Terminator 2 Kickstarter BEGINNING NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
A lot of people wait until the end to contribute, based on how the campaign is going. I did another Kickstarter recently that was clearly going to fail, but in the last 3 days or so everyone came out of the woodwork and contributed, pushing it well over goal. So we'll see, but I do hope it gets funded. I went in for $10.

I don't really understand anyone who complains about $5 for a table with unlimited plays (and even on multiple systems, depending on your platform).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Why does a raffle keep coming up when 1) there are many states that view raffles of this nature illegal, and 2) it's so obvious you guys just want a table for free?! Just quit it already. There's not a chance in hell FarSight is going to give away one of their machines. Period. They still reference them for game play tweaks, they enjoy them after hours, it makes the offices quite awesome to visitors.

This idea of an incentive keeps being thrown up against the wall and fails to stick every time. Come on, think of something original instead of thinking about cheep ways of getting an actual machine.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
maybe they could add beta testing for just the t2 table to the $100 and 200 tier. might get some to bump up their pledges

The problem is that FarSight has a limited number of iOS testing slots due to Apple's policy. It's only 100 devices, which cycle every year (meaning you can't have someone test for a month, then drop them, they can only be dropped on a certain date). They need to have internal testing devices (with spots reserved for future devices), as well as spots for the licensors to test the tables. Doesn't leave them with a ton of spots for others.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I dont know, but i have been thinking. But lets see, they need 59k.

Lets assume a nib pin costs 10k delivered anywhere in the world. Closer to usa will cost less, maybe australia cost more, but ok, lets say 10k.

What if farsight does a kickstarter, and anybody who backs 100 or more will have a chance for the nib pin. (They could choose acdc premium for example, from stern)

Then they need 69k for the kickstarter, and when they reach that, and then collect the money. When everything is fine they pick a 100 dollar or more backer by lottery and he wins the nib pin.

Is that allowed by law? Not sure. But i think it would work. I think every kickstarter will be succesfull then.

What do you guys think, a stupid or a good idea?

karl

May 10, 2012
The Tex Murphy kickstarter did a brilliant thing last year. If we reach this amount a big spender we have talked with are willing to help will drop 5000 $ etc. They did this with great success 3 times in one kickstarter. Every time we were getting close to that sum, everyone else got excited and contributed some extra cash. If Farsight did something similar, say when we get to 45 000 a friend of the company will put in 5000 to get us over 50 000 it would make it easier for everyone else to give a little more knowing that they care enough to actively help.

We all know that Farsight technically is not allowed to contribute to their own kickstarter but their friends and family are, hint, hint. Time to think outside the box, Farsight. I am sure you can muster up a few dollars yourself to help this thing over the top ;-)

N

netizen

I dont know, but i have been thinking. But lets see, they need 59k.

Lets assume a nib pin costs 10k delivered anywhere in the world. Closer to usa will cost less, maybe australia cost more, but ok, lets say 10k.

What if farsight does a kickstarter, and anybody who backs 100 or more will have a chance for the nib pin. (They could choose acdc premium for example, from stern)

Then they need 69k for the kickstarter, and when they reach that, and then collect the money. When everything is fine they pick a 100 dollar or more backer by lottery and he wins the nib pin.

Is that allowed by law? Not sure. But i think it would work. I think every kickstarter will be succesfull then.

What do you guys think, a stupid or a good idea?
I'll just leave SYT's comment here ...

Why does a raffle keep coming up when 1) there are many states that view raffles of this nature illegal, and 2) it's so obvious you guys just want a table for free?! Just quit it already. There's not a chance in hell FarSight is going to give away one of their machines. Period. They still reference them for game play tweaks, they enjoy them after hours, it makes the offices quite awesome to visitors.

This idea of an incentive keeps being thrown up against the wall and fails to stick every time. Come on, think of something original instead of thinking about cheep ways of getting an actual machine.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Is that allowed by law? Not sure.
It's not in most states in the USA. You have to be a charitable organization to run a raffle most places, and if you're not, then you have to run it as a sweepstakes with "no purchase necessary", "void where prohibited" and all that rot, which would defeat the entire purpose.

EDIT: And yes, enough talk of raffles and giving away a machine. The horse is dead.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Haha, that is hilarious! Obvious that i want a pin for free? How does he come up with that?

That it is not possible in some states, ok fair enough. But what about the other states? Aint there some opportunities to do so? And maybe we have some other countries outside the usa? Not sure.....

I still think it can work. And i dont care about the chance to win a pin, all i care is about getting over the kickstarter finishline. And this might help, if allowed.

And enough with the raffles? I did not read it yet on this forum, so i missed it somewhere. And....... Then still..... Its not like you guys are the ones who tell me what to say, as long its not un decend.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
There may be a small push from the iOS update due shortly which will include a link to the kickstarter like the Android version, will catch people who don't get the newsletter/facebook updates.
An update announcing Xbox One support may also help if it's on the horizon and an update confirming stretch goal/PC release date/next 360 table update.

N

netizen

An interesting idea has been popping up on the KS comments .. as a way to entice the $10 level pledgers to up their pledge offer a single Pro Table and upgrades to other tables that have pro modes, most notably STTNG and TZ.

Put this as a $35 level to get a single T2 pro Table and 2 Pro Mode upgrades on any existing table with pro mode available.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Well, let's say that it cost $200,000 to make a table. An additional $60,000 is an additional 30% to the overall cost. Would that premium table make 30% more revenue on its own just to break even? That question is rhetorical for us, because we would need information that is only available to FS.
Keep in mind they raise the price 100% on the Kickstarter tables. Obviously, I am not privy to Farsight's financials but I still struggle with believing that they can't eat $60,000 in licensing costs for a table whose prices is doubled when they've had well over 7 million downloads of TPA.

That said, I'm still backing this one. I actually want this table more than the previous two. I've actually played T2 and really like it unlike TZ and STTNG, which I'd never played (and, in the case of TZ, don't like).

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Keep in mind they raise the price 100% on the Kickstarter tables. Obviously, I am not privy to Farsight's financials but I still struggle with believing that they can't eat $60,000 in licensing costs for a table whose prices is doubled when they've had well over 7 million downloads of TPA.
Keep in mind that the majority of people who download TPA may only buy one or two table packs or none at all. Casuals who know nothing of the mechanics or pinball and don't give a crap about scoring will probably just play until the score warning pops up, then start over again, and happily play TPA over and over without spending a cent on it.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
7 Million Downloads =/ 7 Million buys.

Most of those people just play the free table of the month or checked the game out for a minute.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012

That said, I'm still backing this one. I actually want this table more than the previous two. I've actually played T2 and really like it unlike TZ and STTNG, which I'd never played (and, in the case of TZ, don't like).

The money FS pays out to liscence holders does not stop with that 60k we're trying raise.
There is an Upfront licensing fee (the 60k from the kickstarter), and then there is a per-sale licensing fee. The prices on premium tables are doubled because they owe more money per-sale than on a regular table. Again this is why these premium tables won't be done without a kickstarter. The end user cost would be way too high (over $10 bucks most likely) and people already whine about paying 4.99 for 2 tables.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
7 Million Downloads =/ 7 Million buys.

Most of those people just play the free table of the month or checked the game out for a minute.

Then there's people like me who have downloaded it on the 6 devices they own...

I may need to seek help :p

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Your idea for a raffle to win a pinball machine (valued at $10,000 delivered) has income tax consequences. Depending on your tax bracket, you'd owe the govt between $1,000 up to $4,000.

So, congrats, lucky winner, you pledged $100 to FS, won the raffle, got the machine and got a tax bill. Yay.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Haha, that is hilarious! Obvious that i want a pin for free? How does he come up with that?

That it is not possible in some states, ok fair enough. But what about the other states? Aint there some opportunities to do so? And maybe we have some other countries outside the usa? Not sure.....

I still think it can work. And i dont care about the chance to win a pin, all i care is about getting over the kickstarter finishline. And this might help, if allowed.

And enough with the raffles? I did not read it yet on this forum, so i missed it somewhere. And....... Then still..... Its not like you guys are the ones who tell me what to say, as long its not un decend.

I think I've mentioned it in this thread three times and SYT mentioned it about three posts above yours. Is that enough for you? I say "most" states because I haven't read the gambling laws in each state. But FS is incorporated in CA and California law does not allow raffles for profit except by charities. However, I doubt that any state in the US allows raffles outside of charitable purposes. I don't think there's any way they could legally run a raffle outside the US when the way to enter is through the US run Kickstarter.

There. Now is that enough talk of raffles, sweepstakes, give-aways and drawings?

Sun Vulcan

Jun 28, 2012
From Facebook:

Our T2 Kickstarter is getting close to $40K. We still need a lot more support! Stay tuned later this week for some exciting news - especially for those who backed us at the $100 level for Twilight Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts