You can own ONLY 1 TABLE !!! Which one ???

PET3R

Mar 10, 2015
You can only own 1 single pinball table - ANY !!! - that you are going to be stuck with. You are not getting it for a display or to show off to everyone that you have the most wanted and expensive table. You are going to play it regularly and so you want it to be the one you can never get tired of, even after beating the wizard. Which one ? Please explain why.

PET3R

Mar 10, 2015
To start it. I would probably say Attack from Mars, but after playing Spiderman recently and finding out about "All scores 2x" after beating the wizard mode I think this might last much longer for me. I find few similarities between Attack from Mars and Spiderman, but spiderman gives me both non timed modes as well as timed modes (that you have to finish btw) and it does not have these SJ and 5x combo goals that I am not sure I am a huge fan of. It also has a much better wizard mode compared to AFM. Not sure how balanced scoring there is in Spiderman and this something that might want me to go for AFM. Need to play more to find out. But one of these 2 definitely.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'll go with Addams Family. It's been my favorite since the first time I played it. Love the theme, music, toys, and call outs. The modes are fun and the DMD animations are pretty good as well. I never seem to tire of it. Can I get it with a color DMD please?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Attack From Mars. I didn't even have to think about it. It's the one table that even if I had 3 really bad balls, I still had fun.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I would love to hang with The Dude. I really don't know how the table plays but I love the movie and the looks of the table are great.
If it sucks I would just sit with it on that island and pour me a white russian (endless bar supplies are allowed to bring).

Edit: Talking about the Big Lebowski, just in case...

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Yeah it's Spiderman for me too. Hard to finish so it's a good challenge that lasts a long time and keeps you coming back. Awesome ruleset, great fast and flowy playfield (very similar to AFM), I love an upper flipper, it's got great catching and trapping possibbilities (and even the spiderman inlane post stop catch) so you can slow down play when you feel like it. Two regular multiballs that you can switch between, starting modes requires shooting all shots so you have to use the whole playfield and learn every shot. Finishing a mode rewards you with choosing a shot that becomes 3x for rest of the ball so you really have good incentive for finishing a mode and rarely are modes timed out, and being able to stacking them with a multiball is even better. It's great how pretty much every shot is doable from both flippers from both trap and on rolling ball (maybe except right loop which can be tricky to backhand from rolling ball) and they all have their pros and cons and you caN switch it up between the one you're feeling at the moment AND what is most conveniant at the moment.

I feel really restrained playing addams family IRL, in our club it was very rarely played, among 20 pins it was the one chosen to go out the door to make room for something else.

The Dude might be my fave theme, but have to play it first to see if I won't be disapointed. But out of pins I never played, it would be my no1 choice.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've never even seen a Spider-Man let alone played one ...

Umm, I'll have a Corvette, but only if it comes with a self-cleaning playfield and is guaranteed not to break.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I love these kinds of questions :). I would want to be as assured as I could of getting as many hours of fun as possible, so my main considerations, in order, with examples, would be:

1) A table I'm not familiar with (most post-2000 Sterns),
2) Which has deep and complex rules (TZ),
3) Strong ratings (TZ, STTNG),
4) Beautiful art (Fireball, TotAN, TZ),
5) Great sounds & music (RS, TotAN, ToM),
6) Cool dots (Shadow, AFM, ToM),
7) A couple of unique, moving, interactive toys (TZ, Shadow),
8) And some funny callouts (AFM, MB, MM),
9) That I'd be proud to show off (MB, TAF, TotAN).

That's too many criteria, so I'll focus on the top 3. I think I'll pick Lord of the Rings. It looks like the limited edition has less plastic figures than the regular edition, is that right, it seems strange? So I'll take the regular 2003 edition, unless the LE has more rules, or something extra I don't see right now.

Other contenders: The Simpsons Pinball Party, AC/DC, Metallica, Game of Thrones, Kingpin, Airborne, Wizard of Oz (Emerald City LE), The Hobbit (LE), Johnny Mnemonic, Indy 500, America's Most Haunted, The Big Lebowski, Spider-Man, The Shadow, Corvette, Twilight Zone, very many more, sigh.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Umm, I'll have a Corvette,
Wow, very interesting choice. I'm curious why you're picking it? I played it quite a bit but still consider it mostly unfamiliar... I don't think I ever got to the wizard(s?) and certainly didn't master it. It's one of my pet loves.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Wow, very interesting choice. I'm curious why you're picking it? I played it quite a bit but still consider it mostly unfamiliar... I don't think I ever got to the wizard(s?) and certainly didn't master it. It's one of my pet loves.

It's a table I played a huge amount "back in the day". I love the flow, the variety of combos, and just how damned fast a newly cleaned one is. Mainly though the sheer variety of (named) combos is, I believe, unique among tables, and making them integral to getting a big score (through bonus) is a nice touch. Plus getting the wizard mode is a decent challenge, but not impossible.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
Funhouse, if I could guarantee that Rudy didn't break.

Otherwise, Monster Bash, No Good Gofers, or Scared Stiff.

Those are the tables I always enjoy playing over and over because they amuse me, no matter how rotten a game I have.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
TAXI from day 1 when it came out all those years ago,just loved it,it`s not the best table but I always have a soft spot for it !!!! :cool:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Theme, depth/ruleset, gameplay/flow, visual wow factor: LOTR

I played it to death on VP, even reached Valinor twice and kept the highscore of 1.5B for some time on that particular version (JPSalas v2.3 for connaisseurs). I own one now (regular 2003 edition) and it will take a couple of years to reach Valinor for real -if ever-. I'm real happy when I break the 100M barrier and actually complete some d@mn modes and MB's... :) So for longevity alone I would choose this one. But also for abovementioned reasons. It sits between a NBA Fastbreak which I like for it's theme and fun combo shots but is not a real popular table, and a great Indiana Jones '93, which is a fan favorite and like LOTR also a top 10 Pinside machine, and LOTR steals the show everytime I have people over.
Offcourse AFM, MM, MB and TZ/TAF are all great choices. Love the TSPP ruleset BTW, same or actually even more depth than LOTR, but not that big on theme and shot layout.

[MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION] : these are the differences between standard and LE (as ripped from IPDB), so no real ROM/gameplay differences as with TAF/TAF LE:

"Here are the factory changes that differentiate the LE version from the original version:

• The backglass is real glass (not a translite) with a mirrored gold effect.
• Extra clearcoats on playfield.
• 'Armies of Middle Earth' plastic figures were not used. Therefore, no mounting holes exist in the playfield plastics for them.
• Playfield is signed by Gary Stern and George Gomez.
• "Gold" trim. The lockdown bar, legs, hinges, and side rails are plated and polished. Gold trim around the backbox.
• Game has the option to add a Shaker Motor.
• Leg bolts and hinge bolts are brass plated.
• The speaker panel has a "500 Game Limited Edition" plate and gold painted grills.
• Certificate of Authenticity signed by Gary Stern.

This game has the option to add a Shaker Motor which had not been the case for the original LOTR game. Lonnie Ropp confirmed to us that he added the Shaker Code to the original Code and it had been 'secured' with a new PAL chip version."

Last edited:

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I would love to hang with The Dude. I really don't know how the table plays but I love the movie and the looks of the table are great.
If it sucks I would just sit with it on that island and pour me a white russian (endless bar supplies are allowed to bring).

Edit: Talking about the Big Lebowski, just in case...

+1

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts