Mike can you guys please fix the nag screen?

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I thought for sure you'd fix it in the next update (yesterday), but it's still there. Popping up randomly over and over even though it should only happen the once.
Or is there anything I can do to myself to make it stop? A file I can delete? Anything?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I thought for sure you'd fix it in the next update (yesterday), but it's still there. Popping up randomly over and over even though it should only happen the once.
Or is there anything I can do to myself to make it stop? A file I can delete? Anything?

Just to clarify, are you talking about the What's New that shows up when you first boot the game?

If so, an easy work around until I figure out what's going on might be to run the DX9 version get to the main menu past that screen and then quit and play DX11 version.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Yeah, that's the one. It shows up probably 6 out of every 10 times I start the game. No big deal for most as they can simply skip past it.
I'm on a dedicated machine though so it interrupts the script that automatically navigates the TPA menus to launch the table I chose.

I also have to rename the PinballArcade11.exe to PinballArcade.exe to get the DX11 version to work on my cab.

I'll try what you suggested. I've done that before, but from the .exe's not from Steam itself.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
[MENTION=132]Mike Reitmeyer[/MENTION]

Gave it a shot and launching DX9 and DX11 versions through Steam a couple times each with no nag screen issues.
Then I tried launching direct from the EXE and got the nag screen 4 boots in a row on the DX11 version.

So I think it probably does have to do with launching from the exe's, but people running on cabinets don't really have a choice.

Thanks for your help.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Hm, based on the response from Mike I don't think uninstall helps. Can't remember who posted it...

IF you try the uninstall method anyway be sure to backup the save game folder, just in case! It's under "My Games" C:\Users\your username\My Games\Pinball Arcade.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Uh nice.
Didn't update for a while so I wondered if it somehow didn't work or I missed it.
Thanks.
Enjoy the weekend :)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks for the update Mike! Sounds like I might be skipping work tomorrow.

EDIT: Just to be clear, this new argument we can launch to remove nag screen issues can be launched straight from the Explorer .exe right?

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the update Mike! Sounds like I might be skipping work tomorrow.

EDIT: Just to be clear, this new argument we can launch to remove nag screen issues can be launched straight from the Explorer .exe right?

It'll skip the nag screen. I haven't found a solution for running the exe directly and having it run the DX11 version. I have a support question in with Valve on that.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
OK thanks.
I'm not sure how to make it work though so I've asked the RocketLauncher front end guys if it can be added into the TPA launching script/module.
I'll let you know if we get it working.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
? Nukelauncher
You have to select the exe with right mouse button, get to properties and add skipwhatsnew as launch argument.

BTW noexes free cam mod is able to directly launch the dx11 exe

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
? Nukelauncher
You have to select the exe with right mouse button, get to properties and add skipwhatsnew as launch argument.

BTW noexes free cam mod is able to directly launch the dx11 exe
I'm not using Nukelauncher. I'm using Hyperspin as a front-end, managed by HyperLaunch/RocketLauncher on the backend.
I'm guessing your right-click tip above is a Nukelauncher thing, because doing that in Windows Explorer gives me no option to launch with a parameter.

That cam mode is cool, but the fact that it disables the panning and event cameras really ruins it for me so I don't use it.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I did just find that if I create a shortcut to the .exe, and then right-click the shortcut and under properties change its path to have the "skipwhatsnew" at the end it works. I managed to launch Pinball Arcade from that shortcut 15 times in a row without the nag screen popping up once. So it seems to work.

Now it's just figuring out how to get it to work with my front end (the shortcut doesn't unfortunately)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
^ ah OK I thought everyone uses pinballx nowadays. You should try, you can just use your hyperpin media files.
How does rocketlaucher work with TPA? Have to check this out...

And yes, the method with the shortcut was what I meant. Sorry I said exe. As the Frontend uses a similar launch command, you could try to ad the argument to the setting path in hyperpin that points to the TPA exe...

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
My frontend is Hyperspin (not Hyperpin) because my cab runs pinball and thousands of other arcade games. Needs a frontend that can run anything and any emulator which is why the backend is managed by RocketLauncher.

I've tried changing the path to point at the shortcut instead of the .exe, but no luck. I'm sure it's an easy fix, just waiting to hear back from the programmers on it.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Ah OK. Have to read better
Too bad it doesn't work with the Frontend.
Workaround would be to make a very simple ahk script exe that launches TPA with given argument.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Ah OK. Have to read better
Too bad it doesn't work with the Frontend.
Workaround would be to make a very simple ahk script exe that launches TPA with given argument.

That's how the module scripts work in RocketLauncher. I'm sure it may be an easy fix, but since their AHK module/script launches TPA using the Steam ID (instead of looking for an .exe path) I'm just not sure how/where to inject that parameter.
Thanks for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts