Farsight Halloween Mod table (Ghostbusters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Couple of other things from the POTO twitch stream I just remembered.

- It definitely won't be a part of TPA, because "that's not what TPA is about". That came from Bobby King's mouth.
- Right now it's mobile only. PC/console release is something they're thinking about, but not too seriously it seems.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Farsight Halloween Mod table

Couple of other things from the POTO twitch stream I just remembered.

- It definitely won't be a part of TPA, because "that's not what TPA is about". That came from Bobby King's mouth.
- Right now it's mobile only. PC/console release is something they're thinking about, but not too seriously it seems.

Mobile is where IAPs live. This is about generating revenue, in my opinion.

I didn't expect it to be a mod of HH. I guess there's potential with the upper and lower playfields.

Last edited:

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
No different than Orbals or anything else. If you like it, play it. If not, ignore it. We'll still get our monthly TPA pin.
It's totally different than Orbals. Orbals has nothing to do with pinball it's a different game genre. A virtual pinball table would water down their brand. It may not bother you personally but there is a reason why companies are careful about their brands and this would be a classic no-no from a marketing perspective. People pay more than twice as much for TPA tables than Zen because they are pinball simulators of classic games, if they make themselves more like the cheaper alternative Zen Pinball than their higher price stands out more.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Interesting that they chose Haunted House to mod. It's not exactly the greatest layout in the world.

+3433765678
the worst table in TPA so far. While BH works just fine with double flippers and two levels, HH just sucks in everything that works in BH.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
well, they can't go wrong with this one. It can't be worst than it already is.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Is this going to be released on Steam? Farsight makes it seem as though it's going to be mobile only, which means they won't be getting my money. Can't stand playing much of anything on a tiny iPhone screen.

If it were on Steam on the other hand, I'd gladly pay $5 or so to have it as a special TPA DLC table, separate from the regular licensed seasons.

You're not they money they're going after. It's not going to be that kind of table.

They aren't releasing it for people to buy outright. Every indication is that it'll be a free app, I imagine with a limited trial of "free play", with the option to buy tokens to play X amount of games. There are thousands of these apps on iOS and Android, and they can be cash cows.

Like SYT said, if they can make Haunted House into something people want to play over and over, that'll be a pretty good accomplishment.

karl

May 10, 2012
HH would not be my first choice but it could work, I suppose.

Bobby said that this is something they did very fast, so do not expect something grand with dmd or an intricate rule-set. It's a fun little Halloween mod of an existing table and nothing more, is my guess. If it sells really well they might do more but as of now it is a one off fun thing they did in a hurry because they got a cool license unexpectedly.

I believe they choose a Gotlieb because Williams is much more careful with their licenses and they would probably not allow any mod versions of their tables. If they did however allow it, we could have mod versions of all the big ones that Farsight is not able to do. Now that would be really interesting to me.

PS! Why this one off table bothers some people is beyond me. I will buy it to support them. It has the same physics and layout as a real table, so why not. But if anyone think it is a bad idea, just skip it. Nothing to get worked up about. Think of it as a Halloween gift you do not want and move on ;)

Stay cool, Daddy-o :cool:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Bobby said that this is something they did very fast, so do not expect something grand with dmd or an intricate rule-set. It's a fun little Halloween mod of an existing table and nothing more, is my guess. If it sells really well they might do more but as of now it is a one off fun thing they did in a hurry because they got a cool license unexpectedly.

That's kind of my worry (not that I have much invested in this table being good). I'm concerned it will just seem like a Zen table without the graphical polish or attention to detail in terms of integrating the franchise. Just take a table, stick a few ramps on it, probably remove the excess flippers, stick a few toys and we're done.

Like I said, I don't care too much, but my gut says this is how it will turn out.

And anyway, the only real advantage digital pinball has over the real thing is the low cost. If they implement a credit scheme, then that is gone as well and there's no reason not to go to the arcade. But as has been said, we're not the target audience here.

Flotilla

Nov 6, 2013
You're not they money they're going after. It's not going to be that kind of table.

They aren't releasing it for people to buy outright. Every indication is that it'll be a free app, I imagine with a limited trial of "free play", with the option to buy tokens to play X amount of games. There are thousands of these apps on iOS and Android, and they can be cash cows.

Like SYT said, if they can make Haunted House into something people want to play over and over, that'll be a pretty good accomplishment.

Well, that stinks. I bought TPA's season packs to get away from that sort of microtransaction system, so they won't be getting a cent out of me.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
How many times does it have to be said?

This is a completely different app from TPA. There are not any microtransactions in TPA. This is not a table that even meets the requirements for being in TPA, in that it is not a production table from any manufacturer. In no way does this impact seasons you have bought. It is a separate thing!

Get off the idea that this has anything to do with TPA. Yes, it's by the same studio. Yes, it's pinball. But it is NOT The Pinball Arcade. I'm amazed at the vitriol that can be spit out towards FarSight without having seen or played anything. This is an experiment, not a course change. For all any of us knows, maybe it becomes a huge success for them. What if through it's success, we never had to worry about a kickstarter for big license tables any more? They have plans for doing this kind of app for Twilight Zone and ST:TNG too. That won't change ANYTHING about your already owning or your future ability to own those tables in TPA. But if it proves that a larger revenue stream can make those tables profitable even with FS ponying up the money for the license, isn't that a good thing?

My god, enough of the doomsday speak! Try thinking outside the box, and imagine the benefits for a change. Plenty of people think FS should stop dipping into the crowd funding well, and maybe, just maybe, this is part of their plan to do so.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
here's my two cents

I will check it out, why, because I love ghosbusters.

now, if it's a freemium stuff and I don't like it, It will go in the dumpster for me.
If I like it, awesome.

And if it happens I don't like it, I won't waste time talking about stuff I don't like, I prefer talk about stuff that I do like ^^

Sooooo, best thing to do, wait for news and see it in action.
And yeah, it's not TPA, so... not TPA... did I say it's not TPA?

^^

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
How many times does it have to be said?

This is a completely different app from TPA. There are not any microtransactions in TPA. This is not a table that even meets the requirements for being in TPA, in that it is not a production table from any manufacturer. In no way does this impact seasons you have bought. It is a separate thing!

Get off the idea that this has anything to do with TPA. Yes, it's by the same studio. Yes, it's pinball. But it is NOT The Pinball Arcade. I'm amazed at the vitriol that can be spit out towards FarSight without having seen or played anything. This is an experiment, not a course change. For all any of us knows, maybe it becomes a huge success for them. What if through it's success, we never had to worry about a kickstarter for big license tables any more? They have plans for doing this kind of app for Twilight Zone and ST:TNG too. That won't change ANYTHING about your already owning or your future ability to own those tables in TPA. But if it proves that a larger revenue stream can make those tables profitable even with FS ponying up the money for the license, isn't that a good thing?

My god, enough of the doomsday speak! Try thinking outside the box, and imagine the benefits for a change. Plenty of people think FS should stop dipping into the crowd funding well, and maybe, just maybe, this is part of their plan to do so.

Stop stalling and get on Hearthstone. I know you're afraid, but this is getting ridiculous! :p

curtisrollo

Jun 9, 2013
Ghostbusters table

WoW! I just read the newsletter about the Ghostbusters table. This is totally massive news! Does anyone have more info on it? Will it feature other parts of the movie, like Bill Murray Multiball mode?

I'm just a little miffed they got such a great license, but seemed like just re-themed an existing table (Family Guy and South Park table all over again). Can't they get Pat Lawlor to design a new table? Is that too much to ask for?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I don't understand all the negativity for a new table to play on. And being the initial original table test it gives an opportunity to provide feedback to improve on what they're doing for the next one.

That said the first image from the table is in the Newsletter and I'm not sure if that's going to improve feelings here. It certainly looks like they modded Haunted House as there are toys all over the place in the screencap. It looks a bit gaudy to me but its not a good shot of the entire table, and a small image to boot. So we'll see as more screencaps are released.

Here's the description:

"Our Ghostbusters themed table will be free to download and free to play. Tokens are needed for each game, but you get 10 to start with and you earn at least one token each day. People with the Pinball Arcade installed earn two tokens per day!

The table is based on the hit movie released in 1984 and its sequel. This game puts you in control of the Ghostbusters crew, featuring Egon, Peter, Ray and Winston, as they battle paranormal foes in New York City. The Playfield is divided into three levels representing iconic settings from the movies: the city, rooftop and subway. Use eight flippers to move the ball through the three levels by shooting up and down ramps, tubes and a manhole as you build up a huge Ghost Bonus. Raise the Slimer Pop Bumper to reveal a ball lock for Multi-Ball and then cross the streams on the roof to destroy the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!

We're proud of how it turned out. Our hope is that people enjoy it and that this type of stand-alone app will introduce fans of Ghostbusters to pinball and to the Pinball Arcade.

The Ghostbuster app should be available before the end of October.

We hope you like it!"

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Hopefully, the credits needed to play the table won't hamper enjoyment of the game. I'd love the ability to at some point be able to purchase the table outright instead of having to use a credit-based system...but that would also depend on how good the table actually was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts