Certain kinds of drains that really irritate me in TPA

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
There are a couple of things in those TPA ball physics that I find impossible to wrap my mind around, and they are really maddening ones, especially since they're all drain-connected. It's like the game is taking sides in certain events, and guess what - it's never your own.

Problem1-1.jpg

This one drives me nuts the most. No matter from which angle the ball drops onto the top of the slingshot, it'll nearly always roll into the direction of the outlane. The chance of it happening is around 98%, which is just ludicrous.

Problem2.jpg

Remember the "Slap Save" advice from the PHOF days that came up in the loading screens? No point in following it now because it's just not working. It doesn't matter from where the ball comes from to touch the tip of the flipper, it'll always bounce off in a way so it can center drain. It's the same when you're not performing the slap save and you had the flipper holding still for one reason or another (like in that drawing above). Basically the whole area of tip of the flipper has turned into a complete death zone, especially when the ball is spinning slowly for some reason. Because when it's doing that what's happening is this:

Problem3.jpg

You can flip as madly as you want, the ball just flat-out refuses to go up. At least not in the way you intend it to. Instead of being shot upwards to some target on the table or whatever, it sort of climbs up further and further up the flipper until it finally drops off from it and drain. Why, however, it never drops to the other side so you could trap it, I'll never neverstand.

And you can nudge as much as you want in all of those cases, it won't help. Once the event is set in motion you can't avoid it anymore, you're done. It's like the game sometimes actively decides that the ball must drain (and it happens suspiciously more often once you're about to start or finish a mode - but I just might be imagining that).

It's annoying, it's aggravating... and I finally have to get it off my chest. Especially because I was just about to finish Batte For The Kingdom on Medieval Madness, after all - but couldn't do it because TPA suddenly wanted to produce one of these petty drains from nowhere.

Maybe someone here can actually explain them to me... and why they're accurate or something along the lines. However, I personally feel as if the law of actual physics are a bit out of the window when it comes to these drains. *scratches head*

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
But that's just it. It isn't real at all. It happens so often and in such an unrealistic manner that it's obviously prescripted bullshyte. I've been complaining about example 1 since the core pack. I've notice example 2 happens as well, but I've adapted my timing to avoid that.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Teed Off is really bad at #1 but all of TPA suffers from #1 and it sticks out like sore thumb after playing REAL pinball. The only time the ball hits the top of a sling and bounce realistically is if it barely moving.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Oh yeah fealing like the game is "RIGGED" especially after you get an EB the game decides the ball your playing is done, how convenient you got an EB.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
The only time the ball hits the top of a sling and bounce realistically is if it barely moving.

I really hate example #1 when the ball hits the top slowly and suspiciuosly speeds up while headed towards the outlane. I guess the "slinghot insta-drain" script is only designed to move the ball at a minimum speed.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
maybe I'll try slathering the top of my sling shots with vasaline and see if I can duplicate this rediculousness IRL. :p

Kadett785

Nov 23, 2013
I see drain type #1 all the time on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Especially on the right bumper. I've never played the real table though, so I cant comment on how realistic or not this type of drain is in that game.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
I see drain type #1 all the time on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Especially on the right bumper. I've never played the real table though, so I cant comment on how realistic or not this type of drain is in that game.

I don't know if the exact scenario you are talking about is correct physics, I don't remember seeing that particular issue but who knows? The real life ST:TNG is well known for its unforgiving outlanes.

I've pulled off slap saves in TPA several times, even with a few STDM type shots (those require a nudge+slap). It's probably difficult to do these shots without a decent controller though.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
A front nudge followed by the appropriate side nudge when the ball lines up with another post can frequently help prevent #1

Also never let the ball hit the top of the flipper when you are trying to regain control, always nudge so it lands closer to the center that way it will bounce to the other flipper in a way that you can trap

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

The slings on STTNG are actually trapezoids instead of triangles, with the tops having straight edges angled towards the outlanes, so example #1 behavior is natural and expected. Not so much on standard slings tho'.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Oh just as a note, my advice from the earlier post about the front nudge only applies when you do it the instant the ball makes contact with the top post of the slingshot. If you wait for it to dance on top of that post it might be too late.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The trick to avoid #1 is to nudge before the ball ever gets close to the top of the sling (nudge to side so the ball moves towards the center, away from the outlane...do 2 nudges in a row if you need too). If you wait till it hits the top of the sling, your chances of saving it are much less. Preventive nudging FTW.

I don't really have a problem with #2. Slap saves work fine for me.

With as generous as the tilt sensitivity is in comparison to the strength of the nudges, I can't really complain about any drains in TPA. I already feel like I'm cheating :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Teed off if you hit the post between the ramp and the volcanno with the upper flipper it will rockt straight down hit the center of the sling yet it goes left and drains uncontested every time nudging resulsts in the ball hiting the post, sling, drain then on the right sling ive had it hit so far inside the top it caused the sling to pop yet it went right outlane uncontested.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah I dunno about #2; slap saves are super easy, at least in the PS3 version--way too easy, really.

I like your drawings. : D

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Yeah I dunno about #2; slap saves are super easy, at least in the PS3 version--way too easy, really.

I like your drawings. : D

I've been thinking about this and I think the reason slap saves are so easy compared to real tables is largely due to the playfield being a on a monitor in a much smaller space. This means you can see both the ball's trajectory moving down and the flippers at the same time easily. When you're playing on a real machine the arc of ball movement in your field of vision is much much larger, and you can't as easily gauge where the ball is actually going to end up without immense amounts of practice since you can't see both the ball movement and the flippers at the same time.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've been thinking about this and I think the reason slap saves are so easy compared to real tables is largely due to the playfield being a on a monitor in a much smaller space. This means you can see both the ball's trajectory moving down and the flippers at the same time easily. When you're playing on a real machine the arc of ball movement in your field of vision is much much larger, and you can't as easily gauge where the ball is actually going to end up without immense amounts of practice since you can't see both the ball movement and the flippers at the same time.

Oh. That makes a lot of sense.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
The first one would get me bad in Medieveal Madness. I used to hit the castle drawbridge and let the ball bounce off the flipper after being ejected from the moat. It would bounce high enough to go into the inlane for a cradle 70% of the time but would sometimes bounce off the top edge into the outlane. I would be nearly done with caslte crusher and then lose my ball to that. Ridiculous. Now the bounce has been changed so it doesn't even clear the slingshot.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts