Williams Volume 4 *OFFICIAL* Game play thread

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Let us know what you think about the latest addition to Zen Williams Pinball containing White Water, Red & Ted's Roadshow and Hurricane.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
I bought the pack this morning and have only had time to play each table a couple of times. The tables are absolutely gorgeous, a real treat for the eyes. The table lights are a big improvement from the TPA tables, nice and contrasty.
The play? Lively, really, really lively. I've been playing the TPA tables a lot leading up to this release, and I find that the shots I used on those tables pretty much don't work on the Zen tables. Dang. But that's ok, I'll just have to work on these. Skill shots are much harder on Roadshow, wish I could draw and launch the ball with my mouse, as my joystick-fu stinks.

But I like the pack, like what Zen did with the tables. Hell, I even like the blue sidebars on Roadshow (who looks at the sidebars when you're playing?).

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Loving the new refined flipper physics and am enjoying all three tables. All new tables to me, no idea what I am doing but that’s half the fun, learning as you go. Plus, the launch day leaderboards are always sparse enough to rank high for at least a few hours, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Copy paste from the guessing thread :p

These flipper physics are just so good!
Can't wait for this to be added to the old packs, oh lawd!

it is so much more "alive" now than before :D

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
Really impressed by this pack, particularly Hurricane and Road Show. Lots of fun.

Here are some somewhat random very early impressions and a couple critiques:

Road Show
  • I don't know what it sounds like in real life but the shaker motor sound is absolutely awesome;
  • The skill shot is brutal;
  • The heads look great. Makes me excited for Funhouse;
  • Considering my only experience of this table was in TPA, the sound here is a revelation;
  • I'm surprised they didn't colour the radio in.

Hurricane
  • I'm surprised the camera doesn't pan up when spinning the wheel, to show the spinning back glass piece;
  • The animated clown's pie, when you drain, always misses the camera. The pre-release videos make it seem like it should make contact?
  • Pulling the plunger all the way back as quickly as possible seems to be resulting in the associated sound duplicating;
  • I've had the music fail to return after riding the Ferris wheel (after it is returned to the left flipper lane). Repeating the shot fixed it;
  • The duck and carousel enhancements in particular are really well done. Nicely restrained.

White Water
  • There's something wrong with the White Water music. It's awful to the point where I haven't played the table much because of it;
  • Disappointed there doesn't seem to be any animated water;
  • Much prefer the original big chunky, Nordman looking Big Foot. Would have preferred a more animated version in the original form factor - although I've not spent enough time to see all the animations for skinny big foot;
  • The camera zoom into the top right playfield is not great. Perhaps it's because I use a 16:9 vertical orientation but the right side of the screen is ever so slightly cut off. It's a bit too zoomed;
  • I've already had the ball fail to make it through the left waterfall ramp, stopping and falling off midway through. I've also seen it get stuck at the bottom of the same ramp, in the loop by the left flipper. This might be true to the real table, I have no idea. Both instances corrected themselves, although the latter used magic physics.

General
  • I'm not a fan of the camera zooming in on animated characters when a ball drains. If they had various animations, or it was infrequent then it would be much more tolerable;
  • Has the table zoom changed when you hold the view button? I thought previously that it zoomed into the table a little more for a closer look. I tried it on the vol 4 pack and it really didn't change the perspective much at all. (Vertical orientation, using view1)

I'm sure I've forgot a whole lot and this probably seems negative, as it's always easy to dissect compared to putting it all together. I repeat again, I really like these - and all - the Bally/Williams tables!

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I've never been a Road Show or White Water fan and always found Hurricane to be a pretty middling table. Hated Road Show and White Water in TPA.

Zen has made them tolerable for me. I'm enjoying all 3 much more than the TPA versions. That's honestly about as much as I personally could have hoped for from this pack, so kudos to Zen.

The tables look great, great lighting, great mechanical sounds, good sounds in general aside from the messed up WW music.

The new flipper physics are the best I've played in digital pinball and just seeing the fippers move more realistically gives the tables such a better feel, so much more character.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
I'm surprised the camera doesn't pan up when spinning the wheel, to show the spinning back glass piece;
You can actually look at it manually. Not sure on the PC version, but on the the PS4 version you just press and hold 'up' on the right analog stick.

timxtr

Jan 28, 2015
Are you kidding?? Tell me there's a menu option for the original dialogue.

Will the PMRC allow Rudy to gag on the ball or not??

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
[*]I've already had the ball fail to make it through the left waterfall ramp, stopping and falling off midway through.

This is true to the real table. There's a dip in the ramp, and if the ball doesn't have enough momentum to make it up the incline from there, there's an exit for the ball to fall out to the side. I think the ramp shot still counts, the switch is before/above that area.

I've also seen it get stuck at the bottom of the same ramp, in the loop by the left flipper. This might be true to the real table, I have no idea. Both instances corrected themselves, although the latter used magic physics.

The bottom of that loop is tilted northwards, so the ball will fall towards the exit hole if it doesn't make it around the loop. It's not magic, just the ball falling in a direction you don't expect since you can't really see that tilt on a screen.

timxtr

Jan 28, 2015
Are you kidding?? Tell me there's a menu option for the original dialogue.

Will the PMRC allow Rudy to gag on the ball or not??

I'm referring to the altered speech in Red & Ted's. It really peeves me.

Last edited:

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
The bottom of that loop is tilted northwards, so the ball will fall towards the exit hole if it doesn't make it around the loop. It's not magic, just the ball falling in a direction you don't expect since you can't really see that tilt on a screen.

Thanks. That's good to know and I did expect the real table would have some fail safes, however my reference to magic physics on the Zen iteration is that the ball stopped dead at the bottom and then after a few moments of being completely static shot back up and out of the ramp hole. It didn't roll naturally. No worries though, just glad they had measures in place.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks. That's good to know and I did expect the real table would have some fail safes, however my reference to magic physics on the Zen iteration is that the ball stopped dead at the bottom and then after a few moments of being completely static shot back up and out of the ramp hole. It didn't roll naturally. No worries though, just glad they had measures in place.

At least we don't have to "call arcade attendant" only for it to never work!

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Interesting that for once, the table goal on Zen is harder than TPA. Zen wants a 10+ million Clown Time score for the Hurricane achievement where TPA only wanted 5 million for the goal. Got to 9.5 million once and screamed when the ball missed the Comet on the last shot.

And despite the wording, just scoring 10 million during clown time apparently isn't enough, I got a 16 million Palace Jackpot during one clown time (8M with the x2 score bonus wizard skill active) and the goal didn't pop. The Wizard skill also doesn't seem to affect the registered Clown time total.

timxtr

Jan 28, 2015
My concerns about Red & Ted's having the voices changed were unfounded.

Somehow, the volume for them was set to very low when I first played the game -all other games in this pack had voice setting at levels I could hear.

In the options for sound I was able to turn the voice levels up.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]That is mentioned in the table guide.[/FONT]

Can't find that note in the Guide myself (on Steam), but it makes sense as the clown time bonus isn't added as score during play, but only tallied a the end of the ball as a bonus, so there's no reason the score multiplier wizard power should affect it while in clown time.

Eventually got it by activating multiball before clown time and looping as many balls through the Hurricane ramp as I could. I have an easier time looping Hurricane than Comet.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.