Request Any chances to see more Stern tables in TPA?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Unlike a video game, pinball by its very nature can't have in game difficulty adjustment. Video games today have AI that can adjust to your playing level, on top of having patterns you can recognize and exploit. On a real machine, the only adjustment a table could make would be to have a ball save. Patterns of ball movement, unlike in TPA, are subject to real world physics that simply don't lend themselves to repeatable patterns. Any changes made to the physical play field to increase or decrease difficulty affects ALL players, not just the one currently playing.

This is what I love about pinball. You have the exact same chances of what the ball is going to do as the next guy. There is no handicapping, no 'rubber banding' like in some racing game, and no AI to exploit. It's you, the ball, the flippers, and your nudging know how. Sure there are exploitable shots and jackpots, but knowing is only half the battle. I've played with amazing pinball players where we both knew the shots. I've seen them get extremely frustrated when for some reason the ball won't go their way, while I seem to put together an improbable run and beat them. More often I see them school me on why they are the player they are, but that's beside the point!

I think there are a couple of factors that make pinball intimidating to a beginner. 1) is the short play time, 2) is it has it's own language to scoring, where things stack and jackpots have hurry ups, 3) your eyes cannot take in everything that is happening at the same time, and 4) it is its own genre and can't be 100% translated to the digital realm, and it is a genre unlike any other by a country mile.

Interestingly enough, I have a theory as to why pinball IS connecting with the younger generation today. For kids growing up in the 2000's, arcades by and large have been dominated by redemption games. These are mostly mechanical games with physically moving parts. There is a high degree of luck involved, but skill does play a factor. As these kids grow up, the pinball machine isn't this odd item completely foreign to a video game, but very much having attributes of these redemption games. So I believe it may be striking a nostalgia tick of a different kind, only a game of pinball lasts MUCH longer than any play on a redemption game (which is over usually within 5-10 seconds of dropping a token).

Anyway, that's my theory.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Interestingly enough, I have a theory as to why pinball IS connecting with the younger generation today. For kids growing up in the 2000's, arcades by and large have been dominated by redemption games. These are mostly mechanical games with physically moving parts. There is a high degree of luck involved, but skill does play a factor. As these kids grow up, the pinball machine isn't this odd item completely foreign to a video game, but very much having attributes of these redemption games. So I believe it may be striking a nostalgia tick of a different kind, only a game of pinball lasts MUCH longer than any play on a redemption game (which is over usually within 5-10 seconds of dropping a token).

Anyway, that's my theory.

Very interesting assessment. I would totally agree with you based on what I understand of the youth players today. One other component that I believe plays a significant role is that many video game players of a younger age are looking for that immediate gratification. Most video games are long term play experiences. While that is counter to the whole concept of quick satisfaction, they basically have a large number of achievements and trophies along the way to string that player along and keep them engaged. Pinball games are usuall over rather quickly but when you do well, regardless of whether you get a long game going or not, there are similar achievements to gratify the player. Multiball being the classic accomplishment that dates back several decades, along with Specials and extra balls. Enhanced scoring was developed as EMs advance but with the evolution of SS tables in the 80's, enhanced scoring modes were integrated, stacked multiball modes and the greatest achievement being wizard modes coming along at the end of the 80's. With DMDs, Pinball 2000 Pepper's ghost effects and now full LCD screens, the achievements can be celebrated visually, often with the actual visuals being the achievement. While many of these advances might seem trivial, they have created a sense of order to give the modern player a nice progression with a build up to an ultimate goal.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts