controller / keyboard / etc Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
(I've even figured a way to get the left analogue to perform the nudging today, as I find the Moga D - pad to be in an uncomfortable position). :)

Yeah, I got that figured out as well. The secret is to set the analog d-pad as a digital pad (a check box in the new interface), and position the control in such a way that when pressed it triggers the diagonal left and diagonal right touch zones, and down to trigger the up nudge.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, I got that figured out as well. The secret is to set the analog d-pad as a digital pad (a check box in the new interface), and position the control in such a way that when pressed it triggers the diagonal left and diagonal right touch zones, and down to trigger the up nudge.

Yeah - that's exactly what I came up with. (touch layout E in TPA).
Took a bit of retraining to pull back instead of push up. :)

(off topic - but are you gonna post up how that shiny new N7 plays TPA and general review?)

Last edited:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I had posted this in the kindle fire section, ill post it here too for feedback:

does the mogo pro have analogue or digital triggers?

I have had a hell of a time finishing the controller mapping due to the triggers sharing an axis output. In other words they are both mapped to, say, Z_AXIS where the left trigger goes from 0 to -1 and right from 0 to 1.

Therefore if they are held down they cancel eachother out. Brain dead to me but I am starting to wonder if its just the controller that I have (idroid snakebyte) that has this hardware limitation.

What are the most popular controllers out there in your guys' opinion?

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Moga Pro, iCade, iControlpad off the top of my head.

Not sure about the axis with the triggers, are you using a or b mode when developibg support for the moga pro?

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Baron, is it a limitation that more than two touches aren't supported? Example being having both flippers pressed and still be able to nudge.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I think moga pro and icade support would most likely cover the largest segment of android players that want to use a controller.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Baron, is it a limitation that more than two touches aren't supported? Example being having both flippers pressed and still be able to nudge.

The limit of 2 touches is in TPA.

Try this app...
Multi touch visible test.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batterypoweredgames.mtvistest
It's for developers really. Poke the USB/BT developer had me use it whilst we were debugging his app.
It will show how many touches your device does support.
I don't understand why TPA limits to 2 touches. Ryan has never commented when asked.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
It really hasn't been a big issue. Sometimes I may be cradling a ball while another is where ever and be holding the other flipper for no reason and need to nudge...like I said, not a huge issue but if they would increase it to 3-4 touches it would be perfect.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It really hasn't been a big issue. Sometimes I may be cradling a ball while another is where ever and be holding the other flipper for no reason and need to nudge...like I said, not a huge issue but if they would increase it to 3-4 touches it would be perfect.

3 should be the absolute minimum.
Cradle on each flipper and 1 nudge direction IMO.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah - that's exactly what I came up with. (touch layout E in TPA).
Took a bit of retraining to pull back instead of push up. :)

(off topic - but are you gonna post up how that shiny new N7 plays TPA and general review?)

Yeah I probably should do that.

tl: dr it's awesome.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Moga Pro, iCade, iControlpad off the top of my head.

Not sure about the axis with the triggers, are you using a or b mode when developibg support for the moga pro?

Add to this PS3 and Wii mote. As far as custom Commercially available controllers, munky nailed it.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
PS3 works awesomely using sixaxis, the only reason I didn't mention those two is I would assume there might be some sort of licensing issue if FS advertised those as working with the game. More likely than not both Sony and Nin would pitch a ***** of some sort.

N

netizen

Wouldn't the issues of touchzones be a moot point if the controls were done at the application layer like on consoles. This is pure assumption but this problem of being able to cradle and nudge probably doesn't exist on PS3 or XBox, right? Shouldn't having the controller support be at the application level instead of being touch/key mapping hacks bypass that sort of problem?

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I would think that, but that is if there is ever time to get the controller support in.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
PS3 works awesomely using sixaxis, the only reason I didn't mention those two is I would assume there might be some sort of licensing issue if FS advertised those as working with the game. More likely than not both Sony and Nin would pitch a ***** of some sort.

Dunno, since, while not the same, I have seen some games (namely, some of Sega's games) that mention that you can use an Xbox controller.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Wouldn't the issues of touchzones be a moot point if the controls were done at the application layer like on consoles. This is pure assumption but this problem of being able to cradle and nudge probably doesn't exist on PS3 or XBox, right? Shouldn't having the controller support be at the application level instead of being touch/key mapping hacks bypass that sort of problem?

I'd assume the controller support would be at an application level, and yes this would give more than 2 concurrent inputs.

I'd still like touch input to be brought up to 3 inputs minimum though.

I still play via touch occasionally, despite being able to use a controller.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'd assume the controller support would be at an application level, and yes this would give more than 2 concurrent inputs.

I'd still like touch input to be brought up to 3 inputs minimum though.

I still play via touch occasionally, despite being able to use a controller.

Try the new beta in the 1.17.0 thread. The touch zones implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts