Controller support for Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
On those recommendations, I might have to give the Dualshock a go. Get a 2nd hand one and it will be even cheaper!

I did the exact same 2 years ago as I don't have a PS3. Cost me a pint of the black stuff off a mate, and it's still going strong.

Edit - make sure you get a genuine Sony and not an alternative manufacturer like Mad Catz or some other as only Sony's are guaranteed to work with Sixaxis.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I did the exact same 2 years ago as I don't have a PS3. Cost me a pint of the black stuff off a mate, and it's still going strong.

Edit - make sure you get a genuine Sony and not an alternative manufacturer like Mad Catz or some other as only Sony's are guaranteed to work with Sixaxis.

Yeah, I remember reading that. Often the third party controllers map the bits for each axis on the same channel. Really freaks with the mapping.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Just had an hour swapping between Dualshock/Sixaxis and Moga/MogaPivot both using Ryan's newly implemented Moga support, and I would say TPA definitely runs smoother with Sixaxis than Pivot on my hardware. N7 stock JB4.3 Rooted.
Sixaxis must run less resource intensively than Moga pivot app.

Don't get me wrong - both play great, but Dualshock/Sixaxis is noticeably smoother

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah that was my intent, to make it like the B mode but ran out of time, I will take a look.

There were a few members posting about their shield experience.
Am I making things in my head, or is there a noticeable difference in flipper strength when you use L1/R1 vs L2/R2?

For the Moga Pro mode A, it'd be consistent if it was possible to keep the same/similar button config as the PC/Console versions.
Flippers/Magna Save: interchangeable between L1/R1 and L2/R2
Left Stick: Nudge
R Stick: Plunge
Start: Pause
A: Select + trigger/Plunge button
B: Back
Y: Change Camera View
X: lock Camera View
D-Pad: navigate menus
Enter intials: assigned flippers keys

Select: add credit/machine start button(?) for buy ins or to add player after pressing play(?) Just trying to think of future requests and slip one in :D

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
With the extra buttons on the Moga Pro, mapping magna saves to X and B buttons should not be changed as part of the main scheme, Ryan.

Not sure what you mean, do you mean Moga Pocket? I left the a b x y buttons alone I didn't know they were mapping to magna in A mode. Since you don't have triggers we may have to use one of those for magna on the pocket.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Just had an hour swapping between Dualshock/Sixaxis and Moga/MogaPivot both using Ryan's newly implemented Moga support, and I would say TPA definitely runs smoother with Sixaxis than Pivot on my hardware. N7 stock JB4.3 Rooted.

Don't get me wrong - both play great, but Dualshock/Sixaxis is noticeably smoother

Glad the Dualshock works tooo! =D

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Glad the Dualshock works tooo! =D

You can see why we've been pushing for this feature for so long, Ryan. ;-)

It makes people excited about the game again! Controlling a game is a big part of the experience.

Is Farsight going to document the controller layout in-app, or will you link out to a page explaining each feature?

I was going to write a rollup thread for controller support so it could be stickied, similar to what I did for the launch button.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
honestly I don't know, I kinda just ninja'd in the functionality last minute lol. I might wait to see how compatible all the buttons are and then include it in the instructions (ie a = a button on most controllers etc).

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

Have you tried playing other Moga compatible games with the dual shock and the sixaxis app?

Are other apps compatible with the native controller mode set in sixaxis?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
honestly I don't know, I kinda just ninja'd in the functionality last minute lol. I might wait to see how compatible all the buttons are and then include it in the instructions (ie a = a button on most controllers etc).

OK, well I'll write up the sticky thread which should make documenting it in-app easier when the time comes. You could also link to it in the play store description as a reference for customers.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Have you tried playing other Moga compatible games with the dual shock and the sixaxis app?

Are other apps compatible with the native controller mode set in sixaxis?

Yeah Sixaxis still rocks - just tried this with both Zen (although it doesn't have as good controller integration as TPA :)), and GTA III.
Both had full controller support, with GTA having analogue stick support exactly as if you had connected a Moga in mode B.

esepatyg.jpg

Anything Moga compatible works as if connected in mode B.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Not sure what you mean, do you mean Moga Pocket? I left the a b x y buttons alone I didn't know they were mapping to magna in A mode. Since you don't have triggers we may have to use one of those for magna on the pocket.
Sorry, I only just saw this reply (missed it in the churn on this thread once you put controller support in).

Yep, I meant the Moga Pocket. Because the Moga Pocket only has two shoulder buttons the X and B buttons would probably be needed for magnasave.

The advantage of this would be that the B button could also double as the launch ball button for solenoid launched tables (seeing as though the right magnasave button on BK is in the same position as the LAUNCH BALL button).

This would probably need some collaboration as to the best mapping vs the available buttons, but the mapping scheme I mentioned before in a previous post would be the most optimal for Moga Pocket AFAICT.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
OK, well I'll write up the sticky thread which should make documenting it in-app easier when the time comes. You could also link to it in the play store description as a reference for customers.

Thanks Jared!

OK. Thread roll-up created.

Everyone, please verify the button mappings I've specified are correct. I've taken what I can from this thread, but the variations between Moga Pro and NVIDIA Shield may not be correct (some patchy info AFAICT).

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/6662-Explained-Controller-Support-Options-for-Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts