Exactly how are TPA tables easier than the real thing?

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
There seems to be less bricked shots IMO. Shots off by a little seem to still go in the scoop (or what're ever you are snooping at).

I think this is one of the differences between Star Trek: TNG and some of the other tables. The holes and scoops there don't have quite as much tendency to vacuum up shots that are a little off. It seems considerably more realistic, though I don't know if it's dead accurate.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
I think this is one of the differences between Star Trek: TNG and some of the other tables. The holes and scoops there don't have quite as much tendency to vacuum up shots that are a little off. It seems considerably more realistic, though I don't know if it's dead accurate.

Yeah, I felt that way too with that one. Would just be bouncing the ball around the field getting no points. Felt more like you would expect the real table would

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I'm able to suspend disbelief most times and just have fun with the game. I forget which one of you equated virtual pinball to masturbation and real pinball to sex, but that just about sums things up perfectly.

I do wish they would make some tweaks in a few tables... Scared Stiff is the most notable. I usually avoid it entirely because I don't feel like getting into a 30 minute+ game most of the time.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'm able to suspend disbelief most times and just have fun with the game. I forget which one of you equated virtual pinball to masturbation and real pinball to sex, but that just about sums things up perfectly.

I do wish they would make some tweaks in a few tables... Scared Stiff is the most notable. I usually avoid it entirely because I don't feel like getting into a 30 minute+ game most of the time.
I agree. The real table, unchanged, would have fit right in with the rest of the TPA tables. Further tweaking was unnecessary. The question is, why is it so much easier? There aren't a lot of kickouts and other randomization factors going on.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

I guess I can see that. Sometimes I play TPA quietly in bed after my wife falls asleep.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
You have to see ball spin in real life to see the crazy stuff that can happen, I had backspin tonight so it travelled up the playfield at speed only to unnaturally stop and come hurtling back down :D

I've played a table recently where the flippers give enough topspin that i can hit a bank of downward facing targets twice in one shot. Ball bounces 2-3 inches and rolls back up with enough force to drop another target...just wild.
Spin plays a major roll in pinball and is one thing any state-of-the-art physics engine should replicate.

Another thing I noticed that Zen actually captures is that snap the ball gets off the flipper and then the drop in speed when it hits certain things. Occaisonally it hits something rubber and just flies back down with the same snap but that's what TPA needs to recreate a little better.

I think I was to blame for that.
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2831-How-Big-Will-TPA-Get/page2?p=43557#post43557

I've actually changed my mind since and prefer mobile to console now since getting a decent tablet.

Although i still prefer the console, at first I hated playing on mobile but now that I've adjusted (and FS has improved the experience a lot since the original release), I quite enjoy playing on my GalaxyS3. Having more than 10 tables also helps.

N

Nik Barbour

I quite enjoy playing on my GalaxyS3. Having more than 10 tables also helps.

That was my major motivation for moving from console to Android too.
If you enjoy it on your phone, try it on a good tablet - it blew me away, how much more fluid the same game could feel on a tablet.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Just played a real SCARED STIFF WOW! FAST and brutal. You cannot hiit a leaper and go up a ramp, the skill shot is not automatic like TPA and the eyeball loop if hit to hard goes around to the left lane. Family mode off in the kids section of the video store next to a FAMILY GUY.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yup. Scared Stiff is not a forgiving machine in real life. I've never once filled the Stiff-o-meter, let alone had a game last for 45 minutes. The easiness of the TPA version cheapens the whole experience of the table... it's not even exciting to get to the wizard mode as it happens so often. I really hope they tweak that table especially sometime so that I actually want to play it.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Having played real versions of several TPA tables recently, I noticed I have to time my rampshots a little later than digitally.
Let's take Scared Stiff as an example. Digitally, if I 'up' the flipper when the ball is flowing halfway down the flipper, that'll give me a rampshot (left or right), but on the real table that'll sloppily send the ball towards the centre target (the crate). So what would digitally award me a ball-lock on the side, will resullt in a boney-beast ride.... time your shots a little later than you're digitally accustomed to.

Maybe other will deny/confirm this.... I'm curious.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
That was my major motivation for moving from console to Android too.
If you enjoy it on your phone, try it on a good tablet - it blew me away, how much more fluid the same game could feel on a tablet.

I just grabbed a nexus7 for just under 200$. And TPA was the first thing on it. Now I'm wondering just how I'm going to play it on my s3 any more.

This thing is pinball heaven. The shake nudging was pretty responsive on the phone but its flawless on this thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bagheera369

Mar 21, 2013
Yup. Scared Stiff is not a forgiving machine in real life. I've never once filled the Stiff-o-meter, let alone had a game last for 45 minutes. The easiness of the TPA version cheapens the whole experience of the table... it's not even exciting to get to the wizard mode as it happens so often. I really hope they tweak that table especially sometime so that I actually want to play it.

I had that realization at Texas Pinball Festival this weekend....my high on SS is 250,000,000 or so on pinball arcade. I walked into the TPF and couldn't break 20mil all weekend. i came 2 shots away from starting scared stiff countdown, but doubt i could have finished it. I have had virutal games where I completed scarred stiff 4 times in one game.

It was a really rude awakening to be honest. But that being said, I dont want them to ramp the difficulty up too much. While I like em a little realistic....I've actually learned alot about the play modes on tables because I can keep a ball in play long enough to see them.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I think it would be nice if the tables had a "realistic/forgiving" switch. SS definitely takes too long and I would put that on Realistic. ST:TNG is a total heartbreaker though, I might set that to forgiving. Of course this would blow the leaderboards to hell. Maybe only accept Realistic scores?

I play a fair amount of real pinball (I'm in a league) and real machines are Evil Quarter-Sucking BASTARDS.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.