Favorite DMD animations, let's hear 'em

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
So many choices, so little time...

• AC/DC: The start of Shook Me All Night Long, in which a girl sticks her arm out of the car and beckons with her finger, and the AC/DC devil runs and jumps into the car, followed by much shaking.
  • AFM: The Extra Ball animation, and also the missile shot on the UFO leading up to regulation Multiball.
  • Family Guy: Sexy Party, where Stewie is leading the girls around. Becomes quite hilarious if you're doing well and have a train of 14 or 15 girls chasing Stewie.
  • Monster Bash: The Bride's second warmup, where she sings and the glass "shatters".
  • No Good Gofers: The MX missile chasing the gophers around during Cart Attack.
  • Twilight Zone: The DMD sequence that starts Lost in the Zone. Also, during Clock Chaos, when you make a shot a ball hits the little Invader turning the clock and knocks him over. He gets up and shakes his fist at you before resuming winding the clock.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
When Dracula was released, operators clamored around the machine to see if the gas plasma display was somehow made with red gas. But they then found out that it was just a red mask over the Orange display.

Hence the demand for Orange displays.

Have you priced a ColorDMD?

I looked into them, and the idea is cool, but I think I would want to see one in person first. Aren't they just single game replacements for real cabs? I'm not sure if it would be a good buy for a pincab. Plus there's the authenticity thing, I might want orange just to have something with the right feel to it. Lastly, I think I heard someone say they are just cheap LED screens? Not that a DMD is the gold standard for video resolution, but I do want it to look as much like the real thing as possible.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I looked into them, and the idea is cool, but I think I would want to see one in person first. Aren't they just single game replacements for real cabs? I'm not sure if it would be a good buy for a pincab. Plus there's the authenticity thing, I might want orange just to have something with the right feel to it. Lastly, I think I heard someone say they are just cheap LED screens? Not that a DMD is the gold standard for video resolution, but I do want it to look as much like the real thing as possible.
No, they have "Sigma" displays now that can be flashed with a multicolor display ROM for any of their supported games, or that can be used as a single-color (49 different color options) display for almost any WPC/WPC95 game. I have a ColorDMD in my Twilight Zone set to white and I love it. You can see a picture of it here.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
No, they have "Sigma" displays now that can be flashed with a multicolor display ROM for any of their supported games, or that can be used as a single-color (49 different color options) display for almost any WPC/WPC95 game. I have a ColorDMD in my Twilight Zone set to white and I love it. You can see a picture of it here.

Thanks for the info! I don't suppose you can edit the color information yourself? That would be awesome.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for the info! I don't suppose you can edit the color information yourself? That would be awesome.
You can choose which of the 49 colors it uses, and there are some interpolation/scanline settings to play with that can lead to interesting visual effects (although I've always preferred the "classic dots"). But I don't think there's a way for users to create their own multicolor ROM yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts