New UI Public Beta

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
The graphic doesn't look the same way as it does in landscape, here's a sample*

*I should say the placement of the graphic isn't the best, it too moves around depending on your resolution, 2160p/1440p vs 1080p, regardless of orientation.

Last edited:

SCAAMMM

Nov 6, 2013
Cannot start a table with a joypad?

come on! That's basic design.

Also, the table listing ie by manufacturer, etc. just quickly pops up then disappears.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Cannot start a table with a joypad?

come on! That's basic design.

What are you using? I use a PS4 controller and can navigate the entire menu without using mouse. I do use the touchpad on it though, hmmmmm. But even when I was using my Logitech f710 I was able to start tables no problem.

SCAAMMM

Nov 6, 2013
Apologies all round. Have just discovered the left stick acts as a kind of mouse pointer.

Wasn't noticing this before.

Again, apologies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Glad you saw that. When the beta first went up, I don't think that worked and you did have to use the mouse, so that's why I thought it strange. Using the touchpad on the PS4 controller has made it a moot point to me.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
What are you using? I use a PS4 controller and can navigate the entire menu without using mouse. I do use the touchpad on it though, hmmmmm. But even when I was using my Logitech f710 I was able to start tables no problem.

I've tried the PS4 controller on steam, even with the software. Five seconds later, I grabbed my old beat up 360 controller and got better results. I still want to get an XBOne controller.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've tried the PS4 controller on steam, even with the software. Five seconds later, I grabbed my old beat up 360 controller and got better results. I still want to get an XBOne controller.

What didn't you like about it? Were you using DS4 Windows? I cannot tell a difference between the 360 controller and the PS4 in terms of button latency or movement. I happen to vastly prefer the Dual Shock layout, which is why I'm even using the PS4 controller at all. Functionally though, the basics are the same.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Can the entire UI be navigated with just a keyboard yet (absolutely no mouse needed at all)?
Because if not then I won't even be able to start a game on my cab anymore. It will be a dark day when this Sh**** UI goes live. I haven't tried the beta in awhile, but it was pretty terrible then. I'm just hoping the final version is improved but it sounds like basic, simple, common sense things are still very wrong with it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Can the entire UI be navigated with just a keyboard yet (absolutely no mouse needed at all)?
Because if not then I won't even be able to start a game on my cab anymore. It will be a dark day when this Sh**** UI goes live. I haven't tried the beta in awhile, but it was pretty terrible then. I'm just hoping the final version is improved but it sounds like basic, simple, common sense things are still very wrong with it.

I've never tried playing TPA with a keyboard, and certainly not without a mouse, so I booted up the new UI to see. A pop up box of what's new came up first, and I couldn't figure out how to advance past it. Pushing enter didn't work, nor did the arrow keys. The main menu page, I was completely able to control with keyboard only. Was able to select all the way to playing a table. When trying to get back to the menu, I couldn't figure out how to navigate.

Should be noted, while playing a table, it took me forever to figure out how to even plunge, so I'm not exactly the best test subject here.

I know you hate the new UI, regardless of how it works with your cabinet. That being said, FarSight isn't designing it for cabinet use so functionality in that realm is not a priority. I think the easy solution is to have a wireless mouse or touchpad easily accessible to your cab and navigate with those.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks for testing it for me. Appreciate it. That's a bummer to hear though. The last thing you want to do with a cabinet is have to pull out a keyboard or mouse. Especially since the current one works keyboard only perfectly.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G935V

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah I can't believe they downgraded the functionality of the controls. But don't worry, you can emulate everything with xpadder, given that you have at least 4 spare buttons for up down left right mouse movement.
It is a workaround until this gets fixed by fs or the community.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I haven't tried the beta UI but it does worry me that it's taken me ages to set up my cab to get things running smoothly and now there is a possibility of things not working properly. What frustrates me is the fact that whenever I switch the cab on and some update from TPA comes up, I'm thinking...Oh no...what's gonna go wrong now!

When Zen pinball updates, I don't have the same concerns...in fact, it's more like...Ah, Zens updated...can't wait to see what improvements have been made.

But I haven't seen the new UI and I guess I shouldn't judge yet...I may prefer the new system...but I have a sneaky feeling it's gonna cause me issues :)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I am just sticking with the current TPA build now and won't be upgrading anymore due to the UI. Might be the best choice so might be worth considering.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I am just sticking with the current TPA build now and won't be upgrading anymore due to the UI. Might be the best choice so might be worth considering.

Doing that will lock you out of all future table releases. The old UI won't be getting updates, which means it won't be getting new tables.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012

I'd happily do the same, except that no matter what I do TPA auto-updates through Steam.
I keep a full backup of the current version, but even then I'd have to copy it all over first after disconnecting from the internet every single time I want to play it.

Currently I purchase the Seasons for the Vita, PS4 and Steam so they make $100 off me with each season, but if this new UI doesn't get some competent & serious improvements this may be the last season I purchase for any of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts