Do you prefer the new lighting on the original tables?

Do you prefer the new lighting on the original tables?

• Yes, I prefer playing the tables in a darker environment.

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • No, I prefer playing the tables in a brighter environment.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
On my tv, I can see the astronaut on the upper left. The light is dim of course, but he's not difficult to see. And the arm that you CAN see may actually be that astronaut's leg. I'm assuming you're seeing the leg because that's the brightest portion of him. The area where the left upper flipper is pointing at when it's down, correct? I can tell it's his leg because I can see his whole body.

Now, the middle of the playfield is really dark, but that's because the lighting in the lower playfield is off, but I can still see the 6 arrows flashing through the glass.

If the table is so dark that you can't even see the astronauts, I can see why you aren't happy.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Oh course much of this lighting issue can be attributed to your TV's brightness/contrast.
I think the brightness "day/night" slider will be a welcome addition for everyone.
I think what many of them really need is a bit more color saturation to be honest.

Funhouse has awesome lighting. The bloom effect looks nice, perhaps a bit soft, but it's color levels seem on the low end. Booting it on my Samsung HDTV does help,
but it's kind of a hassle to adjust just for one or two tables.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
check out this information and picture, to see if your tv/ps3 are not set too dark

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=16

Indeed the above helps to bring more nuance into the darker end of the spectrum. Do note however that turning on Limited will make the colours and lights less vibrant if you keep the other settings the same, initially to the point where stuff like black hole looks even darker.

To combat this turn up your contrast and colour saturation to desired levels and you have the best of both worlds.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Finally got around to downloading the demo and updating. Still think it's strange you have to download the demo to update. So how are future updates and dlc gonna be handled?

Anyway, I was shocked to see the lighting on the original tables. Its hilariously dark. I chuckled a bit when I saw it. Did anyone even have a problem with the lighting in the first place? Why fix what wasn't broken? I'm officially annoyed with TPA. Yes, I can turn my brightness and contrast up and it's a bit better, but still, it's silly to make it so dark. I've never played pinball in a location that would make it that dark.... and I have played TOTAN at the smokiest and darkest bowling alley you've ever seen.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Having been quite dismissive of the lighting changes on the PS3 initially, I've mostly come round to preferring them. Although the playfield is still a touch too dark on ToM, the feature lights are just about perfect. On the 360 the bloom is so overdone that you can't read anything on the illusion inserts for example.

The only one that doesn't really work is Black Hole. It is simply too dark to even see the ball properly. The 360 version has it just about perfect.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Having been quite dismissive of the lighting changes on the PS3 initially, I've mostly come round to preferring them. Although the playfield is still a touch too dark on ToM, the feature lights are just about perfect. On the 360 the bloom is so overdone that you can't read anything on the illusion inserts for example.

The only one that doesn't really work is Black Hole. It is simply too dark to even see the ball properly. The 360 version has it just about perfect.

I share similar feelings although I still do not like the PS3 version that much. I have been considering picking up the 360 version of the game due the flipper lag problems on the PS3, and had them both running at the same time. Flipping between inputs with the same tables loaded really shows how good the Xbox 360 version of the game looks compared the PS3 version. Although the lights in the PS3 version look a speck better, the overall feel of the game is many times better on the 360 version and the PS3 version is just ugly.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I share similar feelings although I still do not like the PS3 version that much. I have been considering picking up the 360 version of the game due the flipper lag problems on the PS3, and had them both running at the same time. Flipping between inputs with the same tables loaded really shows how good the Xbox 360 version of the game looks compared the PS3 version. Although the lights in the PS3 version look a speck better, the overall feel of the game is many times better on the 360 version and the PS3 version is just ugly.

I have both and have the oppsite opinion. I think the 360 version looks quite bad compared to the PS3 version. On the 360 version, everything just looks way too saturated and you can't even read the lights on TOM when they're lit up. When I showed my brother the game for the first time to get an unbiased opinion, he couldn't believe how much worse the 360 looked.....maybe some of it depends on different TV models and settings, but on both my TV and PC monitor, the PS3 version looks much better.

Last edited:

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Anyone using 'cinema or movie' modes? It'd meant to be the most accurate preset available without paying for isf calibration. Be interesting to see and pics guys.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
most cinema modes will introduce processing features, and therefor lag, so I doubt its the best way to play.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I have both and have the oppsite opinion. I think the 360 version looks quite bad compared to the PS3 version. On the 360 version, everything just looks way too saturated and you can't even read the lights on TOM when they're lit up. When I showed my brother the game for the first time to get an unbiased opinion, he couldn't believe how much worse the 360 looked.....maybe some of it depends on different TV models and settings, but on both my TV and PC monitor, the PS3 version looks much better.

Agreed Jeff! I have TPA on PS3, 360 and the new IPad. I gotta say that the new IPad takes the cake as far as graphics is concern in my opinion. LOL I do like it on the PS3 WAY more than I do on the 360 because of how the lighting is and such.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.