Williams Firepower II Anyone played it?

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hi guys,
While perusing my favorite pin sites, I stumbled upon a machine I didn't know existed: Firepower II! Did anyone play that machine? Would it be a good inclusion for TPA? I like the original Firepower, it's ruthless left outlane and the frenetic and often fast-ending MB. With High Speed already in TPA and the Get-away rumored to be included, and also the original Black Knight and Black Knight 2000, it could be a fun third sibling-table combo so to speak. Looking at the layout there is a definite DNA match with the original Firepower, but now with a left ramp where in the original there was only a lock.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
One of the first tables I ever played so I have some nostalgic feelings, but no solid memories. It does seem like a good one to include and I did suggest it in an email to support some time ago and got a generally favourable response, but nothing solid. I'd like to see Sorcerer and Cyclone added first, but I'd definitely buy this one as well.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
One of the first tables I ever played so I have some nostalgic feelings, but no solid memories. It does seem like a good one to include and I did suggest it in an email to support some time ago and got a generally favourable response, but nothing solid. I'd like to see Sorcerer and Cyclone added first, but I'd definitely buy this one as well.

I agree with you 100% on your entire post!!

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Played it a few times at shows. It's ok but no staying power.

I'd go with Defender over this for a TPA inclusion for another space battle themed table from that time period.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It's good. Playfield is a pretty straight copy but minor changes like angles of targets. Big three major differences are the ramp addition, scoring and bonus structure is more generous and the multiball only has 2 balls which does take away some of the craziness. Also multiball is less of a challenge to get.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
From the reactions I gather it's not a very special table that warrants inclusion on it's own merits. Would still like to play it sometimes just out of curiosity.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Played it a few times at shows. It's ok but no staying power.

I'd go with Defender over this for a TPA inclusion for another space battle themed table from that time period.

I would also choose Defender first. I think Firepower (which I had never played before TPA) is a great table, so I'd rather have a table I haven't played (which uses the same sound effects ;-)).

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
It's good. Playfield is a pretty straight copy but minor changes like angles of targets. Big three major differences are the ramp addition, scoring and bonus structure is more generous and the multiball only has 2 balls which does take away some of the craziness. Also multiball is less of a challenge to get.

This machine? http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=854&picno=40266

Can't see a ramp on it. Plus, there is no spinning disc, which is a pretty major change.

Hold on... I have just realised mid-post we are talking about Firepower II and not Fireball II...

Re-Animator

Aug 13, 2012
I never played firepower or firepower 2 on a real machine, but i like firepower on TPA
I would love to play Firepower 2.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just played it for the first time, yesterday. The one and only shot I wanted to hit, because it is what separates it from Firepower, was the ramp. Unfortunately, from a caught ball, the flipper didn't have enough strength to get it all the way up the ramp. Oh well.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Just played it for the first time, yesterday. The one and only shot I wanted to hit, because it is what separates it from Firepower, was the ramp. Unfortunately, from a caught ball, the flipper didn't have enough strength to get it all the way up the ramp. Oh well.

Nothing makes me more sad than badly maintained pins on location. I vividly remember my first live game of LOTR, one of my alltime favorites (played it to death on VP). I was beyond giddy to find one IRL! I pumped in my quarter and started to play. I could plunge the ball but from there it went downhill. It was not level, flippers had no power, so you couldn't make any ramps and the Gollum VUK was broken so a shot there essentially broke the game. The DMD had a severe flicker, and sound was distorted....have I made any of you cry yet? :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I played a regular ol'... no... a prototype(!) Firepower at the weekend that barely had enough flipper strength to knock down the 1-2-3 drop targets.

Hang on... it was a frickin' prototype!! Sorry it only just twigged. Even though I now remember that the card attached to the backbox clearly said "prototype".

The only time I've seen an FPII has been at a show, and it was switched off. One of my big gripes about shows is tables in the free play area that are switched off.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Yeah, that's disappointing for sure. Second gripe for me would be the long waiting queues for new machines of which exactly one prototype each is brought to the show, and those break down too after two hour.....

Members online

Members online