How do YOU use the nudge?

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Hi guys

odd question...

I'm still quite new to this game, I use it on my tablet a lot (less on my phone). So I use my thumbs on the right and left side of the screen to use the flippers...
But for nudge, I would have to reach the center of the screen to nudge... And I just cannot do it...

Is there a way to change that?
I've seen you can shake the tablet to nudge, but, huh... bad idea ^^

so, how do you guys use the nudge yourself???

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Ok on my phone, I hold it with my left hand use my left thumb for the flipper, but the right hand I keep free and use my index finger for the flipper. Then just use my finger on the nudge zone. works well for me.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Go into Table Options, select Show Nudge Regions, then select Touch Scheme and cycle through until you find one that seems suitable. You can turn off Show Touch Regions if you want at that point, and you can also (on tables with special buttons like Black Knight and Medieval Madness) move the vertical positions of the buttons for easier reach.

I generally favor Touch Scheme E, which puts relatively small flipping zones in the corners with the nudging zones immediately above.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
If using touch inputs, I prefer 'touch layout'=E with 'invert nudge'=on, cradling the tablet portrait in both hands, and do all flipping and nudging using my thumbs.
Scheme E has the least distance to reach.

Not sure why you say you have to reach the centre of the tablet, the horizontal Left & Right nudges are on the sides of the screen.
Clip below shows the touch nudging areas.
evydyjev.jpg

'Re-configure of touch layouts' and 'invert which side of screen nudges in which direction' is explained in this post here...
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=113812

Last edited:

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
I didn't know there was a left and right nudge actually, I was just aware of the up nudge which is in the center of the screen. I'll try the stuff you guys said thanks a lot 

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
The issue with accelerometer based nudging (on iOS anyways) is that it's quite binary (there's either a nudge or not, no variable magnitude of nudge), and seems to assume that whenever the device is vertical, it's being nudged. Thus, if you're in a reclined position and holding the device vertically on your stomach, say, the table constantly "nudges" until it tilts. As a result, even though I play on a device that should be able to detect real physical nudges, I need to use touch nudging.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
On mobile I use shake nudging, on PC i use either analog nudge on the 360 pad or the G,H and space keys on the keyboard.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I use predominantly right/left touch nudging on my iPad, by stretching my index finger upwards the nudge area while keeping my thumb on the flipper. I use central nudging more inadvertently when my flipper thumb creeps to the middle of the screen because of an impending STDM drain (as if I personally want to stop the ball doing that). This often causes me to not flip the flipper I had to flip, so to speak.... :) I'm trying to experiment with central nudging more to see if it works in certain situations. It is especially useful in a table like Central Park but it's probably useful on more tables. I also tried diagnoal upwards nudging on a table like Centaur to steer the balls through the "narrow escape" gates, but to no avail. My brain is often not fast enough to select a certain type of nudge when a drain is impending, it's more of a reflex on most tables with varied results I might add. There are some situations that you can see coming from afar, like an incomplete left ramp in T2, that's an instant nudge to avoid the STDM.
Slam23

N

netizen

When I play touch, I use touch scheme F, i hold my Nexus 10 in Portrait perspective with my thumbs at around 40% and this gives me enough room to move them to any of the touch zones required. the L/R side nude zones are the most common, but the diagonal are just as accessible as the centre nudge.

Lately i have been playing about half my games with a controller on 'droid and it really messes with me for some reason. I feel so disconnected from the game. More so than when I play on the PC with a controller.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I use predominantly right/left touch nudging on my iPad, by stretching my index finger upwards the nudge area while keeping my thumb on the flipper. I use central nudging more inadvertently when my flipper thumb creeps to the middle of the screen because of an impending STDM drain (as if I personally want to stop the ball doing that). This often causes me to not flip the flipper I had to flip, so to speak.... :) I'm trying to experiment with central nudging more to see if it works in certain situations. It is especially useful in a table like Central Park but it's probably useful on more tables. I also tried diagnoal upwards nudging on a table like Centaur to steer the balls through the "narrow escape" gates, but to no avail. My brain is often not fast enough to select a certain type of nudge when a drain is impending, it's more of a reflex on most tables with varied results I might add. There are some situations that you can see coming from afar, like an incomplete left ramp in T2, that's an instant nudge to avoid the STDM.
Slam23

It's funny, in Centaur, with a controller i manage to diagonal nudge all the time, but pretty well 100% of the time i pick the wrong lateral direction and just kind of crade the ball onto the post and watch it gently bounce around the rubber post.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts