Barry Oursler in need of help from the pinball community

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Barry is a legendary designer responsible for some of the most influential games ever produced. Recently, both him and his wife have been having major health issues and need help covering treatment costs.

Big names like Steve Ritchie, Pat Lawlor, Dennis Nordman, and many others are reaching out to the pinball community to try to raise donations for Barry.

Pinside links:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-barry-oursler
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/message-from-steve-ritchie-barry-oursler-needs-your-help
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-ourseler

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for posting. Best to him and his wife- he's made some great games and I hope he's able to get the money that he needs.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
not trying to start any weird debbate kver free health care bug i find it shocking that things like this have to happen for even basic treatment

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Heretic: US healthcare can not be understood by us European. Please, all US guys, this is really no offense - really - but we are used to be taken care of, no matter what financial background we have.
Yet I like the way pinball people are dealing with that: raising 10k in no time! :) that's the way it should be! Hope he and his wife get well soon!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
To be fair, the state of US healthcare baffles a considerable number of Americans as well.

But let's keep the focus of this thread on Barry and the fundraising campaign. Hopefully it is successful and Barry and his wife can get the treatments they need.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
To be fair, the state of US healthcare baffles a considerable number of Americans as well.

But let's keep the focus of this thread on Barry and the fundraising campaign. Hopefully it is successful and Barry and his wife can get the treatments they need.

Sure! +1

I was just baffled as well.

Anyway, I planned a charity tournament for Xmas, for a child with cancer. Which under the worst circumstances had to be cancelled.
I just contacted Josh about a charity tournament for Barry at my place, as I'm ready to go. It's already endorsed by IFPA. Fellow Austrian (and all other pinheads of course) will play and donate on 15. Feb - the least I can do for having such enjoyable moments with Barry's creations! :)

Everybody who ever got myst multiball's add-a-ball knows pinball is a thrill and very much an enjoyable addition to your life!

Shoot again! :)

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
It's fascinating seeing some of the names pop up as donors to this cause... Pete Piotrowski (Champion Pub), the Ritchies (both Mark and Steve), Eugene Jarvis, Greg Freres, L.E.D., Brian Dominy (currently working for Heighway), Ed Boon, Lyman, Pat Lawlor, Roger Sharpe, J-Pop... hell of a great community we have here :)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
With all the enjoyment Mr. Oursler has provided, the least anyone can do is give something for his contributions. Even if you don't love his designs, he stood out as a significant designer and had great influence on others. He was truly a master of those highly addictive, high-speed, high-skill early solid state tables and also did a fantastic job of adapting to all the pinball advancements that happened through his career as well as making some of his own innovations. Very underrated. Space Shuttle is the real life table that got me in to pinball and created my obsession. Dr. Who and Dracula are modern classics and Gorgar, Barracora, and Fire have stood up well and are very enjoyable. Hopefully when Who Dunnit comes out, there will be even more appreciation for the man. I would love to see TPA promote a link to donate in the app.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
That would be a great idea, but I think that depends on whether Barry would like to keep this an ongoing thing or just reach the goal and that would suffice. Given the time it takes for app approval etc. it may be too late to do it.

A simple splash screen would obviously be enough, but yeah, dat approval process :(

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013

Amen, brother. Amen. My kidney transplant cost six figures. The anti-rejection medicine can cost thousands of dollars, if not covered under insurance, and must be taken for the rest of your life.And forget about life insurance.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
Yeah, I had a kidney transplant to, I spent 3 years on Dyalisis and hated every minute of it. I gave $50.00 to Barry and his Wife, I wanted to give him a lot more but I'm also low on Cash with Transplant medicine. Thank God I still live at home or I would be under are bridge suffering, Obamacare is a joke, sorry I said it but I had to. That's the only politic thing your getting out of me, he also friended me on Facebook, along with a bunch of other Pinball folks.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I'm glad I can announce the Austrian IFPA Oursler fundraiser tournament is ready to go... ;)

image.jpg

Get well soon Barry!

...I'm soon the proud owner of a space shuttle! Thanks for all the fun your designs gave/give us players!

Members online

Members online