Details on PC Cabinet support for TPA

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I would love to answer your question, but I don't make the decisions on when, how, and cost of releases.

I'm pretty sure there is a plan to release cabinet version. They wouldn't have had me spend a bunch of time on it if there wasn't a plan to release.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I would love to answer your question, but I don't make the decisions on when, how, and cost of releases.

I'm pretty sure there is a plan to release cabinet version. They wouldn't have had me spend a bunch of time on it if there wasn't a plan to release.

To be honest we get more useful and interesting information from you Mike than anyone else at Farsight, and we are grateful for that. Just hearing you say you still need to setup camera for some tables, and that you need to do 'some tuning with the accelerometer and nudge/tilt' are good signs and sounds promising for us cab owners. Thanks.

L33

Aug 20, 2014

Appreciate your reply Mike. Im not clued up on the who is who at Farsight etc, but appreciate your response. Its nice to here about products as they get released, but is also great to hear about products that may be getting released in the future as its nice to have something to look forward too sometimes.

Thanks again for your time. :)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Appreciate your reply Mike. Im not clued up on the who is who at Farsight etc, but appreciate your response. Its nice to here about products as they get released, but is also great to hear about products that may be getting released in the future as its nice to have something to look forward too sometimes.

Thanks again for your time. :)

I'm the Lead Gameplay/PC/Xbox360 Programmer. I don't make the decisions on product releases, pricing, etc. I just implement the features and fix bugs.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Hi Mike and happy new year :)
Is there a possibility to move the DMD to a second screen like PFX2 could?
I know its not but could you release a "little update" with such a config file?

Regards,
Longi

Since both TPA and VP use the actual game roms and VP can use a real DMD, I am really hoping there is a way to use my real DMD with TPA. I heard a rumor that the person that worked on that functionality in VP is now working at Farsite, so maybe it's not out of the question. Pro Pinball: Timeshock! is using a real DMD, as is Future Pinball. TPA is the best overall pinball emulator in my opinion, it would be great if it was the best emulator for cabinets too!

It would be really great if there was some read only API for TPA so hobbyist could see what is happening in the game programmatically. Then we could set up our LEDWiz's ourselves and we wouldn't even need to bother Farsight for cabinet options.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I have real DMD working in our cabinet version. I even put a conversion in to convert segment displays to DMD so it'll display that as well.

As for DMD on a second monitor, it's a semi complicated process because it involves creating multiple directx devices, etc. I have dual screen output working in Cabinet version so it'll display the backglass. I'll most likely add an option to display the DMD in the 2nd monitor if you don't have an LED Wiz.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I have real DMD working in our cabinet version. I even put a conversion in to convert segment displays to DMD so it'll display that as well.

As for DMD on a second monitor, it's a semi complicated process because it involves creating multiple directx devices, etc. I have dual screen output working in Cabinet version so it'll display the backglass. I'll most likely add an option to display the DMD in the 2nd monitor if you don't have an LED Wiz.

This is sounding really promising. Incidentally are you supporting both PinDMD1 and PinDMD2 for the real DMD output? The reason I ask is I was an early adopter so have a PinDMD1 but if you don't support it I might order a PinDMD2 now.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
This is sounding really promising. Incidentally are you supporting both PinDMD1 and PinDMD2 for the real DMD output? The reason I ask is I was an early adopter so have a PinDMD1 but if you don't support it I might order a PinDMD2 now.

They sent me a PinDMD2, which is what I implemented. However I'm not sure the tech details of PinDMD1, it may work with the code I have.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Mike, that sounds good. If you could make it so that the DMD can repositioned anywhere and resized, that would be amazing.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
We have been down this road before. I will hold off on getting excited until I see it on my cab. Could be years off until we see anything.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I too recall reading exactly the same stuff exactly one year ago. The only explanation is I fell into a wormhole.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Mike: serious question that is bugging me the most about cab support:
Why is it not possible to add another fixed view camera option for cabinet full playfield portrait view?
This is a one time thing that applies to all tables. I admit they may need individual fine tuning for layback, but it would be a great start.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts