California Extreme

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Could you do me a favor and take a picture of that Whirlwind with the industrial-strength fan? I doubt I'll ever get to play it personally...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I was planning to to but things didn't fall through :( Take lots of pictures be TPAFP's insider FS staff will BE THERE! milk them dry, and HAVE FUUUUN!:D

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Could you do me a favor and take a picture of that Whirlwind with the industrial-strength fan? I doubt I'll ever get to play it personally...

It doesn't look any different. In fact, I had no idea there was anything special about it until I played it... then it was HOLLLYYY CRAAAP!!!!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Surely the fan must be bigger. The stock fan's not capable of anything more than a light breeze.

That's just it. It's not a fan. It's an electric leaf blower. If you're not paying attention, you don't notice the nozzle in the fan housing pointing right at your head. The rest of the blower is attached to the back like a Ghostbuster.

Heck, even when I know it's there, it always shocks me when it kicks in.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
That's just it. It's not a fan. It's an electric leaf blower. If you're not paying attention, you don't notice the nozzle in the fan housing pointing right at your head. The rest of the blower is attached to the back like a Ghostbuster.

Heck, even when I know it's there, it always shocks me when it kicks in.
That's kind of disappointing. I was envisioning literally an industrial fan. (OK, well, maybe not as big as those...)

Dante Kleinberg

Jun 6, 2012
I'll be there! This is my second year, and my first year staying in the same hotel. What a sweet arrangement! Play pinball for a while. Head upstairs if I need a break. Back down for more pinball. Repeat until 2 AM.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well, just got back from CAX and boy are my legs tired.

Here be the Whirlwind in question. Unfortunately, for the first time ever, the fan was not working this year. Talk about a major let down.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Is that one of those dyson bladeless fans? :p feet tired=fun at a pinball/video show I soo wanted to go so close yet soo poor, $40 sure it worth it but through in $40 gas and food drinks I'll just hit my arcade :p

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
$40 sure it worth it but through in $40 gas and food drinks I'll just hit my arcade :p

Wish I still had an arcade around. At least it would've been quieter. My issue with CAX still exists. Way too big and loud for its' own good. I couldn't hear one machine I played. I've also been spoiled by TPAs lack of broken flippers.

I'll be back tomorrow. What the hell, I'll be back tonight. :p

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Any idea of how many tables present? I'm not going until this afternoon. Bringing my daughter and nephew along.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I hear one guy brought 100 pins including Big Bang Bar and Kingpin! Did anyone get any pics or play those two. I'd love to hear people's impressions of those two ultra-rare machines.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Well, just got back from CAX and boy are my legs tired.

Here be the Whirlwind in question. Unfortunately, for the first time ever, the fan was not working this year. Talk about a major let down.

Heh, I took the exact same picture with the intent of posting it here. You beat me to it! And yes, it was a bummer that the blower was out of service.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Wish I still had an arcade around. At least it would've been quieter. My issue with CAX still exists. Way too big and loud for its' own good. I couldn't hear one machine I played. I've also been spoiled by TPAs lack of broken flippers.

I'll be back tomorrow. What the hell, I'll be back tonight. :p

I stayed for the whole weekend. My feet hurt like hell now and my stomach is a mess from eating bad food all weekend but it was worth it. I wore earplugs for most of the 2nd day. Not like you can hear the machines anyway. (except for that Firepower with the subwoofer. I love that thing.)

The noise thing is an issue but there's really no getting around it, it's the same at Pacific Pinball Expo. 400+ machines + hundreds of humans = din.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.