Why is it so good on Iphone 5?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Sortie, I wasn't insulting you. Mr. Negativity is not an insult, I'm Mr. Optomistic.

Worf, yes but each phone gets a bump in GPU/CPU anyway. And battery technology is getting better. I think an increase in resolution is inevitable. But that's just me I guess.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Sortie, I wasn't insulting you. Mr. Negativity is not an insult, I'm Mr. Optomistic.

Worf, yes but each phone gets a bump in GPU/CPU anyway. And battery technology is getting better. I think an increase in resolution is inevitable. But that's just me I guess.

I'm not being negative. I'm just telling you that there's no way the next iPhone will have a 1280x920 display. Your optimism isn't going to change Apple's course. I read Apple blogs every day and that's where I'm making the basis of my statement from.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Plus most of the Apple userbase will buy whatever new product they put out and will defend any design decisions to death. ;)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Thats not exactly fair. It's common for most people to put items they purchase on a pedestal mainly so that they don't feel it was a foolish choice. Android users are no less guilty. Microsoft vs Sony vs Nintendo. Ford vs GM vs Chrystler. BMW vs Mercedes etc.

Honestly, I really enjoyed the iPhone 4 for a couple years. And while I'm deep onto the Android sandbox now, the only thing I don't lije about the apple world is needing to sync with iTunes.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Honestly, I really enjoyed the iPhone 4 for a couple years. And while I'm deep onto the Android sandbox now, the only thing I don't lije about the apple world is needing to sync with iTunes.

It's not necessary to sync with iTunes anymore. You can backup to iCloud now if you choose to do so. They wanted to give people that don't connect their iPhones/iPads to a computer a solution.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Thats not exactly fair. It's common for most people to put items they purchase on a pedestal mainly so that they don't feel it was a foolish choice. Android users are no less guilty. Microsoft vs Sony vs Nintendo. Ford vs GM vs Chrystler. BMW vs Mercedes etc.

Hehe, there are always people who feel insecure about their decisions and need to glorify their decisions.WEs just poking a bit of fun (hell I even own an iPad, something I never thought I would) :)

I actually feel like upgrading, since TPA doesn't play so smoothly like on the iPad 4 (or ehatever it is called, retina display) and also since I discovered Comixology! There are so many comics to read and it is perfect on the pad, except it could use better res (retina) ;)

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
since TPA doesn't play so smoothly like on the iPad 4 (or ehatever it is called, retina display)
I can vouch for this. I recently got an iPad 4 and performance (at least on WW) is actually worse than with the iPad 3 (or even the iPhone 5). My testing details & findings are in the v1.2.11 iOS bug thread. Hopefully, this will be taken care of as my "upgrade" to the iPad 4 (from the iPad 3) doesn't feel like much of an "upgrade" at all, at least as far as TPA is concerned. :eek:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I can vouch for this. I recently got an iPad 4 and performance (at least on WW) is actually worse than with the iPad 3 (or even the iPhone 5). My testing details & findings are in the v1.2.11 iOS bug thread. Hopefully, this will be taken care of as my "upgrade" to the iPad 4 (from the iPad 3) doesn't feel like much of an "upgrade" at all, at least as far as TPA is concerned. :eek:

Sure it's not because of that post processing thing on iPad 4?

If not then I guess it's just a case of too much resolution and not enough power to push it.

In which case Farsight should just run Pinball Arcade in iPad 3 resolution and upscale that for the 4, instead of trying to do native rendering.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012

If not then I guess it's just a case of too much resolution and not enough power to push it.

In which case Farsight should just run Pinball Arcade in iPad 3 resolution and upscale that for the 4, instead of trying to do native rendering.
The iPad 3 and iPad 4 have the same Retina display at the same resolution.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Post processing is always disabled in my tests so that is definitely not the issue. Apparently the "post processing" option will be removed beginning with the next upcoming update so that will rid us of that variable. It seems as though others with the iPad 4 are experiencing the same stuttering issue on the WW table so it's not isolated or "user error". As I mentioned before, iPad 3 runs just fine with no stuttering. iPad 4 has the stuttering issue...it's not bad but it's noticeable, especially if you're used to seeing it running very smoothly on the iPad 3.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Post processing is always disabled in my tests so that is definitely not the issue. Apparently the "post processing" option will be removed beginning with the next upcoming update so that will rid us of that variable. It seems as though others with the iPad 4 are experiencing the same stuttering issue on the WW table so it's not isolated or "user error". As I mentioned before, iPad 3 runs just fine with no stuttering. iPad 4 has the stuttering issue...it's not bad but it's noticeable, especially if you're used to seeing it running very smoothly on the iPad 3.

Oh we're talking about WhirlWind yeah it will have random lag spikes on my 4S phone as well. Only table that does it.

Completely random too and some games will play a full hour with flawless framerate some don't. Very strange issue it's in the coding not your iPad 4. It's just an iPad 3 with better chips, so...

Basically sometimes I play and I'm like "oh here comes a text" and no text comes through. Who knows, could be the alpha-numeric display, I've heard it's a performance killer when Farsight has it enabled on the backglass (some games do and some games don't). I'm sure that guy from Farsight can clear it up.

It is a very rare issue so much so that I don't even bother bringing it up on these forums. I play Whirlwind alot too.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Until Apple announces a new product everything is just rumors. That being said I highly doubt that the screen resolution will change on the next iPhone update. If it did then developers would need to create different versions of each of their iPhone apps. That is the sort of thing that Apple has always avoided in the past. Also, if they follow their past trends then the next release will be an iPhone 5S which will have the same body but a better processor and usually some sort of camera upgrade. Rumors are that there will be a dual flash instead of the current single. The 4S brought a beefier processor, upgraded camera and Siri.

That doesn't make sense, because the iPad is running at some absurdly high resolution, so I don't see why the next phone can't get a significant resolution increase. As long as you keep it in even intervals, upscalling wont' be an issue.

It might not make sense to you but that is the way Apple has done it so far... their philosophy is to keep it simple. There are two types of apps: iPhone and iPad. This is a stark contrast to the Android platform where you can see many different versions of apps for different hardware.

Ok so then iPhone 5S : 1280 x 1920 ;)

Just saying imagine a resolution that high packed into that tiny size.

It's not going to happen.

Ok mr. negativity.

960 x 1400 (or whatever that would be in iPhone 5 display size terms) for iPhone 5S. Just watch ;)

Okay Mark. Now that the iPhone 5S has been announced and you can see that my predictions were correct (no changes to the iPhone screen) I want you to call me Mr. Predictability instead of Mr. Negativity. :p

Here is a link to the iPhone 5S specs:
http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I've been waiting since July to say "I told you so", especially since I was called Mr. Negativity while I was only being realistic based off Apple's past release cycles and current rumors.

I'll make another prediction right now... the iPhone 6 will have a new display. See you next September.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Mr. negativity was never meant as an insult.

But congrats on being right.

I don't want a bigger/different display in iPhone 6. I want same dimensions, double the resolution. That makes up scaling a cinch, and won't break bc.

But that's a year from now. Knew the 5S would be my next phone and I'm very impressed with the power gains. Will be a nice upgrade from 4S.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but I'm not making a new thread for it: when you upgrade phones, iTunes syncs all your old songs apps and everything, right?

Cause if not ill get an htc one. My eyes have evolved past 300 ppi. (Assuming PBA is actually 60 fps on it).

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but I'm not making a new thread for it: when you upgrade phones, iTunes syncs all your old songs apps and everything, right?

Yep. You just have to remember to make a backup of your old device. Just before getting your new device, make a backup in iTunes of the old device. When you actually get your new device, don't set it up as a new device...instead, restore it using the backup from the old device. All your settings, apps, music, etc will be restored to the new device. About the only thing you'll have to re-enter will be your email & account passwords.

EDIT: In addition, don't use a new Apple ID for the new device when it comes to iTunes purchases. Use the same Apple ID you used on the old device so all your previous apps, music, books, etc will be usable by the new device without having to purchase ($$$) everything again.

Last edited:

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012

Cause if not ill get an htc one. My eyes have evolved past 300 ppi. (Assuming PBA is actually 60 fps on it).

But ESPECIALLY back up your phone NOW before the IOS7 release!
Just in case, just sayin'.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts