"First" impressions

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Magnets....much too powerful. I've had hard flipper shots regularly stopped dead and returned, and that shouldn't happen.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
well to be fair those power magnets are a worst case physics problem, and probably require more cpu then mobile has to do correctly. :)

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
well to be fair those power magnets are a worst case physics problem, and probably require more cpu then mobile has to do correctly. :)

I would disagree. I've always played the VP version, and despite it's age, the magnets seems to work correctly. Also, the flippers are correct as well. The TPA version's flippers are too weak.

If you watch the PAPA.org video of TAF, you'll see exactly what I mean. I applaud Farsight for the version, but it's all wrong IMO.

May 23, 2014
I thought I was going mad, but it appears the Power fires once in a while when simply shooting the bear ramp from a dead ball on flipper, and not in pre-multiball or Seance mode. If the real game is like this, it's no wonder they disconnect this feature in tournaments.

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
I'm not quite sure what you mean or at least I haven't seen it. Is the Power activating when simply shooting the bear kick ramp from a trap? It should only be active during Seance and when Mansion Multiball is either lit or [edit: any Multiball] is running. btw, a big part of the reason the power was disabled in the last PAPA tourney that featured TAF was because Cryss Stephens had timed the power out Every Time in the previous tourney. It worked well for him, but led to very long and boring play. I'll admit do doing this myself on occasion, especially with the super aggressive power on TPA.

Last edited:

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I thought I was going mad, but it appears the Power fires once in a while when simply shooting the bear ramp from a dead ball on flipper, and not in pre-multiball or Seance mode. If the real game is like this, it's no wonder they disconnect this feature in tournaments.

Are you holding the ball on the flipper so long that the system starts the Ball Search routine?

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Most likely you grazed the right rubber on the chair while trying to shoot the bear kick ramp, causing a surprising deflection to the right and sending the ball around the loop. the power does NOT randomly pulse when not it.

And yes it's usually turned off for tournaments now because otherwise people WILL time it out, even in multiball.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Most likely you grazed the right rubber on the chair while trying to shoot the bear kick ramp, causing a surprising deflection to the right and sending the ball around the loop. the power does NOT randomly pulse when not it.

And yes it's usually turned off for tournaments now because otherwise people WILL time it out, even in multiball.

To bad there is not an op setting to make the power NOT turn off with the time out trick for tournament play

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Magnets....much too powerful. I've had hard flipper shots regularly stopped dead and returned, and that shouldn't happen.

In the "pro tips" it mentions a way to temporarily turn off the power/magnets. Cradle the ball and hold for About ten seconds until the stats start rolling, this will turn off the magnets for your next shot however after you hit something or go up a ramp they will turn on again. I haven't tried yet, just read it earlier today. I guess if one is very patient and accurate you could really use this to your advantage. I'd post a screen shot of the tip if someone tells me how to post a picture. A couple guys told me a while ago but I've forgotten. Senility sucks!!

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014

Sorry they are so small. I selected resize for message boards. What size should I select? Used post image.org

Last edited:

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
In the "pro tips" it mentions a way to temporarily turn off the power/magnets. Cradle the ball and hold for About ten seconds until the stats start rolling, this will turn off the magnets for your next shot however after you hit something or go up a ramp they will turn on again. I haven't tried yet, just read it earlier today. I guess if one is very patient and accurate you could really use this to your advantage. I'd post a screen shot of the tip if someone tells me how to post a picture. A couple guys told me a while ago but I've forgotten. Senility sucks!!

It's not that I/we don't know that tip. It's the fact the magnets are too strong. Again, watch a video of the real table. It interferes with the ball path, but nowhere near the strength the TPA version does. Having a full power flipper shot stopped dead in it's tracks is something I've never seen in AF, either in my own limited play of the real table or otherwise.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
It must be my imagination but it seemed when they released version 16, the magnets seemed weaker and the table easier to play. Then again it might be my imagination.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
It's not that I/we don't know that tip. It's the fact the magnets are too strong. Again, watch a video of the real table. It interferes with the ball path, but nowhere near the strength the TPA version does. Having a full power flipper shot stopped dead in it's tracks is something I've never seen in AF, either in my own limited play of the real table or otherwise.

I agree. They are VERY strong and I was sure most of you knew that it could be done via pro settings, was just trying to help out someone who perhaps didn't.

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
Feels a bit to old. I don´t understand the theme. Maybe you really must be an addams family fan to really enjoy this. Layout is okay but it just lack fun gimmicks and I don´t know why I do stuff. I love the after drain score though. It just plain odd to read it may be the best pinball ever made. Hard to fathom why anybody would think that :)

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
Feels a bit to old. I don´t understand the theme. Maybe you really must be an addams family fan to really enjoy this. Layout is okay but it just lack fun gimmicks and I don´t know why I do stuff. I love the after drain score though. It just plain odd to read it may be the best pinball ever made. Hard to fathom why anybody would think that :)
I started a thread way back about this and the first post has some videos and if you scroll down a bit, reply #10 states why I think it's the most fun table I've played.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/83

trunchbull

Sep 21, 2015
"High energy" is definitely what I associate Addams Family pinball with. I think a lot of that has to do with Raul Julia's voice acting, but the great layout and superb player direction really help - once you kind of figure out where everything is, you really feel like you're in tune with the game. I always get goosebumps playing this, especially in real life.

Zevious Zoquis

Jul 27, 2013

I'm with you man. Bought this one recently expecting a great table based on all the positive press about it but I don't find it any fun at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts