EM picks...Jive Time!

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Skylab? Nate Shivers from C2C Pinball has a Skylab as his sole EM. You know what he says about it? Well, it looks nice sitting in his living room. Sorry, I hate to be so critical in telling someone they're wrong about what's good and what's not but...YOU'RE WRONG!

Meh, won't be the first time and won't be the last.

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter anyway, seeing that you'll NEVER get "Fireball" on TPA. :p

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Fireball is by a good margin, my favorite EM. And I love me some EMs.
dtown, if you ever fix up a Fireball and don't want to keep it, put me first on the list of buyers.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
oh a thought just popped up in my pea brain head,we don`t have many STERN tables :how about these tables in a one off six pack.1. BIG GAME 2. GALAXY 3.FREEFALL 4.METEOR 5.COSMIC PRINCESS 6.NINE BALL STUFF IT make it a ten pack !!! 7.ALI 8.SEAWITCH 9.STAR GAZER 10.LIGHTNING just a thought. if everyone puts there 2 bobs worth in, we might come up with a great one off 10 pack. :confused:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Once you admit that you haven't played a table by mentioning how it "looks", you're done. With that said, keep in mind that there are a few versions of Fireball out there, with many pics mislabeled. Often Fireball Classic, Fireball II and Fireball home version are mistaken for the original EM Fireball. Dokkenrokken, if you happen to have seen pics of any of the "wrong" tables, I can understand where you're coming from. Those tables suck hard. ONLY the EM Fireball is worth anything, and it's worth a lot.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Once you admit that you haven't played a table by mentioning how it "looks", you're done. With that said, keep in mind that there are a few versions of Fireball out there, with many pics mislabeled. Often Fireball Classic, Fireball II and Fireball home version are mistaken for the original EM Fireball. Dokkenrokken, if you happen to have seen pics of any of the "wrong" tables, I can understand where you're coming from. Those tables suck hard. ONLY the EM Fireball is worth anything, and it's worth a lot.

I'm done? How cute.

It's called an opinion, and I'm basing it on pictures and video, much like how others do. Is this not what everyone is talking about:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=852&picno=16767

If so, again, it doesn't look like anything special, just like someone said "Skylab" wasn't anything special. There's no need to be sensitive about meaningless things.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm done? How cute.

It's called an opinion, and I'm basing it on pictures and video, much like how others do. Is this not what everyone is talking about:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=852&picno=16767

If so, again, it doesn't look like anything special, just like someone said "Skylab" wasn't anything special. There's no need to be sensitive about meaningless things.

I know. I had concerns about "I'm done" the moment I posted. It came out much harsher in print than in my head.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I know. I had concerns about "I'm done" the moment I posted. It came out much harsher in print than in my head.

It's all good, I'm just giving you a hard time. lol

Now, back to how awesome Fireball is and how terrible Skylab is. :p
(In all seriousness, it just doesn't look like anything special to me... to each their own.)

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well, as having played it as a child and just this past year as an adult, I can tell you this. It hasn't aged well. Back in '72, I had not played a table that had a) a skill shot. b) an outlane kicker. c) a spinning platform. d) zipper flippers. e) multi-ball. Combine all that in the days when drop targets were the big thing and yeah, my mind was blown.

Today, 2014. Not so much. After getting multiball , that's pretty much it in terms of "wizard mode". There really ain't a whole lot of targets. But, if FS were ever to do EMs again, might as well be this one.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
oh a thought just popped up in my pea brain head,we don`t have many STERN tables :how about these tables in a one off six pack.1. BIG GAME 2. GALAXY 3.FREEFALL 4.METEOR 5.COSMIC PRINCESS 6.NINE BALL STUFF IT make it a ten pack !!! 7.ALI 8.SEAWITCH 9.STAR GAZER 10.LIGHTNING
11. PINBALL and 12. QUICKSILVER would make it a dozen.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Fireball is by a good margin, my favorite EM. And I love me some EMs.
dtown, if you ever fix up a Fireball and don't want to keep it, put me first on the list of buyers.

I will but that's doubtful. Everything that I've been coming across is in the low dollar range while Fireball is pretty pricey for a 70's EM. It's usually somewhere in the 2k range. Guy I fixed the Aztec for called my dad the other day and told him he picked up a Williams 8 Ball (no, not a Bally) for 150 and wanted to know if I was interested. Had to say nah. With the price he's going to jack it up to and the costs for parts it's just not going to worth the risk financially.

Mentions of Abra Ca Dabra are good too. There's a pinsider about an hour from me wanting to sell his. He listed it for $750 which probably could get worked down some. It's working and in nice shape but I think he got another one in better shape, hence the unloading. I like that one too but I just don't have the room with the three I have right now, two of which are still in project mode.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
So true. I often look around Pinside at prices. Often the price of reproduction plastic are more than you could sell the pin for.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
So true. I often look around Pinside at prices. Often the price of reproduction plastic are more than you could sell the pin for.

Yea. And hold onto that backglass like it's your first born. Can't wait to take out that Genco Hits and Runs for sealing. There are NO replacements if I break it. :eek:

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
Today, 2014. Not so much. After getting multiball , that's pretty much it in terms of "wizard mode". There really ain't a whole lot of targets. But, if FS were ever to do EMs again, might as well be this one.

Personally I still return to Big Shot a lot, it's nice to have a solid back to basics table. An EM of that quality would be welcome. A Central Park type EM would not be. Any EM which really needs refined nudging to be playable is not a good candidate.

Fireball is certainly a noted historical pinball with its interesting gimmicks for the time (spinner, multiball, zipper flippers). Just from looks and commentary, however, it might be just as bad of a drain monster as Jive Time was. (Those who have played the table can chime in if I'm wrong.)

At the moment I think Royal Flush would be the best candidate for an EM, but I doubt we'll ever see *any* EMs ever. Frankly I only put a couple pre-1985 games in the "likely" category at the moment (that being EBD and Xenon)...

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Personally I still return to Big Shot a lot, it's nice to have a solid back to basics table. An EM of that quality would be welcome. A Central Park type EM would not be. Any EM which really needs refined nudging to be playable is not a good candidate.

Fireball is certainly a noted historical pinball with its interesting gimmicks for the time (spinner, multiball, zipper flippers). Just from looks and commentary, however, it might be just as bad of a drain monster as Jive Time was. (Those who have played the table can chime in if I'm wrong.)

At the moment I think Royal Flush would be the best candidate for an EM, but I doubt we'll ever see *any* EMs ever. Frankly I only put a couple pre-1985 games in the "likely" category at the moment (that being EBD and Xenon)...

Agreed.

As much as I dislike EMs, I LOVE "Big Shot". It's a fun theme with a great layout. If only we could get a few more like that, instead of wishing for junk like "Jive Time". Again, I think "King Pin" would be another fun themed table like "Big Shot".

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

That was the beauty of it. Even though it was your typical EM drain monster, the Kick-back and the zipper flippers gave you a fighting chance.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
hi ,I got a bit carried away in fairyland the other day because I really luv the old STERN tables.i quickly went through my VP TABLES and found these,i must add there is a heap more. 1.KINGS AND QUEENS 2. ABRA CA DABRA 3.JOKER POKER 4.ROYAL FLUSH 5.KING PIN 6.BIG HIT 7.HIT THE DECK 8.POST TIME 9.BALLS ARE A POPPING 10.STRANGE WORLD 11.BIG TOP 12.ACE HIGH.i must admit the tables in this era are SPORTS and GAMBLING orientated which is right up my alley.i started off on these tables,i remember the nice man from behind the counter use to bring out the old trusty milk crate which was a great help for us little short asses !!! that`s why I luv FARSIGHT AND ZEN for all the tables they brought out.IT BRINGS OUT THE LITTLE CHILD INSIDE ALL OF US !!! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts