(An attempt at) The top 40 TPA players from leaderboard scores

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Hmm, ok. I play on PC which doesn't have the HOF goals so was going from memory.

I remember chasing 27M on Taxi for some reason but now can't remember why. Replay is much lower than that and there isn't any score wizard goal, right?

Correct. I have 28M myself and 700 HoF-points.

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
I guess I approve of this ranking system. :) Although I'm on top from quantity as much as quality, I've taken the time on every single table to push into a decent leaderboard spot, except season 3 and MM. Some of the unpopular ones like Victory and El Dorado I had my #1 spot in just one day of playing.

Yeah the Ripley's leaderboard is total garbage. All those just-over-10B or 20B scores must have been registered by fooling or hacking TPA's rollover detection into giving credit for the ten-billions digit.

Nice work! How'd you do it, just scrape the output from pinballarcade's pages and do some spreadsheet crunching?

Mad skills! Very nice!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Impressive that this level of effort is being put forth. I like it!

I know the leader board for RBION keeps being brought up, but allow me to point the finger at Black Hole. I scrolled through the top 5000 scores, and there was not a single score from PS3 or PC in there. Tell me that's not hinky. Also in regards to RBION, I'm not positive on what score Squid has currently, but know that it is legit should it happen to be one of those 10 billion scores.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Impressive that this level of effort is being put forth. I like it!

I know the leader board for RBION keeps being brought up, but allow me to point the finger at Black Hole. I scrolled through the top 5000 scores, and there was not a single score from PS3 or PC in there. Tell me that's not hinky. Also in regards to RBION, I'm not positive on what score Squid has currently, but know that it is legit should it happen to be one of those 10 billion scores.

Squid is ruling RBiON with 34.9B.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Squid is ruling RBiON with 34.9B.

Yeah, if Ripley's was a cult i'd be the leader (reluctantly). I just set odd goals for myself and somehow achieve 'em.
My current goal is to get 255 Ripley letters. (it seems that a lot of bonuses and such throughout pinball seem to be capped at 255)
It doesn't hurt that I have a surefire method of avoiding the lost ball glitch.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
allow me to point the finger at Black Hole. I scrolled through the top 5000 scores, and there was not a single score from PS3 or PC in there. Tell me that's not hinky.
Well, something's wrong with that data, since I'm on the PC version and in the top 10 on Black Hole with 30M.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'm grabbing the top 2000 because a player who is, say, 500th in all 44 tables would wind up ranked about 30th overall. Scraping only the top 100 scores ignores a strong-but-not-top-level player.

That is me. I have a whole bunch of scores between #100 and #200 on the leaderboards.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Well, something's wrong with that data, since I'm on the PC version and in the top 10 on Black Hole with 30M.

PS3 leaderboard for Black Hole has been screwed up for a long time. It shows the PS3 scores for Black Hole just fine when lookin gusing a PS3, but they end up being way down the list because most of the scores it shows for mobiles were apparently from ToM. If looking at the list from Android I don't see my 8+ million PS3 score in the list like I do from the PS3, but I also don't see all of the bogus scores in the billions.

There was a glitch at one point I guess and it was never cleaned up for the PS3. Its possible the same thing has happened to PC.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

Top score according to PS3 leaderboard...

16,170,849,460 (mobile)
100th place is 4,778,852,780
5000th place is 463,897,840

There are a handful of OSX scores scattered, but otherwise these are all labeled as 'mobile'.

Not until 6931st place do I finally come across a PSN score of 36,565,040 by Jpelter, who won the first PSN tourney. The next score for a PS3 player is 19,441,330 in 6955th place. So I thought PC scores were on this leaderboard but I'm obviously mistaken. Even still, that means your 30 million score would put you around 6940 when compared to all scores.

Like I said, the Black Hole scores are very hunky.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012

16,170,849,460 (mobile)

There are a handful of OSX scores scattered, but otherwise these are all labeled as 'mobile'.

Not until 6931st place do I finally come across a PSN score of 36,565,040 by Jpelter, who won the first PSN tourney. The next score for a PS3 player is 19,441,330 in 6955th place. So I thought PC scores were on this leaderboard but I'm obviously mistaken. Even still, that means your 30 million score would put you around 6940 when compared to all scores.

Black Hole and Theatre of Magic scores were going to each other's leaderboards early on in TPA's life. What you're seeing are erroneous ToM scores.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Does the PS3 have its own leaderboard? I thought Xbox was the only platform with its own leaderboard? You're saying the leaderboard on the PS3 looks different from the website leaderboard at www.pinballarcade.com/Leaderboards ? I am confused, and I would like to understand what's going on here.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the leaderboard on my PC version looks exactly like that website one.

FWIW, I just put up 27.2M on Black Hole for around #13. Could not beat vikingerik.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
PS3 does not have its own leaderboards. I was saying that I was looking up the leaderboard that is visible on my PS3. We see mobile, OSX, and PS3 scores. I don't know if we see Vita scores off the top of my head.

And fine, ToM scores and Black Hole scores got mixed...like 2 years ago? And yet they've never been fixed while being obviously wrong.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
And fine, ToM scores and Black Hole scores got mixed...like 2 years ago? And yet they've never been fixed while being obviously wrong.
The bug that swaps the scores has been fixed, but the previous wrong entries were never corrected to the best of my knowledge.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Yeah, if Ripley's was a cult i'd be the leader (reluctantly). I just set odd goals for myself and somehow achieve 'em.
My current goal is to get 255 Ripley letters. (it seems that a lot of bonuses and such throughout pinball seem to be capped at 255)

Please share that method, hate when it happens!

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012

16,170,849,460 (mobile)

Yeah I remember when the ToM scores got mixed in and dunked my score down into wherever. The annoying thing is that FS sanitized my score along with all the mobile ones out of the website leaderboards. Oh well, it's pretty easily attainable now with the gate change anyway, just takes a lot of grinding.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012

Hi Squid,
This 255 does seem similar to a hexadecimal limit of "FF", a frequently occurring maximal value in older computer software. Including 00 it has a range of 256 which is 2 to the power of 8, bringing it back to the basic binary system. I fondly remember hacking older games to try to find the machine code for storing "lives", it was a blast to find that code and change it to "FF", giving me 250+ extra tries.... :) So I wouldn't be surprised if 255 would also be the limit that (older) pinball machines can handle within the ROM.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Hi Squid,
This 255 does seem similar to a hexadecimal limit of "FF", a frequently occurring maximal value in older computer software. Including 00 it has a range of 256 which is 2 to the power of 8, bringing it back to the basic binary system. I fondly remember hacking older games to try to find the machine code for storing "lives", it was a blast to find that code and change it to "FF", giving me 250+ extra tries.... :) So I wouldn't be surprised if 255 would also be the limit that (older) pinball machines can handle within the ROM.

What does a killscreen look like on a pinball machine? :p

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Hi Squid,

Where's our forum member named Byte? I feel like it should have been him answering this question..

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts