Table of the Week Club...week 1 : GENIE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I played another game now. 2.8M with 2 balls to go (3-ball mode), thinking this looks promising. Final score... 2.839xxx :eek: Genie you can be a cruel mofo! :D

Iguana

Jul 28, 2013
867k personal best, 635k since game of the week started. Booooooo!

I'm Starting to recall why I hardly ever returned to this bastard (prior to this week).

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I played another game now. 2.8M with 2 balls to go (3-ball mode), thinking this looks promising. Final score... 2.839xxx :eek: Genie you can be a cruel mofo! :D

Nice!

I'll try and catch that score. I got all the Wizard goals this month, and my 3M+ game is listed as 3rd for the month. I am at #3 for the week and it appears that your score is leading the way...for now. :p

Here are some of my tips to everyone, for whatever they may be worth:

Getting an extra ball (3 possible ways to achieve this each ball) is the prime directive on any new ball. Once I get an extra ball, I can relax a bit and consider the rest of the ball a bonus time. Though, as often is the case, it seems that my ball drains immediately after collecting an extra ball, so I'm always stressing.

I prioritize the shot to the lit drop targets if my advance bonus multiplier is not yet maxed at 5X. Ultimately I want to collect the bonus as often as possible (top right sink hole), and having 5X can make for a much bigger final score.

Sometimes a delicate nudging to the left as the ball is dropping down the left lane below A-B-C-D can prevent it from taking the left path and draining. Sometimes. Hard slams usually cause the ball to take the left path and drain.

And I agree, the lit spinner is an awesome shot from either flipper, and rarely does it get me in any trouble. If anything, it serves multiple purposes. I get the bonus for the spins, the ball hits the bumper and activates the multiplier at the center drop targets, and it places the ball in the upper section where I can try and knock targets down to light the special or extra ball shots.

I turn the sound WAY down and listen to music with headphones. I can only barely hear the game sound in between songs. My sound system is separate from my gaming PC, which makes it easy to adjust the game volume over speakers and have my music playing at a different volume. I highly recommend turning the sounds down on this game. The sounds don't really add too much to this game anyway. The sounds can become frustrating very quickly.

I find that usually a single ball nets me the majority of my score. This could be the first ball or the fifth. Don't be discouraged if you only have 75K on ball 5. You could get in a zone and score 2M+ points with that ball. Don't even bother starting the game over after a bad start, just keep playing and try to ignore what ball you're on. Think of it like you have 5 chances to get that big score. You can keep getting extra balls indefinitely, and you could complete every Wizard goal on ball 5 just as easily as you could on any other ball.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Good job and grats on clearing the 3M goal Crazy Newt!!

I think this is the only table where I turn the sound off completely, it gets too annoying.

The game seems to mix up which ball I'm playing a bit. I got the eb on my first ball and it actually gave me 2 ebs. But then when I played my fourth ball (second "real" ball), I got another eb, which didn't get added at all, so after draining that it was straight on to ball 3 (or 5 counting the ebs). I've seen this many times on Genie, and although for this game the total number of balls were correct I think this bug usually will end up favoring the player with a free ball.

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
Good job and grats on clearing the 3M goal Crazy Newt!!

I think this is the only table where I turn the sound off completely, it gets too annoying.

The game seems to mix up which ball I'm playing a bit. I got the eb on my first ball and it actually gave me 2 ebs. But then when I played my fourth ball (second "real" ball), I got another eb, which didn't get added at all, so after draining that it was straight on to ball 3 (or 5 counting the ebs). I've seen this many times on Genie, and although for this game the total number of balls were correct I think this bug usually will end up favoring the player with a free ball.

I suspected something was going on with EBs, but I don't think it is in the players benefit. I just had back to back games with rather epic first balls, both get an extra ball on ball #1, around 300k points. Both games counted me as being on ball #2, not awarding me my EB.

Edit:don't think it matters which way you get the EB either, first game was ABCD EB, second was white drop target EB. Seems there is a lot of crazy stuff going on with the PS4 versions

Last edited:

RushDude2112

Jan 5, 2015
Well I finally completed the Standard Goals, I like this idea of table of the week. I hope I can break 3 mil before the end of the week.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Slam23 over in the Firepower forum requested that I come in over here for some help.

I did see a lot of dead flipper passes, I'm gonna have to try that.

This, a thousand times this. This is the key to advancing from flailing novice to competence on Genie. Catch the ball, catch the ball, catch that goddamn motherlovin' ball.

Catching the ball is a deep pinball skill in and of itself. There are many ways and subtle flipper moves, but dead passes are primary, easy to learn and execute. Genie gives lots of rebounds at moderate speed suitable for dead passing to a trap. It's possibly the best of all tables to practice this on. I got noticeably better at this on other tables after drilling myself on Genie up to the 3M wizard goal.

Once you have the ball caught, get it to the lower right flipper. If it's on the left, post pass. If it's on the rightmost flipper, just let it drop then hold the right main flipper and you'll get a catch. Then shoot it from that full catch into the upper playfield. It's OK to flail with the upper flippers - there's not a lot you can do in the way of control there - but it is important to slap-nudge a flipper into the ball whenever it can reach.

Then when it comes down, catch it again. This is how you get those extra balls and sustain a game into multiple millions. Eyes on the prize, the EBs, ignore the bonus X targets and bonus hole. Catch and keep catching and drill that upper playfield until you light the EB or special. Then use your catching skills to get the ball on the lower-left flipper in order to collect it.

Do NOT shoot towards the upper playfield from the rightmost flipper. It feels fun but that's a nasty sucker punch. You will miss and earn yourself either a screaming rebound towards the center drain or a terrifying trip through the left outlane contraption. Get the ball off there and down to the right main flipper.

Whenever you have that good ball one then those two quick drains, that's because you got excited and started flailing and forgot to drill on catching the ball.

TLDR: catch the ball.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for doing this, by the way! I may start up doing this series possibly after Farsight streams (every other week is probably on Friday) and after the new release. (Who knows...I'll do it someday.)

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Is there anything about the Extra Balls, why I didn't get the Wizard Goal just now? I had 2 Extra Balls with my first ball, and another one later, but didn't get the goal recognized.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
*huge sigh of relief*

Finally, FINALLY got the 3 extra balls. Got the first one on ball one. Got the second one on extra ball one. Lit it up twice more during balls 2 and 3, but couldn't convert. Finally got it again on ball 5. Wow, that was exhausting!

So yeah, I stopped shooting for the bonus targets and focused exclusively on the shooting the upper playfield. If the ball was on the left flipper, I shot for the spinner and at least half the time that sends the ball to the upper. If it was on the right flipper, I shot straight up to the upper. Once there, if at all possible, I'd try catching the ball and aiming. Yeah, right. Interestingly enough though, all three of the extra balls I collected were from hitting the target in the upper, not to the right above the special.

My best score is still only 960k and change, so now I just wanna pass 1 million.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Is there anything about the Extra Balls, why I didn't get the Wizard Goal just now? I had 2 Extra Balls with my first ball, and another one later, but didn't get the goal recognized.

I believe it only counts per new ball, so the 2nd extra ball you got during ball 1 didn't get counted towards the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts