High Speed or The Getaway: High Speed II?

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
I'd be very surprised if one or both of these never made it into the Pinball Arcade. I've only seen video of The Getaway on Chris Bucci's Youtube channel but his description of High Speed and what I saw of The Getaway made them look like they'd be incredibly fun to play.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
There is nothing quite like a perfectly maintained supercharger mechanism flinging that ball around. Having that part working at is peak every time you start the table up in TPA will be something I very much look forward to experiencing again.

If you have felt the force exerted on the pinball machine as that ball flies around the supercharger, you get why this table must be in the collection.

I'm sure someone has clocked a ball going around the supercharger. I'm guessing it would be >100 km/h.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I'd be willing to bet that High Speed is in works. It is one of the ground-breaking machines (first musical soundtrack) in pinball lore. Other machines I can see coming:

F14 Tomcat
Earthshaker
BK2000
HS2

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
There is nothing quite like a perfectly maintained supercharger mechanism flinging that ball around. Having that part working at is peak every time you start the table up in TPA will be something I very much look forward to experiencing again.

If you have felt the force exerted on the pinball machine as that ball flies around the supercharger, you get why this table must be in the collection.

I'm sure someone has clocked a ball going around the supercharger. I'm guessing it would be >100 km/h.

That supercharger definitely ramps up the excitement and fun. But I'd really like both of them. And if they plan on doing both, then I'd prefer they come out in order. If they are only doing one, then make it The Getaway.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I'd be willing to bet that High Speed is in works. It is one of the ground-breaking machines (first musical soundtrack) in pinball lore. Other machines I can see coming:

F14 Tomcat
Earthshaker
BK2000
HS2

I would very much love to see all five of those tables, and I'd add the one my brother most wants to see, Red & Ted's Roadshow to the list as well.

With respect to High Speed vs. High Speed II, while yes, I'd love both tables, if I could only have one, it would be the original. That's the table that really drew me into pinball when I was young. Oh, sure, we'd stop at Sam's Town in Cameron Park on the way to Lake Tahoe and play on their enormous collection of old Gottlieb EM machines (back when they weren't THAT old), but I never got a passion for pinball until I started playing High Speed in my local Gold Mine arcade.

If Jay Obernolte, Bobby King and I were sitting down to a nice steak dinner and they leaned over and asked me sincerely what ONE table from any manufacturer or designer or era I want to see added to The Pinball Arcade, it would be the original High Speed for this reason.

Not only was it the first table with a soundtrack, it was the first table with a story. Before High Speed, every table was just "hit those bumpers", "clear those targets", "spin that spinner", "light that lamp", "get the ball in that hole", etc. High Speed was the first table that had a veritable narrative arc: "turn the traffic light yellow", "turn the traffic light red", "run the red light to get the cops chasing you", "get away from the cops". The historic nature of the addition of this level of depth can't be overstated. FarSight has often said (quite rightly) that in addition to just making a video game that's fun to play, they want to function as a digital museum of pinball in order to bring pinball to a whole new generation of fans. The history behind High Speed demands that it be included in the collection.

Do I want to enjoy that supercharger and shifting gears and all the rest of it? You bet. But, I'd give that up if I knew I could only have one of the two.

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I'd really like to see them come at similar times, much like the Elvira tables (Party Monsters one month and then Scared Stiff the other) and the Universal Monsters (Monster Bash one month, Creature from the Black Lagoon the next). It'd give us a month to get used to the mechanics of the original before mixing it up in the next table.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I would very much love to see all five of those tables, and I'd add the one my brother most wants to see, Red & Ted's Roadshow to the list as well.

With respect to High Speed vs. High Speed II, while yes, I'd love both tables, if I could only have one, it would be the original. That's the table that really drew me into pinball when I was young. Oh, sure, we'd stop at Sam's Town in Cameron Park on the way to Lake Tahoe and play on their enormous collection of old Gottlieb EM manchines (back when they weren't THAT old), but I never got a passion for pinball until I started playing High Speed in my local Gold Mine arcade.

If Jay Obernolte, Bobby King and I were sitting down to a nice steak dinner and they leaned over and asked me sincerely what ONE table from any manufacturer or designer or era I want to see added to The Pinball Arcade, it would be the original High Speed for this reason.

Not only was it the first table with a soundtrack, it was the first table with a story. Before High Speed, every table was just "hit those bumpers", "clear those targets", "spin that spinner", "light that lamp", "get the ball in that hole", etc. High Speed was the first table that had a veritable narrative arc: "turn the traffic light yellow", "turn the traffic light red", "run the red light to get the cops chasing you", "get away from the cops". The historic nature of the addition of this level of depth can't be understated. FarSight has often said (quite rightly) that in addition to just making a video game that's fun to play, they want to function as a digital museum of pinball in order to bring pinball to a whole new generation of fans. The history behind High Speed demands that it be included in the collection.

Do I want to enjoy that supercharger and shifting gears and all the rest of it? You bet. But, I'd give that up if I knew I could only have one of the two.

That's a very nicely-written position on the topic. Thanks for sharing.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
High Speed 2 is my favorite table ever made. I've been asking about it since I participated on the facebook page.

Honestly I love both. I wouldn't even feel it was redundant if both came out in the same pack. The second game has such a great sound package that, while the first game may have been the first to tell a story...hs2 was the first to really make me feel engrosed in the story.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
That's a very nicely-written position on the topic. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Jared. BTW, I corrected the original post for a spelling error, and to change the word "understated" to "overstated" which, from the context, I'm sure you know I meant. :)

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
The Getaway, please. HS just doesn't have anything on it's sequel, except backglass art. I care about play first and foremost, and The Getaway is much more fun. The DMD, the shift plunger, "La Grange" (which might be the hang up, I admit), just add to how much it's better.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Both.

Then Jack Bot.

Then Black Knight 2000.

Then Earth Shaker.

It's cool having a complete collection of table and thier sequels, seeing the evolution and so forth.

I'd also just like to see full (or close to it) Richie/Lawlor pinographies. So Banzai Run, Earth Shaker, Road Show, F-14, No Fear, Monopoly, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Nascar to name a few more.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Here here to at least a Steve Ritchie (hell, throw Mark in there as well ;) ) pinographies. I doubt they could get the rights to Superman, but there's no reason we couldn't have Flash onwards. I wonder what sort of licensing hurdles FS would have to jump to get something like Rollergames... hmm.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
What memories I have are from playing the original HS. And so I've posted back in the poll as such. Having said that...

I just had the chance to play The Getaway last night while on my mini vacation here in NH. I don't think I've played it before,and I had a LOT of fun with it. That supercharger is something else. So I wouldn't mind both. But if I HAD to pick one,it would still be the original.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
The Getaway is my favorite pin of all time, but the original High Speed is damn good too. I love that plunge-to-ramp, it never gets old. I think HS actually flows a bit better than The Getaway.

I'd be happy with either, but I really do want both.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I just had the chance to play The Getaway last night while on my mini vacation here in NH. I don't think I've played it before,and I had a LOT of fun with it.

Me too, I think I played the same one! Managed to get into Multiball and nearly collected the Jackpot, but failed. Still, it's a fun game, very reminiscent of T2.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
HS2 is very fun, and on the challenge factor it has a GAPING left outlane with kickback.

The good news. the kickback sends the ball straight to burn rubber. and in the TPA version, it always will. :)

the BAD news. it doesn't relight at the start of ball. A great game can end in 2 minutes if you start having trouble with that outlane.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
+1 for High Speed 1. Why this table was overlooked for the Williams Collection in the first place is beyond me. It is an 80's classic.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.