funspot (tons of classic pins)

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
This is one of my favorite threads on the board, and I haven't updated it in a while so... BEHOLD! (All locations in Chicago)

Lincoln Square Lanes

Addams Family, T2 and F-14 Tomcat. Incredible lineup. Unfortunately, they all have issues. TAF's playfield is a bit warped, but is otherwise okay (definitely in the best shape of the three.) T2's playfield is VERY warped (the ball almost comes to a stop when it goes through the right inlane.) F-14 has been OOO every time I've visited until recently. It now works, but the upper left flipper is all jittery (with the flipper button engaged, the lower flipper stays up as it should, but the upper flipper flips up and down as if it were being pushed rapidly.)

CameraZOOM-20120729132510597.jpg

Northdown Cafe and Taproom

Simpsons Pinball Party, NASCAR, and Starship Troopers. All three in great shape. SPP has occasional issues with registering balls headed to the upper playfield (fine for first two games, required ball search on second two, fine for last two) but otherwise, great. NASCAR would occasionally send an extra ball out during ball start. Starship Troopers was okay, but the playfield inset varied ball path (not sure if it is supposed to, first one I've ever played.) Replay settings VERY generous on NASCAR and SPP. When I got there, SPP was 5Mil, NASCAR was 10Mil. Match also kicked gave extra games more frequently than I expected. For instance, here's what I saw on a single credit for NASCAR:

Replay
Match
Replay+Special
Nothing
Replay
Nothing

Six games from one credit = win!

CameraZOOM-20120908143428174.jpg

Timber Lanes

Just a POTC, which is in perfect condition, except the backglass has no lights. So it goes. But, as an added bonus: The tilt seems to be set to "OFF." Not, generous, not liberal, but straight up OFF. I was unable to register even a warning, even when I tried a slam tilt. As such, the high scores are ridiculous, but the replay drops to a reasonable setting after a few games, and because you can't tilt, it's pretty easy to earn. This game is fantastic.

CameraZOOM-20120908163658106.jpg

Not sure why POTC is sideways... the original image is normal.

Last edited:

Sublime

Jul 26, 2012
A few more places in Chicago to play (besides my basement)
Galloping Ghost Arcade - http://gallopingghostarcade.com/
The Galloping Ghost is an amazing arcade in Brookfield, IL. They have 357 arcade games! They recently bought the building next to them and are using it just for pins. They have about 7 right now including a Twilight Zone

Brixie's http://brixies.com/
Brixie's Bar and Grill. This place is across the street from the Galloping Ghost. The owner loves pins and has a Medieval Madness, Tron Legacy LE, and a Cactus Canyon. All are kept up and beautiful. Very cool.

There's also Gameworks in Schaumburg that has all the new Sterns plus Iron Man, Family Guy, Sopranos, Tron, Transformers, Avatar, AC/DC. They used to have a NASCAR, and Ripley's machine too.

immortalmindz

Jul 29, 2012
Ventured out from London for some pinball action by the sea - what a depressing experience! Found a few tables, but every one of them had problems that made them pretty much unplayable. Fish Tales (broken DMD, weak flippers), Monster Bash (very weak flippers), Revenge from Mars (weak flippers, DMD faulty), Playboy (not working), Indiana Jones (weak flipper but just about playable), Addams Family (weak left flipper, multiball broken, ball gets jammed easily), RBION (broken DMD), Elvis (rubbers split on flippers so didn't bother) and Dr Who. Thank god for Pinball Arcade.

Was this at Southend?

robotronjohn77

Sep 13, 2012
Found an awesome place in NC. Well two to be honest...

Lost Ark Video Games - 18 pinball games .... current line up ACDC LTBR premium, demolition man, white water, Indiana Jones (wms), world cup soccer, monopoly, who dunnit, dirty harry, banzai run, tales from the crypt, star wars (sega), star wars ep1 (p2k), Dr who, twilight zone, whirlwind, Flintstones, xmen le, iron man w/ shaker... they are just down the street from the college in Greensboro. All the games are clean and work great. They have other pinball machines they rotate with. They run monthly tournaments. They have a large selection videogames, mostly Japanese cabinets and board sets. They also run a used console game shop with lots of vintage carts and game systems. I drive 90 minutes to get there but its worth it... oh and they give you 3 games for a buck! On all the pinball machines!

The other place is near the outer banks at an arcade called Flippers. They have upwards of 100 pinball machines, so I was told. They have a Big Bang Bar.... tournament is in November... grand prize is 500 bucks and a pinball machine!

There is an arcade in Raleigh NC that has 4 stern games. But they are not keeping their games working as they should and they charge a buck a game for 4 balls. No thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.