First Wizard of Oz

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I have no idea how the distributor managed to do this, but he did! We have a Wizard of Oz right here in my hometown :) afaik it is one of only five delivered to Europe.

The machine plays awesome, has 100% Bally/Williams mechanical parts and is just fun to play. Due to its massive amount of LEDs you don't even need a light when working under the playfield, as my friend shows ;)

True, there are still missing features (modes that are indicated on the playfield with decals, you just can't start them anywhere) and quite a few bugs - yet it is a great game!

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2GWZuqDGw11IT

Cheers,
Mario.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I've been lucky enough to play it on 3 separate occasions now and it really is beautiful to look at.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Gonna update it tomorrow to 1.14... You can't enter your initials with the current 1.12 :) I'm scratching my head how something essential could not be implemented in the initial release... :)

Spend like 40 euros already... But earning a free game just is something special if you'd paid for playing.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I played it recently at the DPA clubhouse where the distributor set it up to promote it. Although the license still doesn't stand out to me (in Holland it's definitely known but not a "classic" thing). It played really good. You can feel the quality right away, sturdy yet smooth. It also plays intuitive and the combination of audio hints and directions from the big LCD screen help a lot to know what to gun for. It's a beautiful LED light show that can change the whole mood in an instant. There are also a couple of nice innovations like being able to "earn" back a drained ball by shooting a timed skill shot. It should be a killer table when finished properly. Software has yet to be finished. Anyway,always nice to see a new table, I hope they get one for our clubhouse!
Slam23

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
I want that shirt with all the pinball logos on the back. So jealous!!!! What a beautiful table. I amazingly have never played it. I didn't miss playing too many of the most epic tables out there, but I missed playing that one somehow. I would vote on it in a heartbeat to get it into TPA.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I want that shirt with all the pinball logos on the back. So jealous!!!!

This is the one Markus got from the world championship this year in Germany. So all you have to do is to get in the top 64 worldwide or at least number two in your country :)

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
This is the one Markus got from the world championship this year in Germany. So all you have to do is to get in the top 64 worldwide or at least number two in your country :)

ROFL

Glad it's so simple to get one. LOL Well deserved shirt I have to say then. That is a shirt that makes any pinballer want one. It's absolutely awesome looking! :)

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
LOL! For a MB and a CV I'll rip it off for you :) For us mortals, the black papa shirt isn't so bad either... :)

But yeah, he earned it. And he was a PITA for Daniele, although he lost to him in the quarterfinal... Though I play in the same league (literally), I really DO NOT play in the same league - he is awesome :)

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
My experience with WoZ wasn't so good. Its at Enchanted Castle in Lombard, IL and they have about 20 pinball machines there (mainly Stern). When they got WOZ they made it the highlight in the room as you walk in. The actual Wizard of Oz movie was being projected on the ball wall behind the pin to get you in the mood. But the room is dark. Normally this is great for pinball machines but the table illumination on WOZ is horrible. The LEDs look fantastic and so bright but the general illumination on the table is terrible. The LEDs apparently don't provide general illumination so there's all these dark areas, particularly right in the center above the flippers. So while playing I was having some major trouble following the ball. One moment you're blinded by the LEDs and the next the ball is falling through a dark area and you're not sure exactly where it is. So its mainly playing by instinct which isn't fun at a $1 a pop. It also felt like the flippers were weak, particularly compared to some of the other tables there.

Hopefully they can fix the general lighting issue. I really wanted to play the table but that just killed it for me. That was a few weeks ago and I plan on going back this weekend so will see if there's any improvement.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, I agree, the default flipper strength is too low. I think they set it so low, because of the noise... You can adjust the strength in the menu.
And I totally agree with you on the GI. It's a shame you can't adjust brightness of the insert LEDs and GI anywhere. I hope the next software version can do that... Don't laugh, but I played with my phone resting on the lockbar running a flash lamp app, so could see anything at night :)

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I was recently in Seattle and saw one of these... I didn't play it though as I was busy on other tables. But it's really a nice looking machine.

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
I do have to agree with the comment about the lighting on Wizard of Oz. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but the game isn't perfect. At one point, I turned to my wife (who was about as excited as I was) and said "The LEDs are so bright that makes seeing the rest of the game tough to see sometimes." At times it felt like the game would benefit from playing with brighter ambient light.

Another issue on the table I played: I never had the chance to shoot the lit Toto shot after draining, as the game took several attempts to kick the ball back up onto the table.

Again, it's not a perfect game, but I did really have a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
JJP is very well aware of these 'bugs'. I really await the 2.0 major update, with the wizard mode :) that toto stuff is fixed by 1.14 as I know... But I could be wrong :)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I believe they made the GI adjustable in update 1.18 a couple weeks ago as well. Although I'veheard it still isn't bright enough.

Hopefully the Hobbit doesn't have that issue.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
i'm really happy for JJP that you guys all love WOX so much, but here in the UK, most people i know who've played it think it's kind of slow and dull : looks like TZ, plays like XF

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It looks beautiful and feels like a tank but I didn't enjoy playing it. I'm more interested in what the Hobbit will be like.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.