Why is the PC version Inferior to PS4?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Thank you mike for the update. Very much appreciated.

From a business case view:
Is it not possible to hire some temporary programmers to get everything straightened out and then start selling the polished product now? Not in a year, when it looks last gen again.

Adding more people usually hurts the schedule. Someone or more than someone would have to get any new programmers up to speed on how everything works. That would take time away from us, and the gain would be less than if we did it ourselves.

Usually when adding a new programmer, they aren't really productive until about 6 months later.

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
I guess it must be hard to be a game dev. The schedule probably changes a lot because the reaction of the fan base (gamers) is unpredictable when it comes to this sort of entertainment in compare to office software.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I thought that PS4 and Xbox One both use x86 architect which is the same or at least very very similar to PC, so shouldnt take too much effort?

Its not just the lighting where the PS4 version shines, it also has a much more advanced physics system....actually is ball spin implemented into the PS4 version?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I thought that PS4 and Xbox One both use x86 architect which is the same or at least very very similar to PC, so shouldnt take too much effort?

Its not just the lighting where the PS4 version shines, it also has a much more advanced physics system....actually is ball spin implemented into the PS4 version?

The CPU isn't the end-all be-all. The PS4 uses a different API libraries than PC.

They also said that once the XBOX One version was done and released, most of the work would already be done as the BOne uses the Direct X API Libraries.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
And finally, we only have one engine programmer. (There are 4 programmers working on TPA + 1 engine programmer). Our studio is very small compared to many companies. So for one programmer, it's a lot of work to implement a new platform (Xbox One for example) and do a full graphics engine change on PC. As well as fix engine related bugs on each platform.

This should be required reading before anyone can post to the forums.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I cannot believe my eyes-people thinking the PC version is inferior to the PS4 version. Let's see...

1) PC version gets up-to-the-minute updates (as opposed to twice every five months)
2) Actually sounds better than PS4 version
3) No limits on trophies or achievements

Now, my PC version is inferior because, well, my computer is. But it still plays competently-just can't do 1920x1080 at more than 1 fps.
If I had a grand burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get a PC powerful enough-and never have to worry about supporting a console version.

Right now. My preference is PS3 in 3D. I find that to be the most fun. Better than IOS, PS4, cabinet etc. look forward to cab being the best some day.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
They should really add 3D to the PS4 and PC... the drop to 720p on the PS3 makes the 3D look way too jaggy for me to bother with.
1080p/60fps/3D should be easy for the PS4.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
They should really add 3D to the PS4 and PC... the drop to 720p on the PS3 makes the 3D look way too jaggy for me to bother with.
1080p/60fps/3D should be easy for the PS4.

Except for the previously discussed hdmi bottleneck that may or may not be fixable through a firmware update.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
PC games do not need native 3D support, at least not on nVidia cards. Sadly you DO have to buy something called 3DTV Play that enables stereoscopic 3D on all games, although depth bugs may exist on games not verified by nVidia.

You are still stuck at 720p@60fps though when using a HDTV due to HDMI limitations. Currently you can only do 1080p @ 60fps using a supported monitor, the full 3D Vision kit and dual-link DVI or display port.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Except for the previously discussed hdmi bottleneck that may or may not be fixable through a firmware update.

I must have missed that. There is a problem with displaying 1080p/3D on the PS4?
I watch 1080p 3D movies on the PS3 and they look great.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I must have missed that. There is a problem with displaying 1080p/3D on the PS4?
I watch 1080p 3D movies on the PS3 and they look great.

Hdmi 1.3 only supports enough bandwidth to display 1080p at 60fps. If you use 3D it has to reduce it to 30fps because in reality it is still 60fps but split between each eye.

Even if the console itself can render at 1080p 120Hz the hdmi protocol doesn't support the bandwidth to pass the data to the display device. The joys of pure digital i/o.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Hdmi 1.3 only supports enough bandwidth to display 1080p at 60fps.

You're thinking of 1.2, HDMI 1.3 can do much higher than that and the PS3 'sorta' supports HDMI 1.4a which it got as a software upgrade when the stereography was released.

The REAL reason you see the reduction in resolution in 3D gaming is that the PS3 has to render an image twice, one for each eye, this is obviously more demanding, so it does so at a lower resolution to reduce computational demands. This is also why it has no issue doing 1080p for 3D movies or television, that's all prerendered and it just to decode video which is a comparative piece of cake.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Actually, HDMI spec 1.4b was what supported 1080p/60 3d. Before that the spec did limit 3d to 24 and 30 frames at 1080p. You can easily do a spec search to verify this.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Hdmi 1.3 only supports enough bandwidth to display 1080p at 60fps. If you use 3D it has to reduce it to 30fps because in reality it is still 60fps but split between each eye.

Even if the console itself can render at 1080p 120Hz the hdmi protocol doesn't support the bandwidth to pass the data to the display device. The joys of pure digital i/o.

Well I can deal with 720p/60fps 3D until it's updated to the 1.4 spec as long as they do a decent job with AA filtering on the PS4.
The jaggies on the PS3 version are much more obvious when viewing in 3D w/ active shutter tech and its not worth using.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts