[BOUGHT ONE!] I really want to buy a table. Buying advice?

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm really getting an itch to purchase my first table. But, I don't know what to buy, best places to look, etc.

At a local shop, they just had a Doctor Who table that I was interested in, but it sold an hour before I walked in. I had a chance to play it and enjoyed what I saw. I don't know what a fair price would be, but it sold for $2500. Looking on Craigslist in my area, there is practically nothing for sale around me so it seems like if I want a table, I'd have to use the local shop which obviously has things like overhead, profit added into the price.

Some choices that I know will be available soon are F-14 Tomcat, High Speed, The Getaway, and Fishtales. I'm not familiar with any of these other than briefly playing the first two back in the 90's. Are these worth a look to purchase?

I was just at a local pinball show and loved the Bride of Pinbot they had, although it wasn't for sale. But it confirmed what I've decided while playing TPA - I LOVE THIS TABLE.

Any advice on searching for my first pin?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Pinside.com might be able to find something there by a personal seller in your area also check the pinmap you might find somewhere that has pinball you didn't know about. I found a video store that has 4 that get rotated. All those tables you mentioned are great tables, a few things to consider before you buy Can you get replacement parts? how much? Can you work on one if something stops working? pinball repair is expensive if you pay someone to do it. You need to learn how to move it and setup.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
The more basic a table , the easier your repairs should be . If you buy a table with LCD Displays and moving toys , then expect headaches for maintenance . Although Grand Lizard has proven this theory to be false , as that owner will testify.Right Skill Shot?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
GL is pretty basic, you take the ramp of with 7 screws after the lizard heads 3 screws drop targets flippers and slingshots move everything else is stationary. I think once you get a game with a DMD the complexities go up like you said toys more ramps can be significantly more time consuming to maintain or repair. Id say get 1 that works so you get to play it and learn more about the machine with that said do your homework could save you some money. What part of ohio on CL are you looking? I looked at where the pinball show was and searched some surrounding cities I seen a GL and a BG that are in better shape than mine $1500 you could offer less although it is in really great shape.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Oh yes GL is basic but I think its age and lack of care made it more of a task reviving it but it also showed in the price $375 I wanted a fixer upper though its worth at least $500 now.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Some choices that I know will be available soon are F-14 Tomcat, High Speed, The Getaway, and Fishtales. I'm not familiar with any of these other than briefly playing the first two back in the 90's. Are these worth a look to purchase?

These are all classic titles. I'm sure would enjoy any of them. Condition and price will probably help make your decision. Will you have a chance to play them before purchasing?

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Well that didn't take long, I found a good deal on a pretty nice F-14 Tomcat. Can't wait to set it up later. :)

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
The pinball show I went to this past weekend made me obsessed. And an ad popped up on Craigslist yesterday I didn't want to pass up. It's in pretty decent shape. The play field has the usual raising arrows thing going on, but flippers are strong, rubber looks good, all lights working - I'm pretty satisfied.

I'll try to take some photos tonight.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Well that didn't take long, I found a good deal on a pretty nice F-14 Tomcat. Can't wait to set it up later. :)

Congrats George! Owning that game will certainly improve your skills. That is a fast & tough pin. A true classic. Let us know how much you are loving it after you get het up and running. Great choice!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
NICE CHOICE! I missed out on F-14 twice :( You can fix the raised inserts by heating them up with a hair dryer then place a block of wood on top ang tap it with a hammer thats how I did mine.

Day

Jan 9, 2013
congratulations George....

Haha, wow, a day from, I want a pin, to having one, that's dedication.

and this is exactly what i'd be worried about... Carl, you summed this up very succinctly.....

i'd be musing over the remote possibility of persuading the missus... of making her amenable to the idea of having a pin; i get a pass-out to visit an expo, and i come home with an acquisition.... oops. except that from following this forum and also pinballinfo, i'm to understand that it's simply not possible to own a single pin... pretty quickly it'll get lonely and start desiring a companion.

pinball on a tablet has some advantages ....but i'm still envious as hell of all you pin owners

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
First look at my first pin!

20130304_200246.jpg

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Congrats. I'm still looking for my first.
Actually technically I already bought one, but it won't show up until mid/late 2014. I can't wait that long so I'm looking to pick one up before then. I'm picky though...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
SHE's A BUTE! Nice and shiney. :) I'll Help answer any questions I can. Lemme say before you do it and YOU WILL! LED's are like CRACK! :)

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
$1300. Already getting an itch for LED's, yesterday I was looking at the Cointaker site before buying this was even official! But first, I'd like to make sure everything is up to par. Already the volume pot seems touchy. I can have it at a medium volume, or loud volume. No increments in between. The same thing my Sinistar cabinet is doing actually. I may have to buy two pots and see if my Sinistar will be working with sound again.

Members online

Members online