“Pro” Cabinet Mode?

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
So, this is something I’ve been thinking about for a while now. It seems to me(biased, probably, since I’m in this group), that there are a lot of cabinet users and Zen has largely ignored us since the introduction of their basic cabinet mode ages ago. I’m not sure what we as cab users need to do to get their attention back on us, and I get that the license is still fairly new so they’re focused on that. That being said, how would people feel about a paid, upgraded cabinet mode that would integrate the kind of features we all want? Something to incentivize Zen to put some work into it, and it wouldn’t need to be exorbitantly expensive for them to profit off it(definitely not arcooda expensive, blech).

Just curious what everyone thinks about this, it would definitely be worth it to me, personally. I played a lot of VPX, and while I appreciate all the hard work people put into it, I personally get more enjoyment out of the Zen recreations. I’m more than happy to put the money into it, same with licensed table recreations, they could sell them individually for $10-$25 and I’d happily pay it.

Thoughts?

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
So, this is something I’ve been thinking about for a while now. It seems to me(biased, probably, since I’m in this group), that there are a lot of cabinet users and Zen has largely ignored us since the introduction of their basic cabinet mode ages ago. I’m not sure what we as cab users need to do to get their attention back on us, and I get that the license is still fairly new so they’re focused on that. That being said, how would people feel about a paid, upgraded cabinet mode that would integrate the kind of features we all want? Something to incentivize Zen to put some work into it, and it wouldn’t need to be exorbitantly expensive for them to profit off it(definitely not arcooda expensive, blech).

Just curious what everyone thinks about this, it would definitely be worth it to me, personally. I played a lot of VPX, and while I appreciate all the hard work people put into it, I personally get more enjoyment out of the Zen recreations. I’m more than happy to put the money into it, same with licensed table recreations, they could sell them individually for $10-$25 and I’d happily pay it.

Thoughts?

Zen already makes a "pro" cabinet.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
You know Zen allready have their own cabs aswell? Fully functional with even extra screens on the side of the cabinet. So they allready have the software but they dont want you to have it.

They got their own cabs wich they want to sell and make money off. So people get an options to use fx3 in their own cabs but they are nothing making it easy to get it to work great.

Last edited:

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
Yes, I’m aware of their cabs, but let’s be honest, they know as well as we do that most of us will never buy them. We want to build our own cabs, some of us want to buy from virtuapin, etc. They must see the potential for selling us a better version of just the cab software. Anyone know how many of those Arcooda licenses were sold for TPA? I bet it was a lot, and they were overpriced.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Yes, I’m aware of their cabs, but let’s be honest, they know as well as we do that most of us will never buy them. We want to build our own cabs, some of us want to buy from virtuapin, etc. They must see the potential for selling us a better version of just the cab software. Anyone know how many of those Arcooda licenses were sold for TPA? I bet it was a lot, and they were overpriced.

Arcooda sales were in the dozens. The last gasp Steam license thing might of hit 100 sales. Plus, the Arcooda cab was never released and Farsight seems to have distanced themselves from everything pinball and is now focused on Bowling.

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
Well, my point is, they were selling an inferior product that most of us in the community had already abandoned, at a silly price. I’d say the community as a whole is much happier with Zen(other than the few that think they’ve slowed the physics down too much, post-vol 4), so I think if they sold a cabinet mode upgrade for those of us that really want it for like $20, most of us would jump at it. They don’t even need to develop it. They’ve already done that.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Well, my point is, they were selling an inferior product that most of us in the community had already abandoned, at a silly price. I’d say the community as a whole is much happier with Zen(other than the few that think they’ve slowed the physics down too much, post-vol 4), so I think if they sold a cabinet mode upgrade for those of us that really want it for like $20, most of us would jump at it. They don’t even need to develop it. They’ve already done that.

$20 to get upgraded options and camera angles, and with that, the inevitable support of myriad third-party hardware? I don't think you are making a case for Zen to do this.

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
That isn’t how software support works.

EDIT: Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk here, but adding some simple features like better lighting control, camera customization, etc. is NOT the massive undertaking a lot of forum members seem to think it is. I’m no expert, but I have some coding experience, and I’m just saying, when you have an existing platform that already works, adding those simple features would not be that hard at all.

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
That isn’t how software support works.

Wait, if I sell a cabinet addon that is specific for third-party cabinet use, I don't need to provide support for the addon I sold you? Interesting... I guess you think software support only extends to the download and/or packaging part of the equation, not how it interacts with the hardware it is installed on and utilizing. :rolleyes:

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
See my edited post. Those features are not remotely hardware specific. Ask NoEX.

EDIT: Some people seem to think they’d have to like, build every combination of every piece of hardware ever made and test with it to make this work. Again, not how programming works.

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
See my edited post. Those features are not remotely hardware specific. Ask NoEX.

Does NoEX sell the product? Nope. Does he still get tasked with various and specific support issues regarding different hardware? Yes. As you say yourself, you are no expert, so you may want to stop assuming things like you are one. And in this case, it has little (or nothing) to do with coding, but business.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
EDIT: Some people seem to think they’d have to like, build every combination of every piece of hardware ever made and test with it to make this work. Again, not how programming works.

To sell a product and have it certified, that is literally how it works. I know you said "ever made," and while that is hyperbole, Zen would have to test on a good number of platforms and release a list of compatible hardware. You may want to look into the whole driving sim and wheel/pedal support out in the "not free and not fan made" world. It can get overwhelming, and when you don't support some last years version of a wheel, all hell breaks loose on the forums. There is no good outcome for Zen at your proposed pricing expectations.

Last edited:

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
But you are ok in assuming? Checked some of your other posts. You’re clearly one of the guys who dare not critique Zen for some reason. Don’t get me wrong, I like FX3 a lot, I love it in fact. But acting like NOTHING CAN BE IMPROVED is just plain stupid. People like you are the reason I stopped posting on forums years ago. You’re so contrarian and stubborn about everything instead of maybe realizing people have opinions, and are allowed to give a company that they are paying to support input about said opinions. And if Zen is smart, and wants to keep making money, they’d better listen. Good luck in whatever it is you do in life.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
But you are ok in assuming? Checked some of your other posts. You’re clearly one of the guys who dare not critique Zen for some reason. Don’t get me wrong, I like FX3 a lot, I love it in fact. But acting like NOTHING CAN BE IMPROVED is just plain stupid. People like you are the reason I stopped posting on forums years ago. You’re so contrarian and stubborn about everything instead of maybe realizing people have opinions, and are allowed to give a company that they are paying to support input about said opinions. And if Zen is smart, and wants to keep making money, they’d better listen. Good luck in whatever it is you do in life.

This must be a joke. I have thought (and posted mainly elsewhere) Zen as a whole has sucked for more years than not. I'm a realist (and a business person).

Captaincroutons

Sep 9, 2017
Link? Care to share something you’ve developed? Developing a steam game doesn’t require you test on every piece of windows compatible hardware.

EDIT: your recent posts show otherwise, god forbid someone disagree with you about the physics.

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Link? Care to share something you’ve developed? Developing a steam game doesn’t require you test on every piece of windows compatible hardware.

I have been developing games (and business class software) going back to my namesake hardware. Zen isn't a "Steam Greenlight" type studio. They are real developer and publisher.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.