Portrait mode on PC? (Update: Now Available)

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I think TPA will be better in the long run. It looks great really. It just needs portrait. I am sure some tables might be too easy, but that is a different issue. They look fantastic so far. Look forward to trying them out in portrait very much.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
As a fellow cabinet owner, I'll also be waiting for portrait support. I recognize cabinet owners are a small minority, but you'd be surprised how many people can make use of portrait mode for pinball games. I've been following the community on Pinball FX 2 and many people use monitors with rotatable stands or mounts. Some have even used creative solutions like small guitar stands for temporarily holding the monitor sideways. Same deal with being able to put the DMD on a second monitor, actually. I've seen many people who just have multiple desktop monitors request that for PBFX2.

All I know is once you play pinball in portait mode, it's extremely hard to go back. You're always sacrificing either seeing details or seeing from the proper angle, or dealing with annoying panning/zooming cameras. I played the beta for a few hours in landscape on my desktop just for the purposes of helping out, reporting some bugs and pushing for good keyboard support and control options for when I can eventually put it on the cabinet. But despite having access to all those tables right now, I'm just not enthusiastic about playing it - I feel like I'd be spoiling it by playing it a bunch. I want to wait and play it "for real" in portrait. :p

Anyway, my point is cabinet-specific features are only for a small (but hardcore) percentage of people, while portrait mode itself can actually be used by many more.

But I'm willing to accept that they want to get the base game out first. I just hope the wait isn't too long after that.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Bye! Don't let the doorknob... etc.

Come ON folks, The word doesn't revolve around you.
The majority of folks won't use rotated screens or build cabinets. That is pretty self-evident.

Let them get the damn thing released first so there's something to actually PLAY...

Storming off in a huff does nothing for anyone, other than potentially providing sweet, sweet silence in the forums.

Or, you know, it lets the developers know it's a feature that we actually care about.
To me, the entire point of getting a PC version is the portrait mode. There are zero other reasons for me to play the game on a PC. I'll can just stick with the iPad.

Also, you don't need a cabinet to want portrait mode. Half the people in my office have there monitors rotated to the portrait position. I don't like the camera zooming all over the place, I like to see the whole table at the same time.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Or, you know, it lets the developers know it's a feature that we actually care about.
To me, the entire point of getting a PC version is the portrait mode. There are zero other reasons for me to play the game on a PC. I'll can just stick with the iPad.

Also, you don't need a cabinet to want portrait mode. Half the people in my office have there monitors rotated to the portrait position. I don't like the camera zooming all over the place, I like to see the whole table at the same time.

Agree 100%.

I have kind of lost interest in PC version now despite waiting over 18 months for it. The portrait VP tables are so good nowadays supporting 2/3 screens I don't see the point in buying PA again for 3rd time if I don't get a basic portrait mode. With rotatable monitors so common nowadays it is absolutely backwards implementing the game of pinball only in the 'tiresome days of old' view. I seriously cannot believe it.

flywithsean

Apr 20, 2013
I still dont understand why you cant just rotate your display to at least get you closer to the feel you are looking for. I have been doing this since day 1 on my Mac Book Air. Or is this because its a iOS port?

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
I still dont understand why you cant just rotate your display to at least get you closer to the feel you are looking for. I have been doing this since day 1 on my Mac Book Air. Or is this because its a iOS port?

The PC version (the beta) does not support portrait resolutions right now. In fact, I think I saw reports that it crashed straightaway in portrait. They have to implement support for it, specifically for the UI/menus. See Mike's post: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...-support-for-TPA?p=96119&viewfull=1#post96119

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
its shame they did a straight port - i was hoping for something a little different/special on the PC. Portrait is the one thing that would make me switch from the Android/Xbox version.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
its shame they did a straight port - i was hoping for something a little different/special on the PC. Portrait is the one thing that would make me switch from the Android/Xbox version.
It's coming, there's just a lot of grunt work involved in rearranging the UI to look good in portrait. The effort right now is going into bug fixing.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
It's coming, there's just a lot of grunt work involved in rearranging the UI to look good in portrait. The effort right now is going into bug fixing.

It makes me feel a little better that the tables will probably be on sale when portrait mode finally makes it in.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
While I wouldn't cry if the game came out without portrait mode, now that I have an Asus PB278Q that includes it's own tilt in the stand... I do think the feature would be neat. :)

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
I will check it out at the expo in Chicago on Saturday and report back unless someone who's going earlier beats me to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts