Why does the score end in 0?

leannaray

Sep 21, 2014
On a similar note, I like how some EMs have a static zero added to the end of the score reel to pretend scores are ten times greater than they are. To artificially inflate the score. It's really easy to spot as it's a fixed plastic mould that has been screwed on, really stands out!

I've often wondered why the score always ends in 0. Anyone know why? Is it really to artificially inflate the score? Why would that be required?

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I've often wondered why the score always ends in 0. Anyone know why? Is it really to artificially inflate the score? Why would that be required?

The score always ends in zero so the match sequence can occur.

Unless it's Party Zone where the score can end in a 9.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
The score always ends in zero so the match sequence can occur.

This isn't necessary. The match sequence could just operate on the ones digit instead of the tens digit. Wizard of Oz in fact does it exactly that way.

Yes, the dummy zero is to artificially inflate the score. But it works. It's more exciting to score 5000 points than 500 even if the difference doesn't really mean anything. It's also aesthetically pleasing, that it makes scoring values and final scores look more rounded and elegant and less like a jumbled mess of numbers. I like the dummy zero.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
My brother and I used to talk about pinball score inflation. In some ways the higher scores on EM machines could reflect their complexity. On the first solid state games, more digits in the score could reflect that there was more memory in the machine. Once you get to modern tables of 1990 and newer though you see score inflation just for score inflation. The first table to have a million point shot. Then a ten million point shot. Then a hundred million point shot. Then the billion point shot. The shot that made points ridiculous if they weren't already. Its just hype. It doesn't mean anything. Kinda like trophies. ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.