A Theory

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I am not tech-savvy in any way so, please, keep that in mind.

I know that this game has its bugs. Most are no big deal. Restart the game and move on.
No problem.

The bug that gets me irked? Through the flipper BS.

I used to have this problem on Ripley and Theater but, after concentrating on these tables, I have seen the problem diminish over time.
It's non-existent on Ripley.

Can my PS3 (or other devices) grow accustomed to the code running through it?

I know about the lost ball problem as well but, recently I've seen random balls pop out of the launcher on seemingly lost ball situations.

Again my question stands.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
My guess is that you (subconsciously maybe) grew accustomed to the bug and changed your style of play accordingly. There is no way for any device to change its behaviour while running code as long as that code isn't changed. That would imply artificial intelligence, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
No your PS3 won't adjust to the code.

The through the flipper bug happens in panicy situations, when the ball comes screaming down from a wrong shot and mostly happens when you attempt a death slap when it bounces of the tip of one flipper and you flip the other quickly in an attmept to save it. Both the ball and the flipper move at it's fastest towards another and the calculations needed for a collision detection don't keep up...at the calculation step before the collison the ball is very near the moving flipper (but not touching it), while in the next calculation step the bal has moved lower and the flipper higher, and the game didnt detect a collision. The only way to prevent this is to introduce more calculation steps per second so the increments between steps is shorter and this won't happen anymore (because there is a limitation to both ballspeed and flippermovement.

This isn't an answer top your question though, or a solution to your conundrum. But if you play a table a LOT and you get to know it's paths, the bounces, the risks, where to nudge and how hard....these kind of panicky situations happen far less and your actions become much more deliberate, thought out. When a bal comes screaming down from a brick shot, you chose not to flip in the hope of a save for instance but, knowing that the risky bounce of a certain post could happen you were prepared to nudge and simply bounce pass.

It's also why you hear about this issue a LOT more when tables just get released as opposed to when they have been out for a while.

My guess is that you (subconsciously maybe) grew accustomed to the bug and changed your style of play accordingly.
I think it's more matter of adjusting to the table to prevent uncontrolled situations, which happen to be those situations wherein the bug mostly occurs.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Can my PS3 (or other devices) grow accustomed to the code running through it?

My CPU is a neural net processor;
a learning computer.

C3qWP.jpg

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
This isn't an answer top your question though, or a solution to your conundrum. But if you play a table a LOT and you get to know it's paths, the bounces, the risks, where to nudge and how hard....these kind of panicky situations happen far less and your actions become much more deliberate, thought out. When a bal comes screaming down from a brick shot, you chose not to flip in the hope of a save for instance but, knowing that the risky bounce of a certain post could happen you were prepared to nudge and simply bounce pass.

Wise words. I think you're absolutely on the money here mate. I used to get the ball-through-the-flipper all the time on MM, until I stepped back, took a breath and changed my playing accordingly. It's not ideal to have to do that, but then again, isn't that a part of understanding ANY table, flawed or not ? Using techniques like bounce passes and well timed nudging really makes a massive difference. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of times when the air turns blue, esp if I'm on a good ball, when it will happen, but as Squid said, me and my PS3 are learning to live WITH the nuances rather than fight them.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.