BlahCade Podcast #11 - Bobby King Interview (TAF Kickstarter)

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Im not sure i entirely agree with what was said about FarSight needing to start to look to licensed tables for season 4, theres still shed loads of tables that dont need a big license to bring to TPA....

Alien Poker
Bad Cats
Big Bang Bar
Cyclone
Comet
Earthshaker
F-14 Tomcat
Fathom
Freddy: Nightmare On Elm Street
Grand Lizard
Jack·Bot
Jurassic Park
Judge Dredd
Medusa
Red & Ted's Road Show
Safe Cracker
Seawitch
Sorcerer
Space Station
Tales From The Crypt
The Getaway
The Party Zone
Trident
TX-Sector
World Cup Soccer
Xenon

Thats approx 2 and a half seasons worth of tables there with out a big licenses in sight, fair enough that list might be missing some big hitters but a sprinkling of Licensed tables will sort that out....but still a solid list never the less

Last edited:

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
They've already stated that they are only interested in creating original tables that could exist in real life and prefer to have an experienced table designer on board.

They've occasionally mentioned partnering with Stern or someone else to co-produce virtual and IRL tables to be released simultaneously. There was no mention of that here, but that would be lovely if they did it with a Sony license, (like, say, Ghostbusters).

I have to say, I was also VERY happy to hear that they haven't given up on trying to get Disney licenses. I'd love to see a tipping point occur where enough licenses start coming into The Pinball Arcade that licensors start reaching out to FarSight instead of the other way around.

Last edited:

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Im not sure i entirely agree with what was said about FarSight needing to start to look to licensed tables for season 4, theres still shed loads of tables that dont need a big license to bring to TPA....

Alien Poker
Bad Cats
Big Bang Bar
Cyclone
Comet
Earthshaker
F-14 Tomcat
Fathom
Grand Lizard
Jack·Bot
Jurassic Park
Judge Dredd
Medusa
Red & Ted's Road Show
Safe Cracker

Seawitch
Sorcerer
Space Station
The Getaway
The Party Zone

Trident
TX-Sector
World Cup Soccer
Xenon

Thats almost 2 and a half seasons worth of tables there with out a big license in sight, fair enough that list might be missing some big hitters but a sprinkling of Licensed tables will sort that out....but still a solid list never the less

The tables in bold are probably locks for Seasons 4 & 5. The rest you listed are either not popular enough, not requested enough, or would need a KS. (Jurassic Park, specifically) Also, BBB would have to be a PAD table, and based on everything they've said about that lately, I don't see it happening any time soon.

I also don't see them ever going back to "Sorcerer", which just saddens me.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
World Cup Soccer would have to be licensed from FIFA, and I can't imagine they wouldn't want their (probably expensive) cut.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
World Cup Soccer would have to be licensed from FIFA, and I can't imagine they wouldn't want their (probably expensive) cut.

FIFA would probably ask for bids, stage an election, then hand the license over to some 13-year-old kid writing iPhone Apps in his Dad's basement, just because his Dad happens to be CEO of a Wall Street firm and makes $100m a year.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013

Alien Poker
Bad Cats
Big Bang Bar
Cyclone
Comet
Earthshaker
F-14 Tomcat
Fathom
Freddy: Nightmare On Elm Street
Grand Lizard
Jack·Bot
Jurassic Park
Judge Dredd
Medusa
Red & Ted's Road Show
Safe Cracker
Seawitch
Sorcerer
Space Station
Tales From The Crypt
The Getaway
The Party Zone
Trident
TX-Sector
World Cup Soccer
Xenon

Thats approx 2 and a half seasons worth of tables there with out a big licenses in sight, fair enough that list might be missing some big hitters but a sprinkling of Licensed tables will sort that out....but still a solid list never the less

I imagine Freddy would require a license.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for asking about Black Knight getting rom emu'd.

Still no answer?

Bobby asked me about it (probably right after the call). I'll give you the update.

Gorgar is mostly done, just one more goal and a bunch of testing.
Black Hole needs audio extracted and has a few issues with getting it to work. Then I have to redo all the goal detection.
Black Knight needs System 7 emulation which isn't finished yet. After that I need audio extracted and redo goal detection.

Also as usually, great job SYT and Jeff

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
Bobby asked me about it (probably right after the call). I'll give you the update.

Black Hole needs audio extracted and has a few issues with getting it to work. Then I have to redo all the goal detection.
Black Knight needs System 7 emulation which isn't finished yet. After that I need audio extracted and redo goal detection.

Great update, Mike! Thanks. Firepower would be waiting on System 7 as well if memory serves, right?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012

Thanks Mike but as a complete idiot I have no idea how much work that is. It sounds like a lot, but is that a weeks work for you or a year? Not being a dick, really can't imagine how long that may take.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for the update Mike - I love this table, and for me personally, it's the only thing I still "want" from TPA.
Anything else is a bonus.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014

Any chance the artwork for "Black Knight" gets redone?

If anything, the art could be more brightened up and clearer.

"Black Knight" on TPA:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/spoonmanx/NintendoAge/Comparison_BlackKnight.jpg

"Black Knight" in real life:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=298

To me, it could be a whole lot better.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Mike but as a complete idiot I have no idea how much work that is. It sounds like a lot, but is that a weeks work for you or a year? Not being a dick, really can't imagine how long that may take.

Fair question.

Goal Detection on Gorgar took me about 2 hours to redo, I was having issues with the last goal, so I put it off until I'd have more time. Probably another hour of work. Then testing+bug fixing, could be a few hours of bug fixes if there are any. Or it could just be good.

Goal detection on Black Hole is probably similar amount of work. On Black Knight, probably a bit more (figure double that time). Figure in a few days to get the rom running, all the switches, lamps and solenoids hooked up properly, etc.

Audio extraction isn't me, so I can't comment on how long it'll take. I also can't comment on how long it would take to implement system 11.

My time would be a few weeks tops for all 3. Just a matter of finding those few weeks.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Sounded to me like they got a license to do an already licensed Sony pin and also a Sony license to create an original pin. Didn't he say a package of more than one license?

If I heard correctly, BSD is one of the titles included with the bundled license - hence no kickstarted required for BSD - hopefully the bundled license deal was more than 2 titles (original and existing).

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I was surprised that you didn't ask him to reveal the secrets of Raul Julia's estate. Are the rumors about him not wanting his image licensed after his death true? Did they make an exception for Pinball Arcade? Maybe Bobby told you guys beforehand that he can't talk about it

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Fair question.

Goal Detection on Gorgar took me about 2 hours to redo, I was having issues with the last goal, so I put it off until I'd have more time. Probably another hour of work. Then testing+bug fixing, could be a few hours of bug fixes if there are any. Or it could just be good.

Goal detection on Black Hole is probably similar amount of work. On Black Knight, probably a bit more (figure double that time). Figure in a few days to get the rom running, all the switches, lamps and solenoids hooked up properly, etc.

Audio extraction isn't me, so I can't comment on how long it'll take. I also can't comment on how long it would take to implement system 11.

My time would be a few weeks tops for all 3. Just a matter of finding those few weeks.

What, you have something better to do? ;)

I, selfishly, would give up getting a new table for 2 months in order to get some of these past due issues.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I was surprised that you didn't ask him to reveal the secrets of Raul Julia's estate. Are the rumors about him not wanting his image licensed after his death true? Did they make an exception for Pinball Arcade? Maybe Bobby told you guys beforehand that he can't talk about it
You've had a chance to listen by now I'd imagine, right?

Both Raul Julia's estate and the Addams Foundation weren't the issue with the license. It was the movie studio holding up proceedings.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
You've had a chance to listen by now I'd imagine, right?

Both Raul Julia's estate and the Addams Foundation weren't the issue with the license. It was the movie studio holding up proceedings.

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't necessarily imply that there was no problem with the Julia estate. It was a pretty big rumor and I am really curious to know if it was 100% completely untrue. Would Julia's estate license his image to anyone with enough dough?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, we spun the rumor mill hard on the forum, myself included. If there was a tale to tell, I think it would have been told this go around. Even in private discussion, nothing juicy was ever spilt. I think we all built up a much more fantastical scenario strictly because some exec not giving a rats ass is too pedestrian!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.