Details on PC Cabinet support for TPA

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Well if it was down to fear of sales dips for real pinball tables im not sure how that effect any company seeing's as bar Stern no other company are making or selling tables anymore and any table that gets sold (apart from recent stern tables) are all on the 2nd hand market which none of the manufactures see anyways!

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Silverballs make sure both monitors are the same timing that might cause tearing
I think you will want aero back on and maybe vsync for the game options under nvidia controls
Thanks again for suggestions. Both monitors have same timing and after forcing vsync on and aero it is pretty smooth although occasional tear. Might be my gtx480 1.5gb not up to par. I will play some more when I get time.

Out of interest what graphics card do you have Robert and with how much video ram?

Pinzzz

Jul 24, 2013
Cabinet Support will never happen.

I don't understand why Farsight won't comment on this themselves, instead of leaving the community in a guessing mode as to why it can't happen. Being upfront and honest is normally the best policy, instead of just silence.

Your answer is here!

http://geektyrant.com/news/official-game-of-thrones-pinball-machine-unveiled

•Game of Thrones pinball will not be available in digital form at launch, but Dankberg says they are working on digitizing Stern games from the past and present with FarSight Studios. The ultimate goal is to one day co-release a digital and physical version of a pinball machine.

This is why we won't see cabinet support!
The arrangement with stern pinball will allow farsight to release a digital version of a new physical table at the same time.
Stern pinball hopes this will drive the sales of the physical table.But not if people have cabinet versions of the game.What would be the incentive to buy the physical version?.
Farsight can't take away the features that we already have and paid for.But the promised cab version will never happen!.This deal is more lucrative for them than giving us a paid for or free cab version.

Done Deal!

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Your answer is here!

Not exactly, Stern is telling this story for years.
Also, Jody Dankberg once mentioned that he's thinking about a special Stern App.
So Farsight could do cab support for TPA and a Stern app without cab support (and portrait mode).

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Like Biff said that has been discussed for some time now. And anyway a rule could be added to only offer cab support for tables out of production, which is just about every table in TPA ATM.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Complete bull****!!, Hell will freeze over before a collaboration between Stern and FarSight ever happens, and if it ever did they still need to kickstart any decent Stern table so what's the point!!. And again any Stern table that is out of production and gets sold in 2015 Stern doesn't see a dime of it as its all 2nd market sales. So I don't see how this can effect the market if there was a FarSight cab, and let's be far there hasn't been a decent Stern table since TRON so I would much rather see a cab from FS than ever getting recent stern tables digitised, as mentioned anything not in production anymore should be fair game!. I just don't see how a digitised version of a table could ever compete with the real thing, it's just night and day

If they don't want to build a cab then fair enough but at least allow customised portrait views, multi display support, moveable dmd and backglass. Then let the community sort it out.....but it seems we've found a way around that anyway thanks to a few guys on here so jog on FarSight.

This has been the last straw with me for FarSight, their next kickstarter they won't be getting a single penny from me, I'm done with all that!. I feel the tide has turned for FS, before the PC version was released we all had these visions on how the PC version would be completely customisable but it's as locked down and featureless as the mobile and console versions, the next KickStarter will be the first one since the PC version has been released and I don't envy FS getting whatever it is funded at all!.......I think they've rubbed too many people the wrong way now!!!

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
A few comments to you, lettuce:

Complete bull****!!, Hell will freeze over before a collaboration between Stern and FarSight ever happens, and if it ever did they still need to kickstart any decent Stern table so what's the point!!.

The whole point of doing a collaboration with Stern on this is so that Stern can bake it into their original contract with the licence to be able to also do a digital version of their game, so why would Farsight need a kickstarter on this???

If they don't want to build a cab then fair enough but at least allow customised portrait views, multi display support, moveable dmd and backglass. Then let the community sort it out.....but it seems we've found a way around that anyway thanks to a few guys on here so jog on FarSight.

They do allow it.(so far at least) When Farsight has a problem with this, they will go after those who hack their system. So far they have not said they have a problem with this (as far as I have seen, anyway)
If you are saying that they should set it up for us, but not release it, you must be out of your mind. Why would they do all the work but not release it?? This is not visual pinball aka open source. We are dealing with a company that has to pay their bills here.

I understand the disappointment that Farsight has put Cab support on hold(I am really dissapointed, myself) but some of the reactions are just way out there.

If you are not satisfied and are tired of playing the app, just quit playing it. All this talk of boycotting kickstarters etc is driving me nuts. They are only doing kickstarters so that we can play tables that they otherwise could not have afforded. We are the ones that begged them to do it when they told us that a certain number of tables was just not profitable for them to pursue, so you would just be boycotting yourself.

And finally the most mind boggling part of your last post:

and let's be far there hasn't been a decent Stern table since TRON

Now I see that there is just no way of pleasing you. Your are probably the one that complain the most about what tables Farsight choose to digitize, in general on this forum and that is of course your right, but this is on the border of silly. If this is how you feel, why even bother to discuss this.

You will be very lucky if You find anyone else on this forum that does not enjoy at least one of the Stern tables since Tron.

Edit: Sorry if I come about as harsh here. I usually stay quit on stuff like this, but this time I just could not help myself. I hope you can handle the criticism but if you feel that I have offended you in any way, I do apologize. I just felt the need to speak up because my view is so radically different from yours.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Tron i havent SEEN a pinball machine since rbion, digital will be my only option for the forseeable future.

but as far as licenses go none of the newer stuff as peaked me interest in a theme sense unless it was ac/dc or star trek, but they may as be cave paintings in a muesum

Id love a vpin myself but for not its not practical for me. If visual pinball is the only option right now, surely you can go to the effort of installing it? sure its not as click click go as tpa but even with the 3rd party cameras you might have to click 3 more times!!! woe is me!

Im tpaless until i get a new ipad(or the pro) so play and enjoy!

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
heh, if they had a retro mod version with all the old classics maybe havent really seen much since the attiude era

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Edit: Sorry if I come about as harsh here. I usually stay quit on stuff like this, but this time I just could not help myself. I hope you can handle the criticism but if you feel that I have offended you in any way, I do apologize. I just felt the need to speak up because my view is so radically different from yours.

No worries my friend, we're all entitled to our replies and opinions.

But going back to what you were saying about the collaboration between stern and fs, i was referring to older stern tables (you know when they made good tables:p) such as TSPP, Spiderman, Family Guy, LOTR, TRON. They would need a kickstarter to bring them to TPA.

And unless your a fan of AC/DC or Metallica (which im not) then TRON was the last good table Stern made....well maybe Star Trek

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I've finished editing all the alpha numeric backglasses to fix proportions. during that I found I had to tweak the cameras for earth shaker and whirlwind so the play field part of the backglass is lined up properly so the bonus lights are right below the score boxes and can be used. So I've updated the camera files again as well. I left the backglasses the same for those old tables who's score display is a graphic that scales with resolution since a custom backglass would be needed for every resolution which is crazy talk so they're done till Farsight updates them to use scoring boxes that aren't fixed with the resolution of the game window.

So unless someone finds a problem or error etc I'm thinking the media pack for this part of the project is complete.
Heres all the completed backglass files
http://1drv.ms/1MkF5SE
can camera files that work with them.
http://1drv.ms/1iExH87

Here's preview of 3 of the alpha numeric's
tpacameramod%20and%20backglass1.png

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
When you guys have everything ready to rock and roll with this project, give the word. I'm talking all the needed settings, media files, and instructions. I'll see if we can't get Gord to make a new sub forum for you all.

karl

May 10, 2012
No worries my friend, we're all entitled to our replies and opinions.

But going back to what you were saying about the collaboration between stern and fs, i was referring to older stern tables (you know when they made good tables:p) such as TSPP, Spiderman, Family Guy, LOTR, TRON. They would need a kickstarter to bring them to TPA.

And unless your a fan of AC/DC or Metallica (which im not) then TRON was the last good table Stern made....well maybe Star Trek

Well there haven't been that many good ones. I'll give you that. But you guessed right. I am a big fan of ac/dc :D (I guess that was the trigger) I also find Metallica and Star Trek good.(but I too would probably rank them just below Tron) Twd and Kiss I haven't even played yet so no comment on those.

I just went to ipdb to check everything that they have done since Tron and the rest of them are not so great. Was actually a bit surprised how many clunkers they have released. Stuff like Transformers, X-men and Avengers are pins I tend to tire of really quickly.
But Rolling Stones was a home run ;)

Sorry for the misunderstanding regarding kickstarter. If you were talking about older Sterns then I completely agree with you. :eek:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
When you guys have everything ready to rock and roll with this project, give the word. I'm talking all the needed settings, media files, and instructions. I'll see if we can't get Gord to make a new sub forum for you all.

I'm cool with however everyone wants things organized. The FreeCamera Mod sub forum already exists..maybe it and the description could just be renamed to expand its scope

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012

ass kisser how dare you give the community mods a support

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts