Doctor Who Kickstarter

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Let's see, you think "giving away" T-shirts, and hoodies, for $250+ is OK, and making beta testing a $400 paid exclusive is alright, but somehow the TAFG is the one thing you'll plant your flag on and make it a battle for?

This logic is not sound.

First you claim TAFG is a mere add-on then you say it's equivalent to a "let's have tables just for us mentality". It's either one or the other in the face of things you've deemed as OK to have as exclusive rewards at much deeper pocket tiers.

Either you should have supported TAF in order to get TAFG, or you'll have to wait. It is the one time FS has held to their word on exclusivity wrt their KS promises; beta testing aside.

What FS needs to do is to take an active role in the PR of their kickstarters, not leave the heavy lifting to the same people who are funding the campaign. Yes, better rewards will bring higher backers, but more exposure, and an active presence, from the creator goes a long way to how the project is received too.

First off, TAF Gold isn't even being offered! I talked with the guys at FarSight this past weekend and made the suggestion as a low tier reward to get people that otherwise wouldn't participate to do just that. The flag I planted is for the idea I pitched, to FarSight.

Tell me, how much do you think TAF Gold is worth, realistically? Are you opposed to a large influx of people having access to it at an economical value?

TAFG is just an add-on. Elsewhere in this thread people suggested having tables made exclusively for kickstarter backers. As if it doesn't take man hours that will cost FarSight WAY more than the value of the kickstarter, by the way. Point being, I'm opposed to things playable within the game being reserved for a select few that were able to pony up the cash.

I don't know what type of things high dollar contributors feel are worthy rewards. I do know the point is for those rewards to not cost FarSight. Apparently though, offering TAFG at an entry level is highly offensive or something. I'm pitching a bargain and being argued against it. Which brings me back around to what value do you place on TAFG. I value it at $5, but for the sake of helping a kickstarter, would overvalue at $10. Thus 10 + 5 for Doctor Who's eventual sell price = $15.

My logic is sound. Illogical is thinking it's worth $75, which when you add in all the copies of Doctor Who you'd get, = the $100+ tier.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I don't know what type of things high dollar contributors feel are worthy rewards. I do know the point is for those rewards to not cost FarSight. Apparently though, offering TAFG at an entry level is highly offensive or something. I'm pitching a bargain and being argued against it. Which brings me back around to what value do you place on TAFG. I value it at $5, but for the sake of helping a kickstarter, would overvalue at $10. Thus 10 + 5 for Doctor Who's eventual sell price = $15.

My logic is sound. Illogical is thinking it's worth $75, which when you add in all the copies of Doctor Who you'd get, = the $100+ tier.

I get where you are coming from. And you're right it's a $5-$10 premium table on its own.

The angle I'm looking at is how can the Kickstarter meet it's goal. Right now TAF Gold is a unique product. It can be offered as a higher tier reward to help push the Kickstarter towards reaching it's goal. I would argue pricing it as a higher tiered bonus will do more to help reach that goal than offering it at $5/10/15 tier. At the lower price point it won't make enough of a dent. And without reaching the goal the Dr Who table won't be created nor will anyone get TAF Gold.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
The idea that TAFG is an add on is correct. The idea that it was offered to high value contributors as a reward was, I guess, a 'business decision'. That was a long time ago so the exclusivity factor has gone. To have TAFG as a reward at the lower end is a good idea as it will bring more funds in.

In order to ensure as far as possible that the KS is funded, FS surely should be looking into the current asset box and using them to its advantage. Offering them 'as a zero cost to them' reward lower down the reward tier makes perfect sense.

We don't know if TAFG will ever be available through the normal release schedule so the option to have it at a lower cost AND help fund the KS is a no brainier for me personally

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
The idea that TAFG is an add on is correct. The idea that it was offered to high value contributors as a reward was, I guess, a 'business decision'. That was a long time ago so the exclusivity factor has gone. To have TAFG as a reward at the lower end is a good idea as it will bring more funds in.

In order to ensure as far as possible that the KS is funded, FS surely should be looking into the current asset box and using them to its advantage. Offering them 'as a zero cost to them' reward lower down the reward tier makes perfect sense.

We don't know if TAFG will ever be available through the normal release schedule so the option to have it at a lower cost AND help fund the KS is a no brainier for me personally
----
If I'm correct, we reached 30 percent. Sure hope an incentive or more come with those now.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The angle I'm looking at is how can the Kickstarter meet it's goal. Right now TAF Gold is a unique product. It can be offered as a higher tier reward to help push the Kickstarter towards reaching it's goal. I would argue pricing it as a higher tiered bonus will do more to help reach that goal than offering it at $5/10/15 tier.

And I understand that angle. One thing to consider is, all those people that did the higher tier during TAF's kickstarter, already got TAFG, which means there is no motivation for them. This is why a new offer needs to be thought up, and TAFG can be dropped down to lower tier to entice the budget friendly market. $15 is better than nothing, and I'm sure there's some Confusious saying about how one small pebble won't make a dam, but many will. When it's the final days of the kickstarter and it's down to that final $1000, those little pebbles would sure be nice.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
And I understand that angle. One thing to consider is, all those people that did the higher tier during TAF's kickstarter, already got TAFG, which means there is no motivation for them. This is why a new offer needs to be thought up, and TAFG can be dropped down to lower tier to entice the budget friendly market. $15 is better than nothing, and I'm sure there's some Confusious saying about how one small pebble won't make a dam, but many will. When it's the final days of the kickstarter and it's down to that final $1000, those little pebbles would sure be nice.
____
You are so right, SYT. Pebbles do make that dam eh. They sure add up; I just hope it's decided how quickly.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013

That's a fair point too since I'm at $50 and have TAF Gold and have zero reason to move higher if TAF Gold is offered at one. I am willing to spend a bit more to make this happen but need a reason to - hence my suggestions. I'm still willing to bet there will be more movement towards the goal at the higher level offer of TAF Gold than at the lower tier. Another thing to consider is I'm at $50 and if a copy of TAF Gold is offered at $15 why would I stay at $50? Although I don't play TPA on my iPad much anymore I would be in at $15. So there's a potential to lose higher priced bids (I'll stick at $50 regardless FYI).

There's far less risk of getting more bids at $15 but I think higher risk of meeting the goal.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Another idea might be to offer TAF Gold as a stretch goal. Say like if the pledge goal reaches 60k (or whatever seems reasonable) anyone who backed at $15+ gets 1 copy of that table. That satisfies the overall goal requirement of getting the Who table made and offers a nice perk to a fair chunk of people. Might entice higher pledges to meet the stretch.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Offer TAF Gold at the $5,000 level. There. Problem solved once and all!

Sarcasm.

Seriously, I was unable to contribute to the TAF kickstarter. I was between jobs and low on dough. Like you, I hope TAFG gets a general release, but at this point, I doubt it's going to happen. My whole point was to make an offer for Doctor Who contributors. Guess I didn't consider the sheer number of TAF gold backers, or the fact that the whole point of TPA was to make pinball simulations affordable to everyone.

And thanks to the generosity of those who contribute to KS for TPA, we've got access to some great tables.

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Never played the doctor who table but to be fair I've not played many real tables...at least at an age I can remember. Kick starters are also something new to me...never heard of them until I joined this site a while back. As table choices are irrelevant to me (as I'll play pretty much any game) as much as I'd probably enjoy playing Dr Who, I'm not bothered either way...just happy to play what ever table crops up. However, if there was a 'reasonable' selection on there whereby cab support was offered in the donation...I wouldn't hesitate to donate to the kickstarter. :) Just sayin :)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Well, as can be expected, Failsight is stinking up the comments section again. I don't know if he knows that he may be actually helping the kickstarter because he probably reinforces the "us-against-the-troll" feeling that could entice people to support the KS more than they otherwise would have done. I remember that he donated 10.000 to one earlier TPA KS (was it T2 or TAF?) only to withdraw that pledge again, and this could well have prompted a rally by others to get to the finish line. Even more devious thought: could it be a secret Farsight employee? *Twilight Zone theme playing* :)

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Well, as can be expected, Failsight is stinking up the comments section again. I don't know if he knows that he may be actually helping the kickstarter because he probably reinforces the "us-against-the-troll" feeling that could entice people to support the KS more than they otherwise would have done. I remember that he donated 10.000 to one earlier TPA KS (was it T2 or TAF?) only to withdraw that pledge again, and this could well have prompted a rally by others to get to the finish line. Even more devious thought: could it be a secret Farsight employee? *Twilight Zone theme playing* :)

Up to his old tricks again :mad:
Never learns!

Last edited:

Flipper bump

Jan 20, 2014
Hi guys i am aware that this following question doesnt belong here but it would be great if one of you could give me some explanation, its about nudging, when i nudge a table it seems i am only able to nudge up and downwards and i am not able to nudge sideways, can someone explain me how to make it possible to nudge sideways cause i really miss this possibility, thanx in advance for any answers.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Up to his old tricks again :mad:
Never learns!

As far as I can tell, there are three "different" users all having an internal dialog. All three have been reported, because it's all a bit strange all three only appeared after the first post. And I've carried on as if they're not there, which is what everyone needs to do.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
First off, TAF Gold isn't even being offered! I talked with the guys at FarSight this past weekend and made the suggestion as a low tier reward to get people that otherwise wouldn't participate to do just that. The flag I planted is for the idea I pitched, to FarSight.
No-one suggested it was being offered, the conversation was hypothetical. However, to use your exclusivity complaints, you have, with your access to FS staff, a larger exclusive than TAFG will ever be.

Tell me, how much do you think TAF Gold is worth, realistically? Are you opposed to a large influx of people having access to it at an economical value?
The discussion was never about this to anyone but you

TAFG is just an add-on. Elsewhere in this thread people suggested having tables made exclusively for kickstarter backers. As if it doesn't take man hours that will cost FarSight WAY more than the value of the kickstarter, by the way. Point being, I'm opposed to things playable within the game being reserved for a select few that were able to pony up the cash.
Where is your expressed venom for the exclusivity of the videos that are no longer available through TPA for those that didn't want to or couldn't pony up the cash ... or for those who don't have custom ball skins. Everything in the DLC becomes exclusive under your definition FFS.

I don't think you understand the kickstarter still. It isn't a quid pro quo system for pre-order.

You seem quite opposed to having people pledge higher levels to achieve the license. Despite what you think of the KS, FS has needed these high tier pledges to succeed due to their ineptness in PR and coordinated media exposure for the campaign.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
As far as I can tell, there are three "different" users all having an internal dialog. All three have been reported, because it's all a bit strange all three only appeared after the first post. And I've carried on as if they're not there, which is what everyone needs to do.

It's a shame that nonsense is allowed to go on. It makes you appreciate the way this forum is run. Gord and the moderators would have that stopped in no time. Many thanks to all of you

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Well said. I offered the suggestion of not feeding the troll, but one of the participants in that particular group of three had the hypothesis that the more you feed the troll, the more active he would become and the more he would be reported by others. I'm not sure that's sound thinking.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Well said. I offered the suggestion of not feeding the troll, but one of the participants in that particular group of three had the hypothesis that the more you feed the troll, the more active he would become and the more he would be reported by others. I'm not sure that's sound thinking.

I think your right, if you leave him there talking to himself he will move on.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.