Terminator 2 Kickstarter BEGINNING NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

netizen

I remember it too. I can't remember if it was an audio interview or if I read it somewhere. I thought it was from Jeff's last audio interview but I just scanned through it quickly and it wasn't in that one. I definitely remember it though because I was a little surprised to hear how much each table costs to produce.

I think the interview it was discussed in was this one

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Assuming the original machine costs a quarter to play, you've recouped your investment after ten games, not to mention you saved a lot on gas too!

$2.50 is 2 or 3 plays on any nearby pinball table that I know of :)
I take the bus, though :|

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I've just doubled up to 20 dollars, I don't have any spare, but I'mddisappointed in the low number of backers. I can't see this happening.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
another idea: donate $1,000,000 and guarantee the release of Austin Powers by Stern.

drevil.jpg

Last edited:

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Back in the day (1980s), it was typically a quarter. In fact, some EM machines only cost a dime when they first released.
You need to remember to adjust for inflation. :) Also, we were talking about comparing the price to your current options, which don't involve travelling back in time. In the 1980's you'd miss out on a lot of great DMD games, too. :p

Either way, we agree on the price being ridicolously low compared to the price of playing on a real table. Of course, nothing can truly replace the feeling of standing in front of a huge mechanical marvel like most of these machines are, either. :) Some of the tables I'd only played on TPA were amazing to see in real life when I finally found some of them.

StrakaC

Oct 29, 2012
I see there are no more $300 donations since that tier only awarded Beta Tester for this T2 table. For an additional $100 they could be a permanent tester so they all probably plussed-up their donation. I would suggest dropping that $300 tier and add the T2 Beta tester only option to the $100 pledge. For those of us not able to spare $400 a chance to at least get a peak at this pin. BTW...I'm still waiting to donate. $20 if this kickstarter is on track to award and $100 if it needs a push....all I could spare this time.

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
Using a tracker to determine whether a given kickstarter project will succeed or fail, is a lot like trying to determine the outcome of a presidential race using gallop polls. Nobody really knows who won until the polls close. The Kickstarter website lists all the necessary information, including the current pledged amount, the goal, and the amount of time left. Everything else is statistically irrelevant. Also bear in mind that most campaigns will look like an inverse bell curve with regards to daily pledges. There will be a high amount in the beginning and the end, with a trough in the middle. In the case of T2, there are also a couple of spikes right near the middle of the trough due to the recent updates.

Jeez, I hope we could be as accurate in predicting Kickstarter drives... Nate Silver picked 50 out of 50 states in this past election (was only off by an average of 1/3 of a percentage point) and 49 out of 50 in 2008. If somebody had the right data for Kickstarter, it would be nice to know if we could be as good at knowing which ones will fail or succeed.

SH

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
And yet people still feel it's unreasonable to have to pay an average of $2.50 for each table.

Welcome to the mobile computing generation, where spending $700-$800 for an iPad is considered alright, but a few dollars for an app is compared to highway robbery.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Uh, ok so his analogy wasn't a good one. I think his main point still stands though. Predictions of political opinion polls and predictions of fundraising outcomes aren't necessarily the same quality or the same accuracy.

So .... it looks like we're gonna get a T2 to play with. In my guesstimate we are gonna make it.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Just found this:

http://www.technologytell.com/gamin...ng-on-the-t2judgment-day-pinball-kickstarter/

I'm a bit surprised about Bobby's "Sopranos" comments...

Great to see that Dr. Who is at least something that they have been thinking about, even if he's worried that it would be a tough one to get. I put a little time in with a machine at the Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH last year and had a great time with it even though I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing. Seemed like it had a pretty deep rule set with you choosing a doctor before you launch the ball. Would love to have a digital version of it so I could really get into the rules.

Interesting that he made a point to again mention Adams Family as the next table they want to go after. Don't know what to make of that. Do they have an in on the licenses, or is he hoping that by talking about it so much and seeing the level of interest that he might be able to get the right parties to start talking about the licenses?

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
Uh, ok so his analogy wasn't a good one. I think his main point still stands though. Predictions of political opinion polls and predictions of fundraising outcomes aren't necessarily the same quality or the same accuracy.

So .... it looks like we're gonna get a T2 to play with. In my guesstimate we are gonna make it.

I don't want to be misunderstood; I'm not stepping all over his opinion. I tend to agree with him in that we can't always make reasonable predictions about a Kickstarter drive based on what it's pulled in. After all, that only tells you how much money has been pledged already, not much will be pledged in the future. What I do wonder about are the bigger numbers which aren't known externally, and which could perhaps by more instructive.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Great to see that Dr. Who is at least something that they have been thinking about, even if he's worried that it would be a tough one to get. I put a little time in with a machine at the Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH last year and had a great time with it even though I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing. Seemed like it had a pretty deep rule set with you choosing a doctor before you launch the ball. Would love to have a digital version of it so I could really get into the rules.
Actually, Doctor Who is one of the least complex machines of its time, along with Terminator 2.

Skillful play at Doctor Who involves selecting Doctor #6 and shooting the Cliffhanger ramp over and over and over again until Sonic Boom is active, then shoot W-H-O in order for 40M a shot, then resume Cliffhanger ramp loopage until the next Sonic Boom. That's it.

Your other option is the multiball, but it's a pain to start (lots of death shots against the visor-like Time Expander), even more of a pain to actually execute, and you are penalized by going back a stage if you lose the third ball...and you need to have it at 4X Playfield (again by shooting Cliffhanger ramps) for its scoring to be worth the risk.

Nothing else on the table will score anything remotely close to these two paths.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
You need to remember to adjust for inflation. :) Also, we were talking about comparing the price to your current options, which don't involve travelling back in time. In the 1980's you'd miss out on a lot of great DMD games, too. :p

Either way, we agree on the price being ridicolously low compared to the price of playing on a real table. Of course, nothing can truly replace the feeling of standing in front of a huge mechanical marvel like most of these machines are, either. :) Some of the tables I'd only played on TPA were amazing to see in real life when I finally found some of them.

That 25¢ game in 1980 is 69¢ in 2012 adjusted for inflation. Source: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

In 1976 we played pinball machines at the arcade at Marriott's Great America for 5¢ per game. Of course you had to pay $15 to get in the park. You could also get a root beer in a frosted mug for 25¢! It was a different time when theme parks didn't gouge for food and drink and games because you were a captive. They treated you like an honored guest. Around the same time Disney had a penny arcade where all the games were actually a penny. They had a lot of historical items in the arcade like the first traveling "movies" that were pictures on cards in a box and you turned a crank that would play music and flip through the cards to create the illusion of movement. But there were also newer games in there as well.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Actually, Doctor Who is one of the least complex machines of its time, along with Terminator 2.

Skillful play at Doctor Who involves selecting Doctor #6 and shooting the Cliffhanger ramp over and over and over again until Sonic Boom is active, then shoot W-H-O in order for 40M a shot, then resume Cliffhanger ramp loopage until the next Sonic Boom. That's it.

Your other option is the multiball, but it's a pain to start (lots of death shots against the visor-like Time Expander), even more of a pain to actually execute, and you are penalized by going back a stage if you lose the third ball...and you need to have it at 4X Playfield (again by shooting Cliffhanger ramps) for its scoring to be worth the risk.

Nothing else on the table will score anything remotely close to these two paths.

Dr Who is really, really boring.

I only ever played it intoxicated.

Interesting. Since I had no clue what I was doing, I always went for the multi-ball even though it did seem like the shots into the Time Expander seemed like drain risks.

I didn't find it to be boring at all. Maybe because I'm huge fan of the original doctors and love all of the sound effects and call outs. To each his own, I guess.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the info and the link to the podcast. I will listen to it tonight after mom goes to bed. I am visiting her here in Montana. It's hard to believe it costs that much to do a table, it sure makes me appreciate TPA and all the work FarSight does all the more.

Plus when I hear someone complaining about the price of tablepacks, I will have the information to kindly tell them the great deal they're getting.

westofrome

Jan 29, 2013
It's gonna be close - I wonder what new incentives could push them over the top. The only thing I can think of is giving away a machine (T2 or other) - basically a raffle ticket for all who pledge at least X amount.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
maybe they could add beta testing for just the t2 table to the $100 and 200 tier. might get some to bump up their pledges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts