Williams Volume 3 *OFFICIAL* Game play thread

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Unlike all the other Williams tables so far, view 8 doesn't seem especially suited to Safe Cracker (not a fault with the implementation of it, just how the physical table is with a bigger gap to the DMD).

thetrout

Apr 10, 2012
I've only played Theatre so far. Looks and plays beautifully. I jumped straight into the Survival Challenge and easily cleared 15 stars, without even unlocking any upgrades first! Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, if you're concerned about difficulty.

But those invisible balls are a travesty. Easily the worst idea I've ever seen implimented in a pinball game. But other than that, I'm extremely happy.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
even at my age and I wear glasses so I can see , I like the invisible balls , it`s bloody hilarious trying to spot them . I was pissing myself laughing at myself . I like it , I might be the only one that does , ahh I don`t care hehehe !!!:cool:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
The lack of cheap right outlane drains on CP is worth the price alone.

Yeah, I'm liking actually getting the chance to actually play CP in FX3. I hated it in TPA but it's kinda fun now. First thing I did game 1 was take shots at the heavy bag until I got Bar Fly Multiball. Couldn't believe I got it on ball 1 with no questionable drains. Out of all 10 WMS tables so far, CP seems to be the easiest to regain control of the ball.

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
The TOM work feels really good - I was always a bit nonplussed with the TPA version for obvious reasons, but this is truly stunning. I don't think it's coincidence that they seem to be doing tables at the moment that really suit themselves to the visual addon side of things (even if those alpha effects on the balls are a bit dodgy an a relatively low spec'd PC like mine). At the time of launch, I didn't see myself double dipping quite as much as I have done, but it just feels so much better.
Nothing, NOTHING, however will get me interested in SafeCracker, token saving or not :)

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I think I only played SafeCracker a few times in TPA since it felt like a toy. The smaller playfield and no ball spin just wasn’t that exciting. In this version it kind of feels like I doing the 1 ball challenge. I haven’t quite figured out how to reallyadd time except landing on a square in the board game part. So for most part I’m just trying to keep the ball alive. I also like the effect of the bonus coin rolling down and then placed randomly on top of the machine in the right corner. Thought that was a nice touch.

I expected Theatre to be the biggest improvement since it was one of the oldest TPA games but think CP is an even bigger improvement. Playfield looks so nice and the boxer is lit up properly. Don’t use much but even enhancement was done well.

I do want to see some tables that weren’t in TPA but wouldn’t mind Moster Bash and Circus Voltaire. Monster was fun but way too easy to hit the ramps. Real game is much harder. And Circus has trouble running at full speed on my outdated pc. Think pinball fx3 would do amazing job on both.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
But those invisible balls are a travesty. Easily the worst idea I've ever seen implimented in a pinball game. But other than that, I'm extremely happy.

Yeah the invisible balls are ridiculous, that and the neon glowing flippers... What were they thinking... :confused:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I think I only played SafeCracker a few times in TPA since it felt like a toy. The smaller playfield and no ball spin just wasn’t that exciting. In this version it kind of feels like I doing the 1 ball challenge. I haven’t quite figured out how to reallyadd time except landing on a square in the board game part. So for most part I’m just trying to keep the ball alive. I also like the effect of the bonus coin rolling down and then placed randomly on top of the machine in the right corner. Thought that was a nice touch.

You hit the spinner on the left to add time. Can also add time by getting the ABC rollovers, and I got some during TNT multiball but not sure if that's just because multiball was running or something else. There is also the freeze the countdown for 20 seconds where you get the electricity effect.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
You hit the spinner on the left to add time. Can also add time by getting the ABC rollovers, and I got some during TNT multiball but not sure if that's just because multiball was running or something else. There is also the freeze the countdown for 20 seconds where you get the electricity effect.

Thanks. Might have take a look at the walkthrough.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

I expected Theatre to be the biggest improvement since it was one of the oldest TPA games but think CP is an even bigger improvement. Playfield looks so nice and the boxer is lit up properly. Don’t use much but even enhancement was done well.

I do want to see some tables that weren’t in TPA but wouldn’t mind Moster Bash and Circus Voltaire. Monster was fun but way too easy to hit the ramps. Real game is much harder. And Circus has trouble running at full speed on my outdated pc. Think pinball fx3 would do amazing job on both.

You have TPA, so look up the table instructions for Safe Cracker in that. If there's one thing FarSight did brilliantly, it's those table instructions. They didn't seem to leave out a single scoring tip. Personally, I just shoot the ramp, vari target, and middle flipper to spinner shot as much as possible and don't bother actively trying to get more time. You want to get to the game board pure and simple, and those 3 shots will by default of the ball bouncing about gain you access.

While we'd all like to see tables that weren't in TPA, we'll have to wait for licensed tables or SS/alpha numerics as TPA already did all the unlicensed DMD machines. As I've pointed out in the BlahCade podcast, if Zen burns through those remaining DMD tables at the clip they're on, by August they'll have no choice but to either do licensed machines or said SS/alpha numerics, so fingers crossed those new to us machines are not far down the line.

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah the invisible balls are ridiculous, that and the neon glowing flippers... What were they thinking... :confused:

not crazy about the transparent balls, haven't noticed glowing flippers. ToM turned out to be great tho, once i got to playing it and adjusted to the ball speed. :)

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Oh wow, the timer keeps running while you're playing the SC board game in 5-minute and survival. That's terrible, especially in survival.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Oh wow, the timer keeps running while you're playing the SC board game in 5-minute and survival. That's terrible, especially in survival.

Yeah, survival is tough, but it's worse than that. Having to bribe the guard lowers your score, which you then have to recover before you can reset the timer (If you're at 3 stars and the bribe moves you back to 2 stars, you don't get a timer reset when you move back to 3). At least 1 good token multiball is enough to max out stars if you can get there. My strategy was getting to the board at the tail end of 2 stars, where a cash machine spot would put me over to 3 stars, giving me enough time to run for the vault. And remember, rewind is great insurance against a bad roll once you pass the 5 star mark the first time.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I actually wanted to skip this pack but ToM, wow, and Champions Pub is finally fun! I never got into it in TPA.

Side modes are always an issue in survival or time limited settings. This became glaringly obvious the last time I played the Alien vs Predator table. You have to find another strategy, which is fun to work out.

Well done, ZEN!

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
I was able to purchase the tables right from the moment of updating on iOS, which was nice but I don't care for the “limited time only” part of that. I would much prefer to be able to purchase at any time. I try to limit my iPad app spending and to have that pop up after I’ve hit my self-imposed monthly limit feels a little bit like a bully taking my lunch money.

Still, Champion's Pub is a HUGE improvement with the good physics. The TPA version felt like there were only five railroad paths off eac bumper and three of them went to the right outlane. I haven’t had much time to play yet but they're all much improved in my eyes. Never cared or played much ToM on TPA so it's like a brand new table for me.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I really did not enjoy Champions Pub in TPA, but here in Zen it is the table I have played most from pack 3 :)
They all look great, sound great and the mechanical noises alone make it so much better.

I am pumped and eagerly awaiting Table pack 4! :D

Zen is doing a brilliant job!

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Just tried it, I'm with Wolfson, I don't find the invisible balls that hard to see. However I turn the gamma down quite a bit so the outline of the ball may be more visible with gamma down? Anyway for sure because there is no higher reward, it's not a bad idea it maybe make the outline of the ball a bit more visible or add a bit of a glow to the ball. Anyway, it works for me, so far. Tip: remember you can shut off the pizzazz more at a touch of a button so once you activate buzzsaw multiball those who don't like it I guess you can at least quickly turn it off

Champion Pub is pretty awesome and I love the animated boxer in pizzazz mode. Lighting is also very good with gamma turned down. Really, no complaints at all here, two fantastic tables.

Then we have Safecracker. I don't like the real table that much, maybe I'm not giving it a chance but it just feels more like a gimmick game. Whatever the case, to the credit of Zen, I'm as much indifferent on this version as I am the real one so I guess that means they nailed it LOL

Great job Zen, it's a fantastic time to be a pc pinheads!

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Think the original Token Pin idea sounded better in theory than in fact from a commercial point of view - sell it to bars that didn't have any pinball tables, and they could offer a half-price drink in exchange for a token won at their machine - probably would have had to put stickers on the tokens as well.

Likely would have needed to sell at least 5x as many tables as they did for a second Token Pin table to be considered.

Still, its fun enough as a one of a kind table.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
TPA was cruel with the right outlane in Champions Pub. The FX3 version plays nicer. The animation is really good too.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.