Where's the tournament?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's $20 for an A Division entry, $15 for a B Division entry, and $10 for a C Division entry. Each entry lets you play 5 games that you pick from a set of 10 to 12 machines designation for your division. But you have to count all 5 scores on that entry or count none of them. If you did well on tables B, C and E on entry #1, and then did better on tables A, C and D on entry #2, you can't mix the scores from the two entries. Each entry is ranked on its own merits. (For the complete details, see the PAPA 16 rules.)

So a less skilled and less consistent player (such as myself) would be highly unlikely to find himself on top of A Division even if he were provided an infinite bankroll, as it is extremely unlikely that he would play 5 qualifying-worthy games in a row. So the PAPA system rewards consistent above-average play even if you don't necessarily blow the coin door off any of the machines, whereas the current FarSight system rewards persistent play of each table in turn until you achieve a "miracle" game.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Well as much as I'm enjoying tournament play I certainly won't be paying to play. Farsight have already said though that that's the way they are going, can't find the thread but its here somewhere.

Edit: ok, found the post. It was in the beta section of the forum so I wouldn't normally post this here but I'm sure it's been said elsewhere too so no harm in copying it here;

In answer to questions mainly from me Farsight Ryan posted this back in November ;

" Hey guys, glad you are enjoying it. As you can see its definitely in a Beta stage since we are still improving and designing the finer details. There will most certainly be bugs so please feel free to report them, Stephen will pick them up. Few things to note. The ui you are seeing for the tournament will be replaced soon, so if it looks rough its because we just wanted you guys to be able to use its functionality while the new screen is being put in place. When Android goes like I plan on ending the tournament and starting over fresh. Eventually the plan management has in store (as might be gleaned from the intro rules text) is to allow users a certain amount of retries per table. After that it will most likely allow them to retry with some kind of consumable model (purchased tokens or something). This is still in the works, but for now its unlimited to allow you to try it out.

will we be able to setup our own tournaments? - That is farther down the line once the original concept is smoothed out, but yes, this is something we plan on doing if its feasible.

select which tables to play? - That would tie in to the above question yes.
duration? - why not, though we may for the sake of database integrity and bloat max the duration
limit entry? - Password protected I believe was the idea.
I'm not sure limiting the points available for each table to 100 pts is a good idea, surely by the end of the tournament there will be many players with 400 pts ( in a 4 table tourney ) so no actual winner? how are you going to get around this? maybe make the target score to get 100 points almost un-reachable? - The point system is made in such a way that the top ranking player for said table gets 100, 2nd place 90, third 85, then 4th -> X amount of people its interpolated linearly from 84 to 1 so in theory noone will have the same amount of points on a single table. Points are added up for the overall.

We plan on making all of this more clear as we move past beta, but feel free to give us your feedback here as we would love to know what you think.

As always, thanks for your support guys =) "

Last edited:

Roy Wils

Apr 17, 2012
thanks Kevlar..

i just finished up an STTNG with almost 70Billion ;) taking first place on that too, i love the tournament so far..

its an nice idea a lot of people in the world sees my name and thinks who the hell is that guy ;) i received some messages on Facebook. being asking for pinball tips lately.. :)

fenderbendr

Dec 1, 2012
thanks Kevlar..

i just finished up an STTNG with almost 70Billion ;) taking first place on that too, i love the tournament so far..

its an nice idea a lot of people in the world sees my name and thinks who the hell is that guy ;) i received some messages on Facebook. being asking for pinball tips lately.. :)
Yeah, just show them this and they'll know who you are. ;)

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
thanks Kevlar..

Yes, nice job on Genie. I am gunning to take that back over:D

karl

May 10, 2012
I think it speaks well of TPA when a great player like Roy do so well in a digital pinball game. For the next one I am hoping there will be fewer tables and a shorter time period for the tournament. Maybe a limit to how many rounds on each table you can enter. Turn off the ability to cancel a game after one bad ball.

About the extra balls: I think not allowing any extra balls will turn off too many average players and if we want Farsight to continue hosting tournaments they need a lot of players to participate to make it worth their while.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Now that the tourney is done, when can we expect the custom balls? Not complaining or anything here, just curious do they post it? Or does it come with the next update? I think i may run into issues as my farsight acct email is different from my Apple/iTunes acct.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I don't really care about the reward, just looking forward to the next one (HOPEFULLY WITHOUT EXTRA BALLS ON HINT HINT).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts