Request Hi res, reflections and other advanced shader effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
I was wondering when some of the more advanced graphical effects are going to come to android, the devices (as in the past year or so) definitely have enough power for at least high resolution playfields. I took a look at the game on IOS and it does in fact look a lot more polished and I know that even semi current android devices are capable of rendering such effects with little problem depending on the particular shader algorithms that are being used.

So are there any plans to bring things like this to android?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I was wondering when some of the more advanced graphical effects are going to come to android, the devices (as in the past year or so) definitely have enough power for at least high resolution playfields. I took a look at the game on IOS and it does in fact look a lot more polished and I know that even semi current android devices are capable of rendering such effects with little problem depending on the particular shader algorithms that are being used.

So are there any plans to bring things like this to android?

I'd love to see "just one" table (a real performance intensive one) enabled for high poly counts. Just one. Get a real idea about just how many devices can cope with punching out the 60 fps required for correct physics along with high poly count models.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
As long as there is a toggle switch - I'm fairly happy as it is personally especially since the mip-mapping option was added.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
As long as there is a toggle switch - I'm fairly happy as it is personally especially since the mip-mapping option was added.

Mip mapping has made a huge difference to graphics quality. The sharpness is noticeable on HD screens.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Mip mapping has made a huge difference to graphics quality. The sharpness is noticeable on HD screens.

I actually find it more noticeable on my Non-HD N7 mk1, than my SGS4.

The text sharpness on the playfield now, means every minute scrap of script, or any detail, is pretty much readable on a 7" tab when playing in portrait - which in itself is my primary reason for favouring TPA on a Tablet as opposed to the consoles or PC which are currently limited to landscape.
Portrait is the natural shape dictated by the shape of the table itself.
I couldn't go back to landscape again, despite owning a console.

I'm happy 'as is' mobile graphics wise personally, but rather than having higher poly count models, I'd prefer to follow Night's suggestions of better shaded and artificially lit tables.
Whirlwind was a recent all time TPA low for me personally. Mars Attacks is absolutely beautiful though.

Higher polys would mean more people are left excluded from a hardware point of view, with very little benefit gained.

Smarter and better quality graphics artists though, means everyone benefits exponentially more, and with no hardware losers.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
on the mipmapping subject. Does anyone see any performance hit when it is OFF? Does anyone see any visual weirdness with it OFF? I am wondering if I should default it to off if both answers are no...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
on the mipmapping subject. Does anyone see any performance hit when it is OFF? Does anyone see any visual weirdness with it OFF? I am wondering if I should default it to off if both answers are no...

I don't see any performance or visual weirdness when it is off.

Nexus 7 2013

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

No performance drop noticed on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with it turned off.

Is there a way to turn on a frame counter to know for sure?

N

netizen

On lower end devices like my Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch there is a noticeable performance hit with mipmapping OFF

On my Nexus 10 there is some difference in transparency and overdraw(?) smoothness with it set to OFF. The most noticeable issue of this is the mixmaster ramp on Dr Dude. At the top of the ramp, where it makes the bend and curves to the actual mix master the ramp presents with far more 'jaggies' than usual. Enabling the MSAA4x in the developer options corrects this a bit, but not to the level of 'smoothness' that is normally present.

IDK if defaulting it to OFF would be a good idea as that may create (more) bad ratings on the play store from lower end device users without a detailed changelog both in "what's new" as well as in the play store app description, and the way to access them.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

Nope - nothing with either of my devices.
But... I'd agree with Netizen, and leave the default as 'On' to be on the safe side.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
No performance drop noticed on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with it turned off.

Is there a way to turn on a frame counter to know for sure?

Idk about amazon's stripped down version of android, but on must android devices under the developer options there should be an FPS counter option

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
What does the FPS help? Also if in case of different settings the FPS a little lower or higher: if all things looking good and you don't feel anything during play like stuttering etc. its enough. and good. For example the A510 has in every case a max FPS of 60. This is about the HDMI port and the Tab can not handle 2 different screens (internal and external) .

Gesendet von meinem A510 mit Tapatalk 4

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Most people like the highest FPS possible up to a certain point, beyond which it becomes not worth it. I personally would like my games running at the screen's native refresh rate if it is at all possible because the lower your FPS is the more you can tell it's not real motion

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Idk about amazon's stripped down version of android....

I've tried everything and can't seem to access the dev menu on the kindle.
"Build Number" is not even on the list in Device->About

I was hoping to mess with the AA choice but no luck yet.

Performance seems ok with either setting though, the bad ones are still bad and the good ones are still good :) I do feel a slight difference but it's mostly when the tables are loading, but in no case would I call it a game-changer.

I would possibly suggest it could be explained a bit more in some expanded help function. For lack of that, a popup when you first change it explaining the difference or at the least a hotlink to a more info page.

Last edited:

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
What does mip mapping do? I just noticed it in the options and experimented with it on and off for several tables, with mixed results.

I'm using samsung galaxy s (sch-i405) , yes I need a new phone.

I noticed that with mip mapping OFF it looks more grainy, a sort of over sharpness effect going on. I can't tell if it performs better or not. Sometimes I think it does. At first I thought for sure it was running better with mip mapping OFF. I'll keep experimenting and update if I notice anything else.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
What does mip mapping do? I just noticed it in the options and experimented with it on and off for several tables, with mixed results.

I'm using samsung galaxy s (sch-i405) , yes I need a new phone.

I noticed that with mip mapping OFF it looks more grainy, a sort of over sharpness effect going on. I can't tell if it performs better or not. Sometimes I think it does. At first I thought for sure it was running better with mip mapping OFF. I'll keep experimenting and update if I notice anything else.

Ryan explains here... Post#39
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/5851-Pack-18-quick-test/page2?p=102965#post102965

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Idk about amazon's stripped down version of android, but on must android devices under the developer options there should be an FPS counter option

Where would the Developer's option be found?

The Kindle Fire HD' s Android build may be streamlined/optimized for the Kindle, but that certainly doesn't mean the developer should make it underpowered compared to the Android counterpart.

Quite the contrary actually. When a developer knows that all of the users will be playing on only Kindle devices that should help them when bugtesting, knowing they don't have to test their code on 50 different setups.

I can also run the Android version on my Kindle HD, but just don't know where to look for the dev options or FPS counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.