Best(current) Visual Pinball tables?

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Thank you much for the detailed guide!! I will definitely give this a shot and let you know how it went. Much appreciated!

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Has anyone found any tips for using the Xbox controller with VP? It works, but the nudge is kinda funky and I can't use the triggers for the flippers.

On the bright side, I got the AC/DC table to work. Goes without saying that's a great sounding table. Not sure game-wise yet tho.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Has anyone found any tips for using the Xbox controller with VP? It works, but the nudge is kinda funky and I can't use the triggers for the flippers.

On the bright side, I got the AC/DC table to work. Goes without saying that's a great sounding table. Not sure game-wise yet tho.

The nudge is indeed funky. Hairy said he had some luck fine-tuning it tho.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Having some fun with updated Visual Pinball

Been awhile since I've given VP a try, and there's been some nice updates I've found.

For starters, there is a beta of VP10. It's pretty early it seems, but there is a Monster Bash table available (but also pretty beta).

But what I really found nice is it seems many of the newer Stern tables are available (with a slight mod) and from what I've played so far, seem *very* nicely done. They are kinda a pain in the ass to get working, but after overcoming the learning curve, they aren't so bad and worth it. AC/DC, Pirates, Big Buck Hunter, etc.

Lemme know if anyone runs into problems, I can help out since I've already wasted a night learning how to update from the basic VP I was used to years ago.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for posting the way to install VP. I still get befaffled (baffled & befuddled) about the whole process. It's just me not you Jeff. It's sad I can't figure this out. There are all these great EM tables I want to play.

I have hope someday that I will figure this out or meet someone who can do it for me.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I you have teamviewer someone in your timezone could do it for you.
It's 8:45 pm over here.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
It's really not hard if you know your way around windows. It's basically just a matter of installing/updating the software and knowing which folders to put the table and ROM files into. I'd be happy to help you get going.

This may look long, but it's only because I'll be very detailed. It's really only 3 steps: 1.) Install the software 2.) Update your scripts 3.) Download Tables....that's really all there is to it. :cool:

1.) So start by downloading and installing the latest version of VP HERE (after you click the green "download" button and agree to the terms, select the file labled "VPinball991_Full.zip")

Then download and install VPinmame: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2480-vpinmame-sampindmdunity-unified-version/

2.) After installing that, just one final step: you'll need to update your VBS scripts by downloading this. All you need to do is extract that into your Tables folder and overwrite as needed. Unless you changed it in your installation options, it's usually found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball\Tables

3.) Now you're ready to play! See, that was a piece of cake! :D

Just download some tables and roms and you're ready to rock. If you have some specific tables you'd like to try I can link you to the best versions and the ROMs (you have to download ROMs seperately). The trick is to download tables that are made for this version of VP (don't download really old stuff or you'll need to install VP 8 as well...there's plenty of new stuff to keep you busy). So the easiest way to find the right tables is to go to vpforums.org, on the top menu click on Visual Pinball tables, then under "VP 9 Desktop Tables" click on VPM or VP Recreations and then sort the results by most recent.

Tables go into your Tables folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball\Tables

Now if you don't know what ROM you need, but you have the table downloaded and in the proper folder, go ahead open VP, go to File >> Open...then select a table. Then once it's loaded go to Table >> Play...it will tell you what ROM you need to download. You can find the ROMs on VPforums.org as well. You don't need to extract them. Just put the whole zip file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Pinball\VPinMame\roms

Hope this helps. Let know how it goes.

Hey Jeff thanks for your very simplified instructions I was able to get VP working. The official guide was a nightmare and I couldn't get tables working for a variety of different problems after several hours.

Now it's a matter of figuring out what all the different settings are and how I can improve the resolution at the moment.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Just download some tables and roms and you're ready to rock. If you have some specific tables you'd like to try I can link you to the best versions and the ROMs (you have to download ROMs seperately).

I would be interested in this. As I have been going through a lot of the "highest rated" or "most recent" sections I have noticed there is often a bunch of versions for a certain table. I would love a list or whatever of the best ones. So far I have just been looking at tables that aren't in TPA.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
What really makes the difference are the latest physics, called physmod5, which are also integrated into the upcoming vp10.
You just put another exe into the VP folder and run it, and you need specially designed/ modified tables for it. Make sure you use "Unofficial VP Physmod with modified nudging and different registry storage location" version. This and lots of tables for it can be found here. http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/1729-list-of-vp-physmod-tables/

Last edited:

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
What really makes the difference are the latest physics, called physmod5, which are also integrated into the upcoming vp10.
You just put another exe into the VP folder and run it, and you need specially designed/ modified tables for it. Make sure you use "Unofficial VP Physmod with modified nudging and different registry storage location" version. This and lots of tables for it can be found here. http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/1729-list-of-vp-physmod-tables/

Cool. I'll look into it. Thanks!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I can really recommend the latest tables found on this site, especially mystery castle.

Members online

Members online