Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Back when I played around with MAME, my go-to games were:

Mr Do! (is this a "classic"? not sure...)
1942 (played it a ton in a pub I used to frequent)

One game I wasn't able to find on MAME (or could I? maybe I did? dunno) was one called Super Locomotive. I played the heck out of that one summer back in the 80s and got seriously good at it. It was gone next summer...

And there was some top-down multi-directional "arena" shooter that I really liked, that had these metallic relief graphics, whose name I didn't even know at the time I was playing it. I remember the enemy bullets were these small yellow/green bubbles and it got pretty hectic, and bosses would sometimes crop up by "slamming" together in the middle of the screen. I think maybe I found that on MAME once, but I still don't remember what it's called.

How is MAME these days, just for running on a PC without messing with building/purchasing any kind of cab / controller? Will it work with an X360 controller?

Still runs great. It's pretty much the same thing it's been for years. The Raspberry Pi versions run from 2003 rom sets. I don't have a cab yet and I usually just use my keyboard. Especially if you aren't playing fighters. You can set it up for controllers too. You can go super simple and just play via browser and the Internet Arcade. 5 to insert coin. 1 to start. Arrow keys for Up/Down/Left/Right and CTRL/ALT/SPACE for button 1/2/3

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
What are some of your favorite non "classic" arcade titles? I realize "classic" is somewhat subjective, but there are the early big games that everyone looks for (PacMan, Galaga, Centipede, Donkey Kong, etc.) and then there are the games that came after when the boom happened.
Strangely, I love Pacman and Galaga etc, but after that I dont care much for arcadegames untill CPS1 era hit...so Final Fight etc. Not too surprising as I was 10 at that time and arcade cabinets were sparse in Holland.

So my favourite nonclassics would be
Final Fight
Operation Wolf
Hammerin Harry
TMNT arcade
Simpsons
Bad Dudes
Mortal Kombat

After that I got way more into Gameboy and pc (sadly never an actual snes, but thats my favourite classic system now). Also arcadecabinets really went away in the early 90’s here. At most we got a few at a carnival once a year.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Bit late to this thread, but there is some interesting questions and topics in here.

Personally I 'hacked' a Super Nintendo Classic for my emulation needs, including a flashdrive for the roms etc. As frontend, I use the Snes-mini UI and for emulation I use Nintendo's own SNES-emulator (Canoe, the same emulator they use for virtual console) for my SnesRoms (it has very low latency). I use Retroarch for everything else (Mame, Neogeo, and other 16 bit consoles + PSX). I use a Wii Pro controller on it. Great little setup.

My Go To's are SNES games and arcade puzzle battlers (Money Puzzle Exchanger is my family's favourite), together with SHMUPS (both the Metal Slug variety as well a the 1942/3/4 R-type Lifeforce kind). But basically I have everything on there.

The EU and US SSF2/SSF2 Turbo + Ultimate are notorious for cheating AI. The AI actually reads your controllerinput and counters said inputperfectly. Plus it does moves that a human player physically can not (ie: forward walking Sonic Boom). Intersting read of it here

Instead, play the Japanese Releases of HF, Turbo or Super. The AI is fine in it. I just tend to use Hyper Street Fighter 2 AE (Japan). As it has all characters from all versions.

My personal favourite is Streetfighter Alpha 2. Or specifically Streetfighter Zero 2 Alpha (released as SF Alpha 2 Gold on PS2). But I'm generally not great at fighters. Not sure if I've seen it mentioned here, but have you tried Garou: Mark of the Wolf?

Good stuff. I’ll check out the Japanese versions when I get home.

I don’t think I have tried Garou yet, but looks really cool.

Speaking of Alpha 2 Gold, Jeff, are you sure that isn't the version you've been playing? In A2G you activate CCs with HP+HK and it costs 1.5 instead of 1.

Could be, but was that version released in the arcades? Won’t be home till tomorrow, but pretty sure the ROM I’ve been using is sfa2.zip, so I think it’s just the Euro version of Alpha 2. The only console version I’ve played so far is Alpha 3 Max on PSP.

What are some of your favorite non "classic" arcade titles? I realize "classic" is somewhat subjective, but there are the early big games that everyone looks for (PacMan, Galaga, Centipede, Donkey Kong, etc.) and then there are the games that came after when the boom happened. These are a few of mine.

Super Contra
Bank Panic
Sky (Flying) Shark
Rush n Attack
Crystal Castles
Elevator Action
Rolling Thunder

Rampart
Vendetta
Rush n Attack
P.O.W.
Bad Dudes
Shinobi
Ninja Gaiden
Golden Axe
NBA Jam
NFL Blitz

Some of those were pretty popular, but can’t think of too many obscure titles off the top of my head.

Back when I played around with MAME, my go-to games were:

Mr Do! (is this a "classic"? not sure...)
1942 (played it a ton in a pub I used to frequent)

One game I wasn't able to find on MAME (or could I? maybe I did? dunno) was one called Super Locomotive. I played the heck out of that one summer back in the 80s and got seriously good at it. It was gone next summer...

And there was some top-down multi-directional "arena" shooter that I really liked, that had these metallic relief graphics, whose name I didn't even know at the time I was playing it. I remember the enemy bullets were these small yellow/green bubbles and it got pretty hectic, and bosses would sometimes crop up by "slamming" together in the middle of the screen. I think maybe I found that on MAME once, but I still don't remember what it's called.

How is MAME these days, just for running on a PC without messing with building/purchasing any kind of cab / controller? Will it work with an X360 controller?

MAME is built into Retroarch now (along with a ton of other emulators), so that makes it really easy. It automatically detects your controller and sets your controls for each emulator, plus has a bunch of other features like save states, shaders, etc.

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Strangely, I love Pacman and Galaga etc, but after that I dont care much for arcadegames untill CPS1 era hit...so Final Fight etc. Not too surprising as I was 10 at that time and arcade cabinets were sparse in Holland.

I love the quarter-to-continue beat em/shoot em up games as well. Sunset Riders, TMNT, Mercs, Bad Dudes, Double Dragon, most of em mentioned already. Crackdown kind of falls in there too and I love the side by side 2 player stealthiness part of it and I should have put that on my list.

Rampart
Vendetta
Rush n Attack
P.O.W.
Bad Dudes
Shinobi
Ninja Gaiden
Golden Axe
NBA Jam
NFL Blitz

Vendetta is interesting as I remember Crime Fighters, but don't think i ever played that one. Forgot about POW too. I'll have to revist those.

With so many games out there it's good to see some that haven't been on my radar in a while to look for the next time. There are so many.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Could be, but was that version released in the arcades? Won’t be home till tomorrow, but pretty sure the ROM I’ve been using is sfa2.zip, so I think it’s just the Euro version of Alpha 2. The only console version I’ve played so far is Alpha 3 Max on
Alpha 2 gold was never released in Western arcades. In japan it did, called SF zero 2 alpha. Its basically the definitive version of Alpha 2.

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Alpha 2 gold was never released in Western arcades. In japan it did, called SF zero 2 alpha. Its basically the definitive version of Alpha 2.

Alpha 2 gold was in US as a console exclusive in the Street Fighter Collection for Saturn/PSOne then republished and remixed into Street Fighter Alpha Anthology on PS2

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Ahh, I had thought Zero 2 Alpha was just the Japanese version of Alpha 2. Didn’t realize there were other differences. Cool. I’ll play around with it when I get home.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Alpha 2 > A2G

Most of the changes were for the worse. The only thing of value A2G did was nerf a few OP CCs. Vanilla is widely the preferred version.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
What are some of your favorite non "classic" arcade titles? I realize "classic" is somewhat subjective, but there are the early big games that everyone looks for (PacMan, Galaga, Centipede, Donkey Kong, etc.) and then there are the games that came after when the boom happened. These are a few of mine.

Super Contra
Bank Panic
Sky (Flying) Shark
Rush n Attack
Crystal Castles
Elevator Action
Rolling Thunder

Not gonna lie, most of the 70s and early 80s classics have never really done much for me, although there are some I enjoy. My arcade preferences have always been fighting games and stuff like:

Lethal Enforcers
Battletoads
194X games
Metal Slug games
Die Hard Arcade
Aero Fighters
Out Run
BurgerTime
Area 51
NARC
X-Men
Captain America and the Avengers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Simpsons
Cruis'n games
Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja
Spy Hunter
Sunset Riders
Aliens
Alien vs. Predator
Golden Axe
Rampage

Fighters, beat 'em ups, shmups, light gun shooters, love 'em.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I pumped so many quarters into Lethal Enforcers. Area 51 too.

One of the last arcade games I remember really enjoying was CarnEvil.

That, the Simpsons, and the first Soul Calibur were the 3 games I rocked out on in the arcade at the mall in Escanaba, MI in the U.P. before I moved away to college and it closed down. One of the last times I was there, I remember beating Soul Calibur on just a few quarters while my girlfriend shopped around. Good times.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The arcade at the old mall in Green Bay used to kick ass. The had a ton of fighting games. I think that’s where i played KoF for the first time.

I miss those arcades. Now that the music stores are gone too, there’s really no reason to go to those god-forsaken malls.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
The arcade at the old mall in Green Bay used to kick ass. The had a ton of fighting games. I think that’s where i played KoF for the first time.

I miss those arcades. Now that the music stores are gone too, there’s really no reason to go to those god-forsaken malls.

Pretty much how I remember the last arcades around me, fighting, beat'em ups and light gun games. Did recently get a new arcade in Eau Claire, WI that is about an hour from me with about 20ish old school arcade games and 8-10 pinball tables.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
nrpHOgX.jpg

Hopefully it uses the good dpad. Because most rounded dpads sucks.

Which is why I have no faith in the Retro-bit ones. There's no way RB is gonna spend the money to make the good dpads.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I pumped so many quarters into Lethal Enforcers. Area 51 too.

One of the last arcade games I remember really enjoying was CarnEvil.

That, the Simpsons, and the first Soul Calibur were the 3 games I rocked out on in the arcade at the mall in Escanaba, MI in the U.P. before I moved away to college and it closed down. One of the last times I was there, I remember beating Soul Calibur on just a few quarters while my girlfriend shopped around. Good times.

That's a neat memory. Unfortunately being a bit younger and growing up where I did, arcades around here died before girls even stopped being icky.

Been waiting for the revival to hit this area. Wausau is the only hope within 100 miles of here for a good arcade to pop up.

Now that the music stores are gone too, there’s really no reason to go to those god-forsaken malls.

More Auntie Anne's pretzels for me.

Last edited:

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I definitely have more faith in 8bitdo than Retro-bit, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach anyway. No way I'm ordering one until I see some glowing reviews!

But man, that Saturn D-pad is perhaps the best I've ever used. Here's hoping!

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
That's a neat memory. Unfortunately being a bit younger and growing up where I did, arcades around here died before girls even stopped being icky.

Been waiting for the revival to hit this area. Wausau is the only hope within 100 miles of here for a good arcade to pop up.

More Auntie Anne's pretzels for me.

Old enough to have played Aladdin's castle (Pinball) and played in Aladdin's castle (arcade). Did not do both at the same time, as the universe would have imploded.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts