A new app on the way from Stern and Farsight

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I wonder if this means Stern will start protecting its property from being reproduced via VP and FP?

I guess they could crack down to some extent however there will always be an underground scene to get tables. I mean we can already play Star Trek 2011 table, ACDC, Juicy Melons, etc. These tables aren't available on VPF but they are around now and always will be.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I wonder if this means Stern will start protecting its property from being reproduced via VP and FP?

Will they come out before the actual pin, or after? Will they wait for finished code?

How much will they cost?

The month that a Stern pin is released, will there still be a TPA release that month?

So many questions.

Maybe they can double up and finally put out Sorcerer one of those months!

invitro

May 4, 2012
Like Zaccaria Pinball, if it isn't released on a console, I don't care.
And I probably care only if it's on PC. Or XBox360, since I have one somewhere. If enough stuff comes out on tiny-screen devices, I might start looking for a textbook to Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Mobile.

But it would probably be financial suicide to not release on console.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
OMG YES. Let me just say I'm really excited for this. I've been playing a lot of Stern tables on location recently and I can't wait to be able to play them on the go! :D

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
That's enough material for a whole episode of the Blahcade podcast. Make it happen :)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I can't wait for this. I wonder how far back it goes...not just to determine what tables are released for the new app but also which ones are still games that could be included with the original TPA app. I'm guessing it will not cover vault editions or rereleases like Tron or Iron Man but I would love to be completely wrong. I would think everything Metallica forward would probably be up for inclusion (Except the Legends version of the WWE table that has Hulk Hogan on it).

Speaking of multiple versions, I wonder how they will handle the various editions...Can you buy skins for the Premium and Limited editions for the backglass/cabinet? What about the toppers and other items that Stern offers as aftermarket but currently are frowned upon in TPA? Does the standard table you purchase come based off of the Pro version or do you get the enhanced Premium version and will there be an option to upgrade it or do you have it switchable?

I'd pay at least $10 per table and probably more like 20-25 if they put out certain tables. I definitely loved the new Kiss table and am a big fan of Mustang and Metallica. AC/DC and Tron seem like a pipe dream but if they came out that would be incredible.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
And I probably care only if it's on PC. Or XBox360, since I have one somewhere. If enough stuff comes out on tiny-screen devices, I might start looking for a textbook to Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Mobile.

But it would probably be financial suicide to not release on console.

Yeah, PS4 and One releases are almost certain, otherwise it would be very surprising. I don't see why it won't be released on PC too.

What worries me, it's PS3/360 case. :(

invitro

May 4, 2012
I wonder how far back it goes...not just to determine what tables are released for the new app but also which ones are still games that could be included with the original TPA app. I'm guessing it will not cover vault editions or rereleases like Tron or Iron Man but I would love to be completely wrong. I would think everything Metallica forward would probably be up for inclusion (Except the Legends version of the WWE table that has Hulk Hogan on it).
Well... let's think about what Farsight gets from this. First is, I'm assuming, big license support. There's actually nothing at all in the announcement that Farsight didn't already have... they could've released AC/DC any time if they had the license, and the code to emulate SAM/Spike/whatever. Farsight still needs to make the emulation code, but maybe this deal means a Stern programmer will help or support the Farsight programmers. So second is, I'm guessing, programming support from Stern.

Third is being able to release SAM/Spike tables without having to do them for low-powered devices. They could already have done that, but maybe because it's a "new app" (it's probably just an identical clone of TPA, with the SAM/Spike programming), people on those devices won't get as angry :).

Anyway, I'd say which tables are released will still come down to what it always has: cost of the table licenses, and cost of the emulation code. I'll bet there will still be no Disney-licensed tables, but there may be Wheel of Fortune, Big Buck Hunter Pro, Terminator 3 early, maybe TSPP, and when Spike is emulated, well I don't remember exactly when Spike started, but surely Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

I really hope the big rock music tables happen but they still seem unlikely to me, especially with a bunch of lesser-license tables now probably more likely.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
As mentioned before Stern holds / manages the licenses. So there shouldn't be an issue with this.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Well... let's think about what Farsight gets from this. First is, I'm assuming, big license support. There's actually nothing at all in the announcement that Farsight didn't already have... they could've released AC/DC any time if they had the license, and the code to emulate SAM/Spike/whatever. Farsight still needs to make the emulation code, but maybe this deal means a Stern programmer will help or support the Farsight programmers. So second is, I'm guessing, programming support from Stern.

Third is being able to release SAM/Spike tables without having to do them for low-powered devices. They could already have done that, but maybe because it's a "new app" (it's probably just an identical clone of TPA, with the SAM/Spike programming), people on those devices won't get as angry :).

Anyway, I'd say which tables are released will still come down to what it always has: cost of the table licenses, and cost of the emulation code. I'll bet there will still be no Disney-licensed tables, but there may be Wheel of Fortune, Big Buck Hunter Pro, Terminator 3 early, maybe TSPP, and when Spike is emulated, well I don't remember exactly when Spike started, but surely Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

I really hope the big rock music tables happen but they still seem unlikely to me, especially with a bunch of lesser-license tables now probably more likely.

True, they could always release the tables but I would assume that there is a clause built in to newer tables so nobody has to pony up anything or renegotiate which is why I can't imagine any Disney tables would be included since all of the came out prior to this being a realistic pursuit. My guess is they would have had something around the time of Metallica so any table released from that point on probably has some digital recreation section of the contract with the license holder(s) to circumvent having to go back to the bargaining tables.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
That's really good news indeed !
So many questions, I can't wait to have further informations from FS and/or Stern.
I just really hope Farsight will be able to handle this additional work.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Wow, cool news :) I played an Avenger the other day, and it seemed like a pretty sweet table even though I didn't know the rules. AC/DC was fun too! I hope the new app has much reduced nudging and more realistic ball behaviour.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I guess Farsight can start setting up their next 50 Kickstarter pages now.

That's the whole point of this partnership: FS won't need Kickstarters, because the rights to create a digital version of physical tables will be baked into the licensing agreements signed by Stern when they build the physical tables.

Stern are going to be contracting out the digitizing of the tables to FS, under Stern's license.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Hopefully this means what I think it means. From Stern's Facebook page:

David Vanhoutteghem Pc version? Great news,. As long as you keep making real machines too smile emoticon
5 hrs · Edited

Stern Pinball Don't worry David! Big plans ahead!
3 · 5 hrs

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.