DLC Release Date

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I bought BOP and MM and they are awesome - although I have the Ipod Touch versions you can't beat a large screen.

Before I buy the CV and Funhouse tables I want to demo them. I have all updates applied (I deleted the 99% update and re-installed successfully), and I can see CV/FH in the menus but when I click Press A to play the only option I have is to purchase.

How do you demo a table on the Xbox? I have searched through the thread but can't find any mention of it.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

May 28, 2012
I personally don't have a problem with the angles, but I do wish they would make the angles consistant across all tables, unless, of course, a particular table has a radically different shape, such as if they did Pinball Circus, or Revenge From Mars.

Problem is Playfield sizes of all tables. Tables don´t have self sizes.

Huffster

Jul 31, 2012
The way the DLC is implemented on the xbox, I don't think there are demo versions, But at only $5 you can't go wrong just getting them.

MichRX7

Aug 2, 2012
The way the DLC is implemented on the xbox, I don't think there are demo versions, But at only $5 you can't go wrong just getting them.

Agreed, and I thought FH was spot on. I never played the real CV so it is hard to say how that is done.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I think on 360 only free games, like Game Room and Pinball FX 2, can have DLC demos. TPA is classified as a paid game, therefore, much like how you can't try out the latest Modern Warfare maps before you buy, you can't demo the tables. Like they said above, at $5.00 a pair, you can't really beat it. Even if it isn't to your liking now, they will most likely fix the issues in the future. The only reason not to buy them is if you have a real FH and CV in your house.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I think on 360 only free games, like Game Room and Pinball FX 2, can have DLC demos. TPA is classified as a paid game, therefore, much like how you can't try out the latest Modern Warfare maps before you buy, you can't demo the tables. Like they said above, at $5.00 a pair, you can't really beat it. Even if it isn't to your liking now, they will most likely fix the issues in the future. The only reason not to buy them is if you have a real FH and CV in your house.

Agree totally - bargain of the century :) - I will definitely buy them and would right now if I had some points left or could top-up my balance. Long story - I used my last points buying table pack 1 on Tuesday, and I can't top-up my balance as my debit card was blocked due to a fraudalent transaction on my card overseas. Will need to wait another couple of days before I can try the other 2 tables :(

Thanks for the info.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012

Thanks for the further clarification Richard. I only got the Xbox recently for the kids (and me :)) so the XBLA stuff is new to me. All my TPA playing was an Ipod Touch before that.

I really like the new lighting in the original core tables and in BOP. I was quite keen to see the lighting tonight in CV because the Youtube video looks really impressive. Will just need to wait a little longer.

Cheers

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Problem is Playfield sizes of all tables. Tables don´t have self sizes.
While it's true that there is no standard size for pinball tables and playfields, most fall within a general range. There are different classes, such as widebodies, cocktails, minis, and oddities like PC, but most tables within the same class have negligible dimension differences.

Pinhead

Feb 29, 2012
Haha. Your post finally helped a simple apples vs oranges difference to finally click thru my thick skull. :eek: While both come wirh 4 built-in tables, Pinball Arcade is built like a game, not an app. A true game hub like Pinball FX2, Game Room, or Hasbro Family Game Night can function completely separate from its bundled DLC. In other words, I can ignore the core FX2 tables (which many here think suck) and still play the new Avengers DLC. With TPA I can't pass on purchasing the core tables and still use the base game to play the Cirqus/Funhouse DLC. Thinking of them as DLC, the lack of trials makes sense, but FX2 has trained me to think of tables as individual games.

I agree $5 is a bargain price, but while I will more than likely buy up every table 2-pack on release day, I believe the casual gamer will need proper motivation to keep coughing up 400 msp. In lieu of table trials, I was wondering how practical it would be for FS to get gameplay vids up on the marketplace. From what I know of MS, I'm guessing that involves significant monetary and certification hassle.

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I got my new debit card through after the last one was blocked due to a dodgy overseas transaction, so I purchased the CV/FH pack. Although not my most favourite tables, they look so good.

The lighting seems to be the best on these two tables particularly CV when the pink tube is used. The way it illuminates the whole table including the lockdown bar looks really nice. If the flashers on all tables could spread the light more like this they would look so much better.

CV seems slightly slow to me although I have only played the VP Cab version before and not the real table so it may be accurate. Funhouse seems faster, the ball more weighty and the I really like the feel this one. It is nice to know they can tweak the physics so well to get a different feel.

I love the old EMs so would love to see some of those one day.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
CV seems slightly slow to me although I have only played the VP Cab version before and not the real table so it may be accurate. Funhouse seems faster, the ball more weighty and the I really like the feel this one. It is nice to know they can tweak the physics so well to get a different feel.
Many noted this when the pack hit Android. People who've played the real CV said the ball movement there is also slow.
I think each table is created sequentially, rather than in pairs, as I've noticed a progression in the physics from worst (MM) to best (FH). The other tables, such as MB and CFTBL are supposed to have even more advanced physics.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Many noted this when the pack hit Android. People who've played the real CV said the ball movement there is also slow.
I think each table is created sequentially, rather than in pairs, as I've noticed a progression in the physics from worst (MM) to best (FH). The other tables, such as MB and CFTBL are supposed to have even more advanced physics.
Cirqus Voltaire is not a particularly fast table in real life. I would say the TPA version is just a shade too slow and floaty, but the difference is really very minor.

IMO, Monster Bash has the most realistic physics so far. CFTBL is also good, but I think they've gone a tad too far in curbing the bounciness - you can just hold up the right flipper and get a trap 100% of the time, and neither real CFTBL near me will allow that.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
I never got to play CV in real life and the Android version for some reason never hooked me, but i'm really enjoying playing the 360 version, I think its a combination of the incredible lighting,seeing it on the big screen, and it sounds far better than the sound coming from a Tablet.

N

Nik Barbour

Cirqus Voltaire is not a particularly fast table in real life. I would say the TPA version is just a shade too slow and floaty, but the difference is really very minor.

IMO, Monster Bash has the most realistic physics so far. CFTBL is also good, but I think they've gone a tad too far in curbing the bounciness - you can just hold up the right flipper and get a trap 100% of the time, and neither real CFTBL near me will allow that.

I got dlc 4 soon as it came out, tried CFTBL and noticed the flipper trap is possible 100 % even from really fast ramp runs down the inlane. However, visually to me (small phone screen though) it looks as if the upright flipper angle is slightly steeper than other tables. Having never played in real life, I assumed this was a feature of that table.
Can't get into CFTBL yet, and haven't played much, so apologies if im wrong, but the upright flipper angle did look steeper to me.
I am totally addicted to BK, so unfortunately CFTBL doesn't get much of a look in this month!

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
As mentioned before I was playing the TPA releases on an Ipod touch and although I thought they were the best available on a small device, the difference now playing these on an Xbox is huge - they are soooo good. They really have done a superb job to get so many tables out in a short space of time on so many platforms - they have listened and adapted quickly - better lighting, physics tweaks, etc.

I can't wait for the PC version with Cab support. I just hope the product is selling well enough to allow them to continue.

Huffster

Jul 31, 2012
Got the update. I too find the TOM table and some other core tables too dark and contrasty now. Although, maybe I just need more time to acclimate.

Just an update to my own post from a couple days ago, I have switched from playing TPA/Xbox on my 50 inch HDTV to a 24 inch computer monitor and the difference is dramatic. Much better looking image with more shadow detail and I have acclimated to the new graphics and they are growing on me. The high quality image on a native 1080p computer monitor really brings out every detail in extreme sharpness, which unfortunately can also show any flaws too, like the lack of good anti-aliasing on the xbox. The image processing on my HDTV covered that up. I guess my main point is for those who think the new graphics are too dark, your display and it's calibration settings really do have a major impact on graphics quality.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Just an update to my own post from a couple days ago, I have switched from playing TPA/Xbox on my 50 inch HDTV to a 24 inch computer monitor and the difference is dramatic. Much better looking image with more shadow detail and I have acclimated to the new graphics and they are growing on me. The high quality image on a native 1080p computer monitor really brings out every detail in extreme sharpness, which unfortunately can also show any flaws too, like the lack of good anti-aliasing on the xbox. The image processing on my HDTV covered that up. I guess my main point is for those who think the new graphics are too dark, your display and it's calibration settings really do have a major impact on graphics quality.

Computer monitors also have a different colour range than TV's. On PC monitors you should use Expanded reference levels for more accurate brightness/contrast levels, while that setting is too dark for TV's, where you should use standard reference levels.

Aurel

Jul 27, 2012
Same for me I've changed my TV setting from "cinema1" to "standard" and now it's ok for all the table ToM and MM are now not too dark and I can take advantage of the updated lightnings: very nice! well done Farsight!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts