Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
My brother being almost 10 years my younger doesn't enjoy the older stuff quite as much as I do, so he talked me into buying SFV while he was here this weekend since it was on sell for 10 bucks.....<snip> I still prefer the oldies, but it's a fun change of pace and the eye candy is a bonus.
My 22 yr old stepdaughter (Im 40), likes to play SF2, Tetris Battle gaiden, Tetris Attack, Money Puzzle exchanger Super bomberman and super puzzle fighter 2 versus me. Oh and she also puts those games on when her friends are over. Its kinda funny how old arcade and snesgames are pretty cool to them (but not ps1 or n64 though...they really hate how those look). My 13 yr old joins us regularly in playing those as well.

Oh and her (the 23 yr old) favourite Final Fantasy is 9, then 6. She hates 13 and 15. She thinks 7 is just kind of outdated. So other than getting 6 and 9 in reversed order she has all of that right.

Not sure Im proud of proper educating her though. She beats me over 50% in the time in those vs puzzlegames. Or in Street Fighter 2. And she has a 100% winrate in mario kart. Any mario kart.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
My 22 yr old stepdaughter (Im 40), likes to play SF2, Tetris Battle gaiden, Tetris Attack, Money Puzzle exchanger Super bomberman and super puzzle fighter 2 versus me. Oh and she also puts those games on when her friends are over. Its kinda funny how old arcade and snesgames are pretty cool to them (but not ps1 or n64 though...they really hate how those look). My 13 yr old joins us regularly in playing those as well.

Oh and her (the 23 yr old) favourite Final Fantasy is 9, then 6. She hates 13 and 15. She thinks 7 is just kind of outdated. So other than getting 6 and 9 in reversed order she has all of that right.

Not sure Im proud of proper educating her though. She beats me over 50% in the time in those vs puzzlegames. Or in Street Fighter 2. And she has a 100% winrate in mario kart. Any mario kart.

That is the coolest thing I’ve read in awhile. You’ve trained her well. Sounds like the student is on her way to becoming the master.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Pretty much Im afraid. Im afraid of smash bros. coming out soon. She has mastered that since she inherited my old n64 at age 7.

Its funny when these guys drop buy (very few girls come over to play games here it seems). She just schools these punks in tetris and mario kart who try to impress the gurl with their l33t skillz. And then to add insult to injury they get beat by her dad.

My 13 yr old however likes oldschool games from a distance. She is more into mario odessey, and especially fortnite. She does however love real life pinball (but digital not at all). Her favourite is No good gophers and RBION...so she leans fowards lawler I guess :). Oh and pinball 2000 is 'really boring and dumb' she said when I asked what she thought.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I'm just waiting on the Switch version, no real hurry to pick it up. I've played 1-9 and honestly I've never been super impressed by mainline DQ.

I'd probably rank them: V > VIII > III > VII > IV > VI > IX > I > II

And for fun, my FF mainline ranking:

Favorites: V, VI, X
Good: IV, VII, IX, XII, XIII-2 (the only worthwhile sequel in the franchise)
Ok: I, III
No thanks: II, VIII, XIII, XV

Don't care about the two MMOs.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Seriously, you're all getting it wrong (of course!)

IX
IV
X
VI
VII
VIII
III
XII

... not played the rest enough to care.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Here’s a little tour of my front end in its current state. I didn’t show all the games; just hit the highlights with the collections and categories:

Still a work in progress. Playstation stuff especially. Haven’t had a chance to add any PS1 content for instance.

Got my 256 GB flash drive today so that should make things easier, hopefully, as long as it’s not a lemon.

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Here’s a little tour of my front end in its current state. I didn’t show all the games; just hit the highlights with the collections and categories:

Still a work in progress. Playstation stuff especially. Haven’t had a chance to add any PS1 content for instance.

Got my 256 GB flash drive today so that should make things easier, hopefully, as long as it’s not a lemon.

Jeff, that looks great! How much storage is it currently taking up?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks buddy! I think I’m closing in on 150 GB with my latest Playstation additions.

For the older systems, the video snaps for each game take up more room than the games themselves heh.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Totally. It's not till the N64 that things shift, and then after that when the CD/DVD age really took off...look out heh.

Also this new flash drive seems legit.

PXKXvoz.png

Transferring between my two SSDs only avergaes around 400 MB/s, so this isn't too far behind.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff, what size monitor did you go with?

My main setup is on a 55” TV with my 2 player arcade stick + trackball, but since I have everything on a USB flash drive, I can jump back and forth to my laptop when I just want to relax on the couch with a gamepad or even take it to a buddy’s house and plug into his PC.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Do old games look rough on such a large screen? Very blocky and pixelated?

I really like the simplicity of the classic arcade games from the 1980’s. A lot of fond arcade memories for me.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Do old games look rough on such a large screen? Very blocky and pixelated?

I really like the simplicity of the classic arcade games from the 1980’s. A lot of fond arcade memories for me.

Right on, I’m right there with you. My mom told me a story about how she used to set my baby seat up on a pinball machine while her and my dad played stuff like Galaga and Dig Dug for the first time (I was born in Jan of ‘81), so we were always there as a family from even before I can remember. So much of my early life was defined by hanging out in the arcades. They were larger than life back then, right along with everything else in the 80’s. I spent every moment I could at the arcade. My local mall had a pretty rad one, and of course, as you know, the cool thing about the 80’s was that there were mini arcades at every grocery store, so I’d be sure to tag along with mom and beg for some quarters while she shopped.

As for your question, in the early days of emulation it was definitely a problem, but these days the emulators have shaders/filters built in to smooth things out, and even make it look better than the original in some cases, so they scale pretty well. The shaders look great from the early arcade era up to the SNES/Genesis/N64, then after that you can actually bump up the internal resolution of the system you’re emulating to make the graphics render at a much higher level than they original did, which makes the games look significantly better than ever before. Running Gamecube or PS2 games at 4K vs. their original resolution is a huge improvement. Wish that option was available for the early stuff too, but the shaders definitely do a nice job of smoothing out the rough pixels and providing a “remastered” feel.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Impressive, man front ends have really become polished products the past couple of years. Can someone please find a way to add about 4 hours in a day so that I can find the time to work on these? Damn family keeps me too busy lol

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Impressive, man front ends have really become polished products the past couple of years. Can someone please find a way to add about 4 hours in a day so that I can find the time to work on these? Damn family keeps me too busy lol

I feel ya! I've been working on this way too much...although I'm getting to the point now where I can just enjoy it and play, so the hard work is paying off.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.