timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
That's a good point. For instance, I have a digital camcorder that I paid around $450 for back in 2005 and it's still fairly nice quality, but it simply will not work on anything beyond XP due to the manufacturer never putting out new drivers.

For something like that I'd go looking for a dirt cheap second hand/refurbished laptop or netbook with XP on it, and upgrade my main machine. If all you need is something that can handle the drivers so you can pull files off, it doesn't need to be that powerful.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
... But you can set up virtual machines pretty easy and for free. Just clone your old xp system and run it under win 7 8 10

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
... But you can set up virtual machines pretty easy and for free. Just clone your old xp system and run it under win 7 8 10

Legacy hardware drivers usually won't work with virtual machines.

Of course, what EldarOfSuburbia suggested is exactly what you do with these... you keep an old PC around just for this purpose. XP shouldn't be on your main machine, you don't want an XP machine on the Internet. :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Also you can't virtualize hardware, so if there are things like USB1.1 or other bits of kit that you need attached to your PC, having physical hardware is a distinct advantage.

I "only" upgraded from XP to Win 7 here at work 2 years ago. This despite working for a company that sells wholesale Win 7 licenses and has been doing so since launch in October 2009! We still have a Server 2000 box somewhere, though I think it has been retired, and there are definitely working boxes running Server 2003 (essentially XP), which is being retired next year.

Businesses are strange places, and the bigger the business, the stranger they get. Hardware and software get lost in time. And one day someone comes along, usually new to the company, and says "Holy mackerel, you're still running THAT?!"

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Hi all,

Has anyone have an idea about min/max hardware requirements to run this game for the dx11 version or it's going to be the same as it currently is? I personally am not too worried, just picked up the i3 Alieware Alpha and it currently runs smoothly at 60 fps on max settings.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Maybe it runs even better because dx11 can make more use of current hardware

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
For something like that I'd go looking for a dirt cheap second hand/refurbished laptop or netbook with XP on it, and upgrade my main machine. If all you need is something that can handle the drivers so you can pull files off, it doesn't need to be that powerful.

Yeah, thankfully the old laptop that I use for my arcade cab still has XP, so it serves multiple purposes. :)

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Getting more anxious my the minute. Holding off buying any more tables on Steam till Addams and PC is caught up. I assume Farsight would want directx 11 support on time for Addams Family's release. Any later and us loyal fans will have bigger complaints.

February will a be glorious month. Merry Christmas all!

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Anyone have any hope of DX11 releasing as a Xmas surprise??? my gut says late Jan/early Feb before TAF.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Anyone have any hope of DX11 releasing as a Xmas surprise??? my gut says late Jan/early Feb before TAF.

Note that this is the only platform that is transitioning to the higher graphics while maintaining backwards compatibility. Ps3 and Xbox 360 are staying the put sort of speak. Not sure if this is effecting development and having two sets of resources for tables and art, etc.

It's gonna be a very interesting these next few months. If I am wrong in any of this do please share :p

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Mike from FS does some teasing from time to time and after all the other stuff they had to do this year is finally over it sounds like it could be done soon. Soon, a word that makes my intestines cringe.
The lighting update was promised / advertised a year ago and made me buy the season pro passes for 1-3 before I even played 3 full games.
Talk about naive and false advertising. I will wait if they pull it off with TAF - and if not I am done here. God thing is it drove me over to really set up VP. Tables made for the dx9 physics version are just outstanding and are getting better and better.
For all the mobile players or consoleros out there TPA it is still the best real pinball sim out there, but on the PC I'm afraid FS missed their chance.

Last edited:

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Mike from FS does some teasing from time to time and after all the other stuff they had to do this year is finally over it sounds like it could be done soon. Soon, a word that makes my intestines cringe.
The lighting update was promised / advertised a year ago and made me buy the season pro passes for 1-3 before I even played 3 full games.
Talk about naive and false advertising. I will wait if they pull it off with TAF - and if not I am done here. God thing is it drove me over to really set up VP. Tables made for the dx9 physics version are just outstanding and are getting better and better.
For all the mobile players or consoleros out there TPA it is still the best real pinball sim out there, but on the PC I'm afraid FS missed their chance.

You made a better investment decision. Waiting is never fun though.

I bought season 1 on Android, PS3, and used my PS4 $15 discount offer (sold my ps4), and this month on Steam for $20 for Pro.
Pledged $100 for TZ and $50 for ST.

I am no longer playing on consolese, all for hoping that PC is going to become the better platform choice in the end. I am happy to say that I can always go to my xbox and dazzle at the new lighting, etc.

Farsight! Don't you go scrapping the PC on us! :)

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
You made a better investment decision. Waiting is never fun though.

I bought season 1 on Android, PS3, and used my PS4 $15 discount offer (sold my ps4), and this month on Steam for $20 for Pro.
Pledged $100 for TZ and $50 for ST.

I am no longer playing on consolese, all for hoping that PC is going to become the better platform choice in the end. I am happy to say that I can always go to my xbox and dazzle at the new lighting, etc.

Farsight! Don't you go scrapping the PC on us! :)

IMO, PC is already the better platform choice, and I don't believe FarSight is going to scrap it. Even though FarSight continually fails to deliver on promises (PAD, rom emulation, DX11, cab support, Xbox 360 version, Playstation bug-fixes, and so on, and so on, and so on), they at least are keeping the tables current and can correct bugs on the PC version more quickly than they can with consoles.

Here's to the hope that DX11 support will be coming this year. On the other hand, weren't we saying that last year at this time?

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I really hope the PC DX11 version has a really dark mode like shown here in CV on the PS4.
http://youtu.be/b1VJet7utTk

Look around the 3.05 mark in particular.

It looks tremendous.
I just have a feeling they will go lighter than this as some people moaned about the ball visibility. If that happens hopefully they can add a super dark mode maybe as part of the pro edition.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah nice.
I really hope they give the PC the adjustability it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts