controller / keyboard / etc Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I just recently used GameKeyboard for the first time to map touch events to my Moga Pro. Very easy setup, and it works, albeit there is a noticable lag. I had tried using usb/joystick center but the setup is complicated and it is not reliable with the Moga Pro.

It's not that hard to set up the Moga Anywhere controller. I've already done it for TPA use. The trick is you need to uninstall the Moga Pivot app, which conflicts with the drivers in USB/BT Joy Center.

Keep an eye out for USB/BT Joy Center GOLD, which Poke is currently working on. I have heard from Poke that you will be able to finally map digital commands to the analog sticks of both the Moga Anywhere and Moga Pro.

He has a forum https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/pokes-android-apps/C8L0lXXcDks which shows the current progress.

The Joy2Touch server has been integrated into the app in GOLD, so using it will be far simpler than the current product. He will be offering an upgrade discount for existing customers.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Uninstalling Pivot really isn't an option as I play several games that are Moga optimized by default. (Asphalt series, GTA, Nova 3, etc)

Plus, I have the Pro, not the Anywhere...if that makes a difference.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Uninstalling Pivot really isn't an option as I play several games that are Moga optimized by default. (Asphalt series, GTA, Nova 3, etc)

Plus, I have the Pro, not the Anywhere...if that makes a difference.

USB/BT takes the place of Pivot (start USB/BT up instead of pivot to enable Moga support).

Both Anywhere and Pro are supported in the app, however the instructions to get the controller detected are far from intuitive.

Steps:
  1. Install USB/BT Joy Center app.
  2. Delete Moga Pivot app.
  3. Unpair BD&A Moga controller (just to ensure there is no hash associated with pairing the device to the moga pivot app).
  4. Go to Bluetooth settings on your device, and put device into discovery mode (search for bluetooth devices).
  5. Pair the BD&A controller.
  6. Start USB/BT Joy Center.
  7. Turn on IDE switch in app and set to USBJoyIDE <-- important step - USB/BT needs the IME set to USBJoyIDE to detect HIDs like Moga and keyboards.
  8. Put Moga into discovery mode (probably mode B - experiment).
  9. Tap Search in the app and the Moga Pro should come up as a device.
  10. Tap the Moga Pro tile to activate the controller.
  11. (as a sanity check, ensure the buttons are mapped correctly - I had to tweak the key mappings to reflect the correct button names but I think that was my OCD kicking in.)
  12. Once you are happy with the button mappings, tap EXP to export the moga controller settings as a baseline. Name them whatever you want, such as "MogaProDefault"
    You can now load this controller key mapping, customize touch mappings per game, then export the config to save unique configs for specific games.
  13. Tap the Android back key to keep USB/BT Joy Center running.
  14. Start a Moga game.

I tested these steps with the Syder Arcade and Plasma Sky apps, which are both Moga enabled. Both worked as they did with Moga Pivot.

Hope this helps.

Also read http://jaredmorgs.github.io/ for the USB/BT Joy Center guide I wrote for the dev.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I cannot get the trigger buttons to work, dpad either. Still seemed to lag a bit once setup with what I can use.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I cannot get the trigger buttons to work, dpad either. Still seemed to lag a bit once setup with what I can use.

Are the trigger buttons showing as being detected by USB/BT when you tap the Moga Pro tile and watch the little button map icons? The triggers should make a button map blink in the app. What I'm suggesting is that the buttons might be incorrectly mapped with the default key bindings in USB/BT (poke may not have a controller to test on).

If not, you can try tapping on the L1/L2/R1/R2 button map buttons and then press the key you want to map. The same for the digital dpad. I would imagine the dpad up down left right is assigned to the left analog stick like it is on the moga anywhere.

What device are you using?

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I use the pro, and you're right, it detects the left stick as the dpad and the dpad doesn't show up.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I use the pro, and you're right, it detects the left stick as the dpad and the dpad doesn't show up.

Hmm, I have a feeling that the Moga Pro may be getting detected as a Moga Anywhere (my best guess).

So with USB/BT substituting the Moga Pivot app, you can't use non-touch controls correctly in supported Moga games. Is that correct?

That is, the digital dpad and the shoulder buttons are not working correctly in moga supported games.

If that is the case, I'm pretty sure Poke would want to know about this bug. I have a feeling the driver he's consuming is only suitable for the Moga Anywhere. Just let him know what we've been talking about in here, and he will probably be able to give you an idea if it is a known issue that will be fixed in GOLD.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

As you can see, a full rewrite of USB/BT 8 was well overdue. ;)

Poke has had a pretty rough year with a lot of personal issues happening in his life, apparently. It is why he kinda dropped off the face of the planet regarding his current app.

He found himself tacking on support for the ever-growing list of controllers people wanted him to support, which hurt the apps rep as folks were saying "crap app - doesn't support a dead badger with a NES controller stuck up it's pooper" (you get the idea...).

GOLD has allowed him to draw a line in the sand and be quite clear about what controllers the app does support.

Based on the performance improvements he's been reporting in the forum, I think USB/BT Gold will be a pretty kick-ass piece of software.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I tried that but could not for the life of me figure out how to set it up with the Moga Pro.

Is there any lag when using it with the Moga Pro on TPA? If you've used it would you mind givong me some how-to specific to the Moga Pro?

Sorry - I meant it more as a suggestion, than an answer.

I spotted it mentioned in a forum this week, but haven't found the time to try it out yet, as work keeps getting in the way.

It's on my list of things to play with.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

Just following up on this. Poke has released GOLD now and it has full Moga Pro support. @Baron Rubic has been doing some deep testing of it for Poke, and reports it is running really well. He also reports that an issue with the volume buttons not being responsive is also corrected in the GOLD edition.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Any lag at all using the Moga Pro?

USB/BT Gold with Moga Pro is working perfectly, and is completely lag free thanks to the developer's efforts this past week.

Today I deleted the 'Moga Pivot' app from my N7.
TPA plays great with this (but note - Root access is required for Touch mapping).

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
USB/BT Gold with Moga Pro is working perfectly, and is completely lag free thanks to the developer's efforts this past week.

Today I deleted the 'Moga Pivot' app from my N7.
TPA plays great with this (but note - Root access is required for Touch mapping).

(I've even figured a way to get the left analogue to perform the nudging today, as I find the Moga D - pad to be in an uncomfortable position). :)

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Got it working, then while in edit mode it locked up and I couldn't turn edit mode off. Had to pop out the battery of my note 2 to get back to a normal mode. Is there any way to have more than one touch layout?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Got it working, then while in edit mode it locked up and I couldn't turn edit mode off. Had to pop out the battery of my note 2 to get back to a normal mode. Is there any way to have more than one touch layout?

Make sure you assign one controller button as 'edit touch layout' in the button editor.

The touch layouts save on a per running app basis, so you can have, one for TPA, and one for Mame, but not two different ones for TPA.
USB/BT Gold intelligently switches and saves them depending what is playing.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Damn...was hoping to have one for portrait and another for landscape. Other than the occasional lockup its working perfectly and lag-free.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Damn...was hoping to have one for portrait and another for landscape. Other than the occasional lockup its working perfectly and lag-free.

Try it out, I haven't tried that, and it may work already for orientation of device...

If it doesn't, email the dev (poke) via the Play store link. It's a good suggestion.

Last edited:

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Already tried...it just reorients the same layout but offset. I don't think I was getting any lockups until I tried it. Would simply uninstalling wipe all traces of it so I could just reinstall and test that theory, or would I need to use something such as Uninstall Master?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Already tried...it just reorients the same layout but offset. I don't think I was getting any lockups until I tried it. Would simply uninstalling wipe all traces of it so I could just reinstall and test that theory, or would I need to use something such as Uninstall Master?

Clear cache, Clear data, uninstall - should clear all customisation and app files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts