The PS3 "super patch"

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
This is the only turn based multi-player game on the PS3 that I've ever played that doesn't support multiple controllers. Why does FarSight act like this is some kind of luxury option. I'm actually surprised that Sony approved the game without multiple controller support. Almost two years later...kind of ridiculous for something that should have been there to begin with.

Especially considering that PHOF supports multiple controllers. So this is a feature that they actually took out of the game in making TPA. Color me puzzled, to say the least.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Indeed that is what I was referring to. I have yet to complete the last standard goal because it takes about an hour just to get 10 jet bumper hits.

The jet bumpers are the right power on the PS4. I easily got Super Jets in my second game.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Probably my biggest pet peeve with the game (and I call it a peeve instead of an "issue" because it doesn't directly effect gameplay) is the lack of multiple controllers. I have 4 DS controllers and one ends up getting hot, sweaty, and with a dead battery after a few hours of playing, while the other $150 worth of controllers sit there un-used.

I have to say, nothing gets me out of my zone more than being handed a hot, sweaty, controller by my friend when it's my turn to play. I barely want to touch the thing, much less get down to business on a table.

Another stunning example of TPA moving backwards from P:HOF. This is a 2014, not 1988. Multiple controllers on multiplayer games have been the standard for... oh... a decade or two now? It's not a luxury, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why FS can't understand this, and just re-implement it already. You already know how to do it, and likely have the code stashed somewhere from P:HOF.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
TPA is a true simulation. More realism, like IRL. :p > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJsNX8LwvM0&t=45m20s

Hahahaha. Yeah, well of course I have the same issue with my real pin. We call it giving someone "the sweaty table" lol ;)

I just can't for the life of me figure out why this is such an issue with TPA. I'm also rather surprised that Sony hasn't put into place stricter requirements for multiplayer games to include mandatory multiple controller capabilities. It's really kind of comical, I own 4 controllers, all I really play these days on my PS3 is TPA, and they are utterly useless.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Hey Spoonman,

For some reason I was thinking everyone was talking about the Sound Settings, regarding the XMB music player is not one of the features we implemented.

Thanks for the answer.
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed to hear that it's still not being implemented.
A programmer friend of mine who has worked on PS3 games has said the implementation of this (ability to play background music by hitting the PS Home button and choosing a song) is literally as easy as adding 1 line of code. "XMB music = true"... ok maybe not that exact line, but you know what I mean...

I also find it strange that we can't play multiplayer without passing a single controller around. It's always pretty awkward when playing among 4 people who aren't sitting right next to each other. When telling them they have to pass the controller when finished, they either laugh or ask if you are serious. That's the response I most often get.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Yeah, and after a 20 minute turn, I'm never too happy to take the sweaty controller my friend was just using...

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
As far as multiple controller support goes, I'm not really that bothered. If there's 2 of you playing then you can both have your own controller (obviously have both of them turned on). When it's the other guy's turn just hold down the PS button and change your controller number to 2. He'll automatically change to controller 1 and won't have to deal with any DualShock clamminess. Problem solved! :D

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'd imagine that the lack of multiple controller support stems back again to an inability to detect what the ROM is doing. The original machine obviously didn't have multiple controller support, so that kind of signal is nowhere in the code. It's someting FS would have to interpret from the DMD or something. I don't see it as a huge loss - just pass the controller. Also I have no pinball friends so have never played a multiplayer game in my life... :'(

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Quick question Flippy, is the gif I created below (obviously of the Android version) the direction you are going with the clean-up of the cutouts on Black Knight? If so, I believe the previous look of the cutouts were closer to what they look like on the real table. They just needed to be cleaned up a bit. Please check the Black Knight table you guys have onsite for reference. I really hope you have time to take another pass on the cutouts before submission.

BlackKnightNormal-High_zpsb57357ed.gif

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I'd imagine that the lack of multiple controller support stems back again to an inability to detect what the ROM is doing. The original machine obviously didn't have multiple controller support, so that kind of signal is nowhere in the code. It's someting FS would have to interpret from the DMD or something. I don't see it as a huge loss - just pass the controller. Also I have no pinball friends so have never played a multiplayer game in my life... :'(

Please. The game already has a screen that pops up to tell you that it is player two's turn or player three, etc. And the original machines certainly knew whose turn it was. That's how it would know to put the points on the next player's total, indicate whose turn it was and in cases like Black Knight to give the winning player their bonus turn.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
So now were nitpicking about multiple controller support as if multiplayer is a major issue like all the game breaking bugs.

We. Can't. Win.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
FS will probably say it adds to the realism; on any real pin, you share the same controller, even on a 4 player game (gulp)!

Besides that tongue-in-cheek remark, let's get those tables and the update mechanism fixed first, as much as possible, then add "nice to have" features later. For instance, I arranged for some background music while playing by having my mp3 player connect to a pair of speakers. Before that, I'd prefer to have the possibility to crank up the "mechanical" gameplay sounds a bit vs. the "electronically generated" sounds... just need a REAL sample for the KNOCK! special awarded sound.

xRauLx77

Jul 9, 2013
FS will probably say it adds to the realism; on any real pin, you share the same controller, even on a 4 player game (gulp)!

Besides that tongue-in-cheek remark, let's get those tables and the update mechanism fixed first, as much as possible, then add "nice to have" features later. For instance, I arranged for some background music while playing by having my mp3 player connect to a pair of speakers. Before that, I'd prefer to have the possibility to crank up the "mechanical" gameplay sounds a bit vs. the "electronically generated" sounds... just need a REAL sample for the KNOCK! special awarded sound.

THIS!

Like PAPA videos, where you can hear only the flippers and balls rolling, oh man that sounds so amazing...

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Quick question Flippy, is the gif I created below (obviously of the Android version) the direction you are going with the clean-up of the cutouts on Black Knight? If so, I believe the previous look of the cutouts were closer to what they look like on the real table. They just needed to be cleaned up a bit. Please check the Black Knight table you guys have onsite for reference. I really hope you have time to take another pass on the cutouts before submission.

BlackKnightNormal-High_zpsb57357ed.gif

Heres a screen shot with some lamps lit. I put arrows in to point out where the changes were made. BK is still up for review on more changes in the future.

View attachment 117

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Hey FlippyFloppy could ya check into one more thing?
Back in patch 2.05, I believe released mid Nov 2012 something a bit odd happened to the plunge across all tables on the PS3.
I first mentioned it in the bug thread here
and it kind of spawned it's own thread due to the amount of replies here

My initial comment was
"Bug description:Weak plungers, most noticeable on the Taxi skillshot and No Good Gofers.
Taxi doesn't have enough power to even reach the 100 anymore.
Gofers doesn't have enough power to make it up the blue ramp to set up a hole in one shot off the plunger.

Steps to reproduce:Every plunger shot

Additional Comments: Seems all the tables have had their plungers weakened, the balls seem like they aren't quite hitting where they used to or should on a full plunge.
Tried 2 controllers and a PS3 reset and the issue remains."

Across the whole game plunger shots are weaker than Android. On Taxi you can only make it up to the 75 on a full pull and release and on droid its 100 (Also if ya do manage to get it fixed could you up the power so it goes past 100 on a full pull?) And Scared Stiff on PS3 gets you the skill shot every time on a full pull which on Droid a full pull will be too much power. Gofers is another problem table on PS3 off the top of my head but at least you can do a quick snap make it up the blue ramp.

I'm assuming it was a "glitch" based on the post I made in the second thread. Quoted here for ease.
"Right now in taxi after playing around with it a bit the plunger is back to pre-patch strength. I can pull it back all the way, wait a moment and release and nail the 100 every time again (Not saying that is a good thing, I think it needs more power on Taxi). If I leave the table and go back it's weaker for a bit. Not sure what it is that triggers it but it will go back to the more poppy plunger.
So the new plunger strength is a glitch or the old strength coming back is a glitch... there is a glitch somewhere in there!

Made a quick video. After about 5 minutes of playing it went back to the pre-patch strength. Started the video launched a few balls both were powerful enough to at least make it to 100. Went out of Taxi and back in and it was back to 75 strength on the same pull."

With video included. Very old but the issue is the same.

Last edited:

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
The plungers is definitely something that has been tweaked between versions. In the PS4 version of Scared Stiff, for example, a full plunge doesn't get you the skill shot every time like on PS3. I kinda miss that :)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Heres a screen shot with some lamps lit. I put arrows in to point out where the changes were made. BK is still up for review on more changes in the future.

View attachment 117

Yes, that's what I was trying to point out. The changes you've made so far look much better, but they don't represent the visual presentation of the cutouts on the real table. Would it be possible for you to check the Black Knight table you guys have and possibly take another pass on the cutouts?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts