Pt.5 - 35 Movies That Deserve More Praise

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
PURE TESTOSTERONE

I really don’t know what else to call this next batch of movies. These are the antithesis of ‘chick flicks’. I used to just call ‘em action movies, but that doesn’t quite fit the bill for some of these. Instead it’s just men being manly, talking tough, and blowing **** up.

The Road Warrior – 1981

I was 9 years old when this came out, and yet it popped up on my radar as being ‘that car movie with the punk rockers’. When it finally came to HBO, I had the date circled on the calendar, 8pm start time. And our cable went out. Utter devastation. It came on again a week later, and the picture was scrambled for the first 10 minutes of it. So my dad turned it off. I honestly don’t know if he even knew what the movie was! Finally I got to see it with no issues, and it amazes me now as much as it amazed me then.

I’m putting this here because while universally beloved, I don’t see it ranked that often. It doesn’t get the special edition treatment on video, yet it spawned an entire genre of copycats all through the 80’s. Amazingly enough, I don’t think any of its clones has ever come close to surpassing it either. It is a film stripped down to the bare essentials, with 100% real stunt work and a raw brutality. To me, it is a movie that simply hasn’t aged one bit.

By the way, in case anyone missed it, you absolutely have to watch the trailer for Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm not even gonna make you click to find it, I'm embedding this one!

Desperado – 1995

I don’t care what you may or may not think about Robert Rodriguez as a director. You simply cannot discount what he pulled off with this film. It was intentionally designed so that you could show off individual action sequences to your buddies at home without needing to watch the entire movie. No shaky cam, no breakneck editing, just perfectly framed shots for the most desired impact. It is proof positive (much like The Raid) that you do not need a large budget to put up crazy action sequences.

I’m not even going to go into the plot of this, other than to say it takes place in a dusty little Mexican town run by a gentlemanly gang leader. Antonio Banderas comes to town, all hell breaks loose, many bullets are exchanged, explosions. I do think the film holds me the distinction of having the single best introduction to a new actress ever.
Going into the film, I had no idea who Salma Hayek was. Her first scene happened, and it was as if a new star had materialized right in front of me. The scene practically begs, “did we get your attention”? After that, she practically steals every scene.

I won’t argue that this isn’t a silly movie. I mean guitar cases are used as rocket launchers and Gatling guns, and pistols have the impact of cannon fire. Instead it joins the ranks of movies like Commando, where you love them for how over the top they are, as well as how solid the action sequences are put together.

Heat – 1995

I love this movie so much, and yet a rarely watch it. It is emotionally draining for me. I view it much like I view Shawshank Redemption; excellent movies that are too long to just casually sit through, but incredibly rewarding when you do.

I could have just as easily put this into the category of Heist Movies, but ultimately it is about a code among men. It doesn’t even bother to pick sides between good and bad guys. You long for there to be a way for both sides to win, which obviously can’t happen. And that sucks.

The movie is about a master thief and the detective trying to catch him. They are two sides of the same coin, and one does not exist without the other. Michael Mann toys with the audience, holding back on giving the audience what it wants, which is a scene between Pacino and DeNiro. When that does happen, he never shows them in the same shot together. Brilliant audience manipulation.

Of course the most famous scene is the streets of Los Angeles gun shoot out. It is riveting for its sound design and cold detachment. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I remember when it finally finished, you could feel the theater collectively breath again. That scene alone should be a master class in how to shoot gun battles.

True Romance – 1993

Probably my favorite Tarantino film, even though he only wrote it and didn’t direct. This is for me the very definition of a guy’s version of a chick flick. It ultimately is a romantic movie, once you get past all the graphic violence, pimps, whores, drugs, and gangsters.

The hero of the movie, Clarence, is a comic book / film geek, which speaks directly to the very audience watching. He falls instantly in love with a girl, decides to defend her honor in a fashion that is as gutsy as it is stupid, and then spends the rest of the movie unwittingly leaving a trail of chaos.

The movie alternates between being quite funny to brutal, often within the same scene. The epitome of this is the scene between Hopper and Walken. It starts off with very witty dialogue, and slowly turns into a situation where there is no hope of reprieve. These moments of violence are almost always conscience decisions by those on the receiving end. They can either go out like a man, or go out like a wuss. No one over chooses the latter option.

I’m not going to go so far as to say I shed a tear by the end of this flick, but if I had it would be justified. Like I said, it is the guy equivalent of a chick flick. I think Tarantino’s own career has obviously overshadowed this, yet I wonder if it’d be held in higher esteem had this been one he directed himself, maybe some time after Pulp Fiction.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – 2005

Also known as Robert Downey Jr.’s come back. If you don’t know who Shane Black is, he wrote many of the best action movies of the late 80’s, early 90’s. This is his directorial debut, and it plays like a love letter to fans of his earlier work. This is a tour de force of amazing dialogue, spoken like only RDJ can, oozing sarcasm.

This is also one of those movies that break the 4th wall. It knows you are watching a movie and is not afraid to sit down and watch along with you. By the end, you only wish you could be as cool as RDJ and Val Kilmer. Because it is quirky and small budgeted though, I think it will always just be a cult film, which is a shame as it deserves so much more notoriety. I just know the movie is an adrenaline shot right into my happy place.

The Departed – 2006

Don’t look now; I just put an Oscar winning Best Picture on my list. Say what? How is this a movie needing attention? Because it was an unlikely winner, and will always be overshadowed by Scorsese’s other movies.

The original film this was adapted from was a Hong Kong movie called Infernal Affairs. Yep, I’d seen it, and it was fantastic. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out how an American version would be able to remotely be as effective. Try this on for size…while watching, knowing full well what was going to happen, I was still gob smacked when those things happened anyways. I got so absorbed in The Departed, I practically forgot I had already seen the foreign original.
Along with Heat, this is a manly man kind of movie through and through. Bad guy pretends to be good to infiltrate the police; good guy pretends to be bad to infiltrate the mob. By the end, lines are so blurred as to who is really good and who is really bad, it’s heartbreaking. You don’t come out of this kind of movie pumping your fist and feeling good about yourself. And I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Only 2 more posts to go! Next time, movies you're better off not knowing a thing about before watching.

Have you missed a previous post? Here they are!
Pt.1 - Comedies
Pt.2 - Heists and Cons
Pt.3 - Foreign
Pt.4 - Sci Fi

Last edited:

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Mmmmmm. Mad Max 2; yep.

In fact yep for them all bar Heat For me SYT.

Too much made there of Pacino with DeNiro in the hype up to release plus MM is a tad too clinical for my taste. Tough to explain without boring even myself but it all seems too quaint to use an English expression.

Nice choices though. Good to see comments from Mr Miller focussing on real stunt work rather than CG. Looking forward to 2015 a bit more than I already was now....

karl

May 10, 2012
I have seen all of those except Kiss kiss. All are great and all of them considered cult classics (at least here in Europe)

Thanks for reminding me I have still not watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Need to do something about that.

PS! Watching True Romance for the first time was just something else. Mad Max was one of the first action movies I watched, back in 82 (11 years old) Really scary but exciting at the same time. Good memories!

I need to catch up on your other movie posts, thanks for doing them

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As a kid I was a fan of Conan the Barbarian.

I still am a fan of Conan. There's something so effortless about it, like it had always existed. Conan the Destroyer tried to push the humor and make the violence bloodless, which was off putting. It's funny though you mention Conan, as it spawned an entire wave of muscle and loin cloth movies (of which they all sucked, apart from Beastmaster of course!), much like Road Warrior spawned an entire wave of post apocalyptic flicks, of which most sucked. Solar Babies? Metal Storm? Beyond Thunderdome?

night

May 18, 2012
The Black Hole, loved that movie. So-so acting but a very dark space atmosphere and music, and a great ending apotheoses where a large burning meteor rolls through the space ship! Disney's answer on the Star Wars hype.

158908-science-fiction-the-black-hole-screenshot.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I know I've seen The Black Hole, but I don't remember a thing about it. Actually I do remember one thing...

This was the first PG movie Disney put out, and there was all sorts of rhetoric about how Walt Disney must be rolling over in his grave.

Funny that you also mention this was Disney's answer to Star Wars. They have a new answer to that, called Star Wars VII :cool:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
nice collection so far .. did you like "better off dead" from the mid 80's. I have not seen it again since that long ago but my brother and I taped it on VHS back in the day and watched it many many times.. it was really funny

night

May 18, 2012
Another blast from the 80s is John Carpenters The Thing. An all mens movie with no happy ending(!) and one of the best old school special fx. Not to forget, the hypnotic tune from Ennio Morricone..

KQlt4SX.gif

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Great call Night with The Thing but, The Black Hole?

I remember seeing that when I was a kid. I sat in my cinema seat transfixed. I never saw Star Wars til it screened on TV, so TBH was my fave. Saw it again on Sky about two months ago and have to say it didn't age well. That said, I still enjoyed every minute.

How about Battle Beyond the Stars for a low budget sci fi Corman special?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
nice collection so far .. did you like "better off dead" from the mid 80's. I have not seen it again since that long ago but my brother and I taped it on VHS back in the day and watched it many many times.. it was really funny

As a matter of fact...Pt.1 - 35 Movies That Deserve More Praise has just that movie in it! I should have linked all the past threads at the end of the newest, so now I have done just that. First post has been edited to include them.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Another blast from the 80s is John Carpenters The Thing. An all mens movie with no happy ending(!) and one of the best old school special fx. Not to forget, the hypnotic tune from Ennio Morricone..

I didn't see The Thing until much much later...like late 90's. I saw the X-Files episode called 'Ice' that essentially ripped off The Thing before I actually saw it. I'm not much for horror, so I had written it off. Boy was I surprised when I finally saw it, because it is fantastic and sits on my DVD rack now.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
On a side note...

As I was looking to link parts 1-4 into this post, I noticed the views of each and kind of find it interesting.

So Pt.1 has the most currently, at 309. Makes sense, since this was the first up.
Pt.2 dropped to only 65 views, which I took for either people not wanting to read this or not liking Heist movies.
Pt.3 is the lowest with only 38 views and 0 replies. Wow. You guys hate foreign films!!
Pt.4 jumped up to 105 views, and I can only assume because it's about Sci Fi movies.

My theory gets blown though, by the fact that how can anyone know what the topic is except by viewing the actual thread? Hmmmm. I do give hints at the bottom of each one, but still. Here we are, only 1 day into Pt.5 and already up to 80+ views. Slow news day?

Also, I'm curious to know how many of you are clicking the links and watching the movie trailers? I didn't do it in the first post, but all the other ones have had links just by clicking the movie title. Maybe I'll go back and fix the first thread to match.

Anyways, I'm glad people are reading. I can and will talk movies any chance I get. To those of you that listen to our podcast, you know this all too well! Speaking of...listen to our podcasts! Sign up to our BlahCade podcast twitter feed too.

night

May 18, 2012
Oh, what about War Games? Loved that one when I was young! And the Running Man with Schwarzenegger. Tron! I believe they filmed everything in b&w, send all the film to Asia to let a group of ladies do the color-work. And The American Werewolf in London, it had a fantastic werewolf metamorphose-scene.. screw digital computer fx, these where all old school special fx that took weeks to get it done right, the love and craftmanship is just amazing.

American-Werewolf-005.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, what about War Games? Loved that one when I was young! And the Running Man with Schwarzenegger. Tron! I believe they filmed everything in b&w, send all the film to Asia to let a group of ladies do the color-work. And The American Werewolf in London, it had a fantastic werewolf metamorphose-scene.. screw digital computer fx, these where all old school special fx that took weeks to get it done right, the love and craftmanship is just amazing.

War Games has not aged well at all. The tech is so laughable by today's standards. It was a brilliant piece of cold war cinema back before we knew better. :D

Running Man < Total Recall < Commando < Predator < Terminator ... in other words, there are a bunch of Ah-nold movies I'd put on a list before that one. I do love me some Richard Dawson though.

I can't get on the Tron tip. I find it incredibly boring, especially after The Matrix which is basically telling the same story. I like the premise and everything, I like the techniques used in bringing the film to life, but it just puts me to sleep. I did enjoy Tron: Legacy.

Old school prosthetic effects are the best. Even though you know it's not real, sometimes laughably so, because they essentially ARE real, there's a magic to them. I have the same thought towards stunts. We marveled at the car jumps and high falls and fight sequences because we knew it was real people doing it for real. Or at the minimum, with real models. There was a real sense of danger to the sequences. Now you can't believe a thing you see. It could be the most spectacular stunt ever, and there will be a large portion of the audience that goes, "oh that was so fake, all CGI". Then you show them the behind the scenes of it actually happening and they go, "meh, still looked fake to me". That's why love that Fury Road trailer. Yes, the dust storm is CG, but I'd bet the majority of the car work is 100% real with actual stuntmen performing them. It's why I love The Raid, because they simply didn't have the budget to go CG with anything.

Oh, and the best part about American Werewolf is it spawned the show Manimal. I kid, I kid.

night

May 18, 2012
I agree about the use of stuntmen, it was/is a very risky business. I believe that 1 or 2 stuntfolks died in James Bond For Your Eyes Only. I recently saw a documentary about Mad Max Road Warrior, you really appreciate such scenes if you know what it takes for people to perform, and btw, this movie is a masterpiece. I like the costums in this movie as well, the fashion was a great inspiration for Duran Duran (who's name reminds me of the movie Barbarella, ha!)

Apocalypse Now is on top of my list of all time favorite, I just love about everything about this movie. (Not the redux version btw) I have seen the docu about the making of Apocalypse (Heart of Darkness), now this movie was made with such dedication and passion in the most difficult circumstances. Blade Runner, like you mentioned, unbelievable quality, brilliant acting (our Dutch pride Rutger Hauer is such a brilliant Nexus). He did another great underdog movie; Flesh + Blood, the first English movie from (again Dutch pride) Paul Verhoeven. I remember this movie was considered disgusting in our country, because of all the violence and rape scenes. I think it is a very well made and raw movie. It was in this movie Rutger Hauer got a fight with Paul Verhoeven because they he had to work all day in heavy smoke fumes, which where done by burning rubber car tires. :)

Speaking of Paul Verhoeven, I toss in another great 80s; Robocop. Great stop-motion scene of that weird robot btw.

The Empire Strikes Back, stop-motion scenes of the AT-AT's, months of work, good Lord what a brilliant movie was that. I remember as a kid I saw this in the cinema, and the suspense in the audience at the moment when that huge AT-AT felt down! This kind of moments are gone in todays cinema, that you are in your chair and think 'my God!!! did you saw that?!!'. ;)

Ok, the last one for now. Does anyone remember this.. The Dark Crystal, an all puppet movie by Jim Henson, loved it! And this is still a great movie for kids, so well made.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.