Request Farsight: Kickstarter for Cactus Canyon

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Here's a wild idea that just came to me. What if Farsight actually paid the programmers of Cactus Canyon to finish the table ROM for the upcoming PBA release?

Going a step further, not only would this "complete" rom be available first in PBA, but it could also be flashed into a ROM for actual, real Cactus Canyon machine!

You'd have not only the kickstarter support from the PBA fans, but also from the real collectors. And considering a Cactus Canyon is upwards of 10 grand +, we know they have deep pockets!

Huh, huh? Brilliant idea wouldn't you say fellas?

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
Seems unlikely in my opinion, but certainly an interesting suggestion. I would love a more complete ROM for CC.

It raises a couple questions, as well. Who would maintain the rights to this ROM? How much would they sell it for? Furthermore, how would they distribute it in a way that prevents piracy? It seems this would be very tricky to pull off.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
It's still an awesome table even in its incomplete form. Isn't there a rumor that a complete rom does exist in one of the creator's machines? Probably not true, but it sure would be nice if it were and he could unleash it on the world in TPA.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Here's a wild idea that just came to me. What if Farsight actually paid the programmers of Cactus Canyon to finish the table ROM for the upcoming PBA release?

Going a step further, not only would this "complete" rom be available first in PBA, but it could also be flashed into a ROM for actual, real Cactus Canyon machine!

You'd have not only the kickstarter support from the PBA fans, but also from the real collectors. And considering a Cactus Canyon is upwards of 10 grand +, we know they have deep pockets!

Huh, huh? Brilliant idea wouldn't you say fellas?

Just what we need...another freakin' kickstarter, when some of us don't know when or even if we will get the DLC past pack 3 or even the first kickstarter table.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
That's not because Farsight hasn't been working on the 360 version... that's because Microsoft is insane and wants $40k for every update and patch. How the hell is a small developer supposed to pay that?

Hopefully things will change next generation. Nintendo is starting things off very well and making the Wii U eShop super Indie friendly... developers can patch and update almost as often as they want at zero expense, set their own prices, have sales whenever they want... there is, of course, still going to be an approval process for QA purposes, though.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's just a wild idea I don't expect them to actually do this kickstarter.

There are more kickstarts coming. Terminator, Simpsons, and the mention of Adams in the TZ description, maybe that too.

As for 360 tables, the 40k isn't the problem. All the dlc is coming they are working on securing a publisher.

Wii U has a super weak CPU. Considering these are vry CPU intensive games I'm not sure if that version of tpa will be very good.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I've heard that it is disappointingly slow, but I'm sure it's more than adequate for TPA. The processor in my Galaxy Nexus is a lot slower than that of the Wii U, but the game runs without a hitch on the thing.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I've heard that it is disappointingly slow, but I'm sure it's more than adequate for TPA. The processor in my Galaxy Nexus is a lot slower than that of the Wii U, but the game runs without a hitch on the thing.

Yes but the graphics and lighting are scaled back considerably on mobile compared to the console release.

If it was built from the ground up on Wii U I bet it'd be the best looking console version due to the DX10 GPU. But if they are just simply porting 360 code it might not turn out as good. Who knows, I figure 360 DLC will finally be ready by then anyway.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Graphics and lighting ought to be all GPU stuff; the CPU would be handling physics and emulation. The original Wii did plenty well with the physics in Pinball Hall of Fame; it was an older, perhaps less accurate engine, but it was good enough for decent gameplay.

It didn't have any emulated tables, but my phone runs those and it's got to be a relatively feeble processor.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Right and like I said, built from the ground up it could potentially be the nicest console version of TPA. However if they are porting 360 code there will be CPU issues that could result in dropped frames leading to even more dreaded "through the flipper" glitches and whatnot.

All the 360/PS3 to Wii U ports have had framerate issues on Wii U. It has trouble with native code built around faster, in order CPU's. You clearly need to build your engine around Wii U's architecture or else the port is going to suffer, as evident with the first Wii U ports (Batman, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed). Sega Sumo was the only company so far that clearly built with Wii U in mind as Sega Sonic Racing is the best on Wii U. I'm hoping for the best but considering what a small team Farsight is it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up the weakest console version (not counting Ouya).

We'll see it's all just speculation until the game is in our hands.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
That's not because Farsight hasn't been working on the 360 version... that's because Microsoft is insane and wants $40k for every update and patch. How the hell is a small developer supposed to pay that?

Hopefully things will change next generation. Nintendo is starting things off very well and making the Wii U eShop super Indie friendly... developers can patch and update almost as often as they want at zero expense, set their own prices, have sales whenever they want... there is, of course, still going to be an approval process for QA purposes, though.

Never suggested once that it wasn't because FS was not working on it-I know that most of their early preview videos (up to pack 5) were done on a 360, and they look, sound, and if the first 10 tables are any indication, play great. I'm not giving up my 360 (partial thanks to Cave Co.), but unless something radical happens or someone at FS at least comes clean with a known timeframe for new DLC, I'm deleting PA and going to another system once I get the money to buy one.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Never suggested once that it wasn't because FS was not working on it-I know that most of their early preview videos (up to pack 5) were done on a 360, and they look, sound, and if the first 10 tables are any indication, play great. I'm not giving up my 360 (partial thanks to Cave Co.), but unless something radical happens or someone at FS at least comes clean with a known timeframe for new DLC, I'm deleting PA and going to another system once I get the money to buy one.

Farsight has been hinting (or maybe I'm reading too much into their comments) that Twilight Zone is coming to Xbox soon, with the other tables to follow shortly after. I'm not popping the cork on the champagne or anything, but I think good news is coming soon.

I feel your pain though. I'd have certainly gotten a PS3 by now if I didn't have an iPhone to hold me over. The new releases are much less frustrating than the old iOS ones, thankfully making the wait much more bearable. And shoutouts to a fellow fan of Cave STG's :)

okurka

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Farsight has been hinting (or maybe I'm reading too much into their comments) that Twilight Zone is coming to Xbox soon, with the other tables to follow shortly after.
I doubt Farsight knows the real meaning of the word soon, they have been saying that about a 360 release for over 2 months now.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I doubt Farsight knows the real meaning of the word soon, they have been saying that about a 360 release for over 2 months now.

By soon I think they just mean that it will be the next table released on the xbox once they have a distributor...when that will be is anyone's guess because FS isn't going to talk about ongoing negotiations or contracts.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

As someone who's been waiting for 'The Last Guardian' for the last, oh I don't know, 5 or so years, I think FS is still doing relatively well!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
2 months ago the newsletter said "TBA" and we had zero dates and it was all wild speculation. I made 5 threads about it I think. Maybe 7. And I think I mentioned it in every post on the board. My girlfriend and I argued about it. I punched a guy on the street over it. I denounced my religion. These were bad times.

Then about a month ago they finally admitted that Crave was out of business and they needed a publisher.

Then one of our insiders said, about 3 weeks ago, that the "news he got this week was better than what he'd heard 2 weeks ago". Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, sounds positive! Right? Right??!? *crickets*

As recently as the last week or so they MENTIONEDTHE PLATFORM (OMG), which trust me, is like incredible considering they haven't told us anything in months. For Farsight to actually say "Xbox" and "Release" together in the same sentence this past week is, well, it's something I guess. Can ya tell I'm digging at straws?

I don't know the legality or the logistics of the whole current circumstances but I'd say it's getting time to tell us SOMETHING. If there's not some kind of time frame given to us in the next newsletter I'm probably going to let my angry Grinch mode come out, screw holiday cheer it's going to be complete a-hole mode and Farsight is on my naughty list.

Last edited:

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Doesn't everybody have a smartphone and/or tablet by now? The console versions are clearly superior, but the game plays just fine on Android/iOS. It's worth paying twice to get the tables right away and be able to play them on your lunchbreak.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts