Controller support for Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nik Barbour

This is why it is *very important* for TPA to support in-game key mapping. If anyone from Farsight reads this thread, please Don't choose to only support one type of controller.

Just give us the ability to map keys to in-game controls via a config menu and let these 3rd party controller mapping apps do the rest.

+1

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Is there something on Android that will support wired USB controllers through a USB OTG cable? I have noticed there are a few frames of lag when using my Wiimote, although I've only really been using it on emulators. Is controller lag unavoidable for any Bluetooth controller?

N

Nik Barbour

Is there something on Android that will support wired USB controllers through a USB OTG cable? I have noticed there are a few frames of lag when using my Wiimote, although I've only really been using it on emulators. Is controller lag unavoidable for any Bluetooth controller?

I've never experienced lag with any of my bluetooth controllers. Zeemote, wiimote, or sixaxis.
Even when running with a touch simulating app.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

USB/BT joystick center has support for this. If you are on Samsung, then you will want to test the controller first using the free test utility before you buy the app. Samsung has crappy USB Host API support.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
My crappy tablet has USB Host port.
I play TPA on iPhone-But USB/BT Joystick could be good for MAME4Droid, etc :)
Thanks

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
My crappy tablet has USB Host port.
I play TPA on iPhone-But USB/BT Joystick could be good for MAME4Droid, etc :)
Thanks

What tablet do you have, HOW? Its worth noting that some Samsung devices do have support. And in the user guide, there are instructions that *may* get it working on devices with shady support.

The other option is to install a custom ROM. Most decent offerings have USB Host Support baked in.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Wiimote Controller stopped working after the most recent Android update. I'm using a Nexus 7 so I don't have to worry about the Samsung thing. I just purchased a USB OTG cable but it should be 2 weeks, I'll try that app when it gets here with my USB pad.

N

Nik Barbour

What tablet do you have, HOW? Its worth noting that some Samsung devices do have support. And in the user guide, there are instructions that *may* get it working on devices with shady support.

The other option is to install a custom ROM. Most decent offerings have USB Host Support baked in.

Worth noting.
Sixaxis app installs it's own bluetooth connectivity drivers temporarily. Therefore even if your rom doesn't have full L2CAP support (htc & Samsung) this should work perfectly without replacing the rom.

N

netizen

I noticed in the thread for the latest iOS build that Far Sight snuck in iCade support, but it is limited to landscape perspective so far.

Does anyone have any way to test this for Android, or is there anyway to find out if this will be implemented?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Wiimote Controller stopped working after the most recent Android update. I'm using a Nexus 7 so I don't have to worry about the Samsung thing. I just purchased a USB OTG cable but it should be 2 weeks, I'll try that app when it gets here with my USB pad.

Yep, you can thank the change of Bluetooth stack in 4.2.0 for that. Hopefully the USB OTG cable works for you on the N7. I hear that change is happening with Bluetooth for A2DP in 4.2.3 so you may be in luck with other Bluetooth data transfer issues.

N

Nik Barbour

I know I sound like a stuck record, but sixaxis app works with 4.2.1 and Nexus 7 even though bluetooth connectivity is goosed in this OS version, because it temporarily installs its own drivers whilst running.
Sorry guys - but I'm a big fan of it!

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I know I sound like a stuck record, but sixaxis app works with 4.2.1 and Nexus 7 even though bluetooth connectivity is goosed in this OS version, because it temporarily installs its own drivers whilst running.
Sorry guys - but I'm a big fan of it!

I don't have any Sony hardware. If I connect my old or new Xbox controller to my nexus 7 - will it work? I'm guessing I won't be able to map the controls correctly.

N

Nik Barbour

I don't have any Sony hardware. If I connect my old or new Xbox controller to my nexus 7 - will it work? I'm guessing I won't be able to map the controls correctly.

You're right - it will register and work for apps that allow keyboard mapping (broglia emus, mame4droid,etc), but TPA is touchscreen only so you need an app that maps controller button presses to be simulated touchscreen presses like 'sixaxis' or 'btusb' (but btusb won't work with 4.2.1 as discussed above)

I didn't have any Sony hardware either, but bagged a spare controller off a mate who rebuilds consoles and pc's for people. You need a genuine sixaxis or dualshock (no 3rd party pads work) but the I've seen them on eBay for £10 used. And of course you need to be rooted.
Plays great - lag free and cable free.

Day

Jan 9, 2013
hi to all... my maiden post :) and this topic's as good a place as any to jump in and break the duck.

I'd like to be able to share Nick's enthusiasm for nexus7 (jellybean 4.2.1 stock) with six axis controller however I just cannot get this working reliably. since the newest build from FS seems to have made some tables more difficult and since I find touch nudging practically impossible due to the limited time available to move ones digits up to the upper centre of screen, and shake nudging just too darn sensitive, that I end up tilting when I wasn't even trying to nudge, I thought I'd blow the dust off that €50 sixaxis controller and give it another shot.... i'll consider anything that might increase my competitive advantage. I've even reedited the touch profile..... what's the issue some of you may be wondering ??? well left is mapped to left flipper and circle to right flipper. using either one or the other seems fine 99% of the time but if I want to press both together or one and immediately thereafter the other, one will not register a key press and the flipper won't flip. this seems to happen more often than both flippers functioning together.

I guess not Nik but does anyone else recognise this behaviour? maybe I have configured too many touch spots in touch profile? presently using 2 touch points for each flipper.... maybe I should scale back to one? I also have two touch points for nudge and one for plunger.

for now, I'm less than satisfied but soldiering on with thumbs at bottom of screen just above the soft keys (wish this could be disabled in stock jellybean) and with no realistic possibility to nudge, the highest scores on the leaderboard seem way out of reach.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Hey day,
Below you is an image of my portrait touch mapping profile for TPA portrait.
This does pretty much everything for me including some menu control, also analogue plunging.
y5uby4yh.jpg

As with any touchscreen, it can only register so many points of touch, which is why I generally try to limit to one flipper, one nudge direction, occasionally I'll think its jammed but I'm accidentally mashing several controller buttons in pinball induced fury.
One tip I've learned is.... Notice the L2 R2 buttons are mapped to be swiped presses rather than direct presses. For some reason, these work much better with BK's magnasave, and MM & AFM's launch buttons.

One fault I have noticed (and you can try this without a controller) is if cradling on one side (eg right hand side) then you touch nudge on same side of screen as you are cradling on (which isn't generally required) then the flipper you are holding up, pulses and flips shooting the ball off. This is a bug in TPA though not sixaxis.

You do have to play with sixaxis setup a lot before you get it exactly right. - but once you do!.......

+ you have to use shoulder buttons for flippers L1, R1. Anything else just wouldn't feel right. :)

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Unfortunately any app that is allowed to interact in this way with the touchscreen requires root elevation. Because if any app was able to do this, then all sorts of nasty behavior could be introduced into malicious apps.

This is why it is *very important* for TPA to support in-game key mapping. If anyone from Farsight reads this thread, please Don't choose to only support one type of controller.

Just give us the ability to map keys to in-game controls via a config menu and let these 3rd party controller mapping apps do the rest.

This post sums it all up perfectly.
I would love to see this type of key mapping built into TPA. I really don't feel like rooting my new Note II for touch-map based controller support.

N

Nik Barbour

This post sums it all up perfectly.
I would love to see this type of key mapping built into TPA. I really don't feel like rooting my new Note II for touch-map based controller support.

I'd agree - I rooted to get round touchscreen controls, but Farsight and Zen should both implement customisable keyboard control options.
But....... it's almost 12 months and neither have, so it's really up to you how much you want physical controller option. Root or don't nobody's gonna force you.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Having read all this I think I will wait for FS to allow correct mapping. Don't fancy routing and can't be doing with hassle.

My nudging ability has improved on the nexus since I learnt to place thumbs at bottom of screen for flipper control and then lay index fingers vertically either side of the screen - fingers can be used for nudge controI. Its not perfect and a little tricky to start with but does allow much quicker nudging.

Day

Jan 9, 2013
Morning Nik

Hey day,
Below you is an image of my portrait touch mapping profile for TPA portrait.
This does pretty much everything for me including some menu control, also analogue plunging.

many thanks for this, for words of encouragment and for sharing your sixaxis controller touch profile. I'm going to scratch what i have and remodel on yours, because as you say, "It pretty much does everything" big scores ahead :)

Notice the L2 R2 buttons are mapped to be swiped presses rather than direct presses...... & ...... + you have to use shoulder buttons for flippers L1, R1. Anything else just wouldn't feel right. :)

I'm interested and intrigued enough as to how different this will feel to be willing to use L1 and R1 as flippers even when i find holding the sony controller this way a little cramped. I never had a sony PS 1, 2 or 3) and so have never gotten used to this controller. I would always have used Saitek or Thrustmaster on PC,and i bought the Sony just to get some better control in PBA on Nexus 7.

One other thing i noticed yesterday is a setting called analog poll rate ("increasing this value should help improve performance"). Do you know, is this applicable to the flipper buttons of only to the two analog sticks? (sorry if this sounds like an obvious, dumb question). I'm gonna try anyway, push the value from 3 (default) to 10 and see if flippers respond quicker (and if sixaxis battery drains quicker).

One fault I have noticed (and you can try this without a controller) is if cradling on one side (eg right hand side) then you touch nudge on same side of screen as you are cradling on (which isn't generally required) then the flipper you are holding up, pulses and flips shooting the ball off.

I've seen this done in RL years ago- nudging the ball whilst cradling - but i don't do that and cant think what benefit this would bring. Not applicable to me therefore but cheers for the hint anyway.

You do have to play with sixaxis setup a lot before you get it exactly right. - but once you do!.......

I'll report back on perceived improvement. empirical measure will of course be evident on the Leaderboards

RBION top 50, here i come ;)
Look Out !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts